60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 8 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 60
10 May 2012 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
speaking of HP... anyone plans on reading the 7 books more than once?
Let's share ideas on how to reread them. Someone recommended the reverse order and it sounds fun, what else? I'm now in Poland and I've been mostly travelling by train, so I'll reread the parts that describe King's Cross and the Hogwarts Express. This should certainly be over 100 pages, IDK if over 500. If I'm in a nerdy mood I might compile an e-book for myself...
Another idea could be reading all descriptions of a certain class/subject, especially potions. And then going to Pottermore to brew a potion, using instructions in your target language!

When there's no football to watch I'll reread all quidditch scenes - plus maybe other flights on the broomsticks.

btw the HP wikia is a great resource for selective rereading. And it has links to wikis in other languages;)

Edited by Serpent on 10 May 2012 at 3:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4655 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 26 of 60
10 May 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Meh, stupid me, I've thought this thread is dedicated only to books and not movies... Ok, so some small copy-paste actions and:

I'd be glad for any recommendations if it comes to Russian (of course - and they would be even more appreciated - from Belarus, Ukraine, Uzbekistan etc. - the only requirements are Russian dialogues or at least subtitles) films (well, Czech too, but I know this "market" a bit better).

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 60
10 May 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Some suggestions for French, mostly suitable for people approaching B1, with a strong
bias towards science fiction:

* Vol, Vapeur, Vengeance: Very approachable steampunk. Uses the passé simple, available
on Kindle in the US, too.

* Un Tour du Monde: A great classic, despite some occasionally challenging vocabulary.
Uses the passé simple. Available for free on the Kindle.

* Nos amis les humains: A short SF novella in the present tense, with slightly more
modern conversational vocabulary. Available for the Kindle in France, but not the US.

* Le Petit Prince: More advanced, with extensive use of the passé simple (in the first
person, too!) and occasionally the imparfait du subjonctif. I saw this on LingQ along
with an audio book; I'm not sure if they licensed it.

* Nassim et Nassima: A short childrens' book about two friends growing up in
Afghanistan. I think it sticks to simpler verb tenses.

* Harry Potter: Ebooks are available from Pottermore in quite a few languages, and they
should work on almost any device. Uses the passé simple.

* Je mangerais bien un enfant: My favorite very short childrens' book, about a baby
crocodile who wants to grow big enough to eat a kid. Suitable for pre-schoolers with a
warped sense of humor, and short enough for bed-time.

In general, I think it's worth learning the 3rd person of the passé simple. There's a
couple dozen irregular stems that you'll need, but only two sets of regular endings.
And once you can read it, you have access to a much wider range of books.

Seriously, I was watching Buffy the other day, and Giles actually used the passé simple
to explain the history of vampires. It's everywhere in books, even summer-
beach-reading thrillers published in the last 10 years. French courses for English
readers tell me the passé simple is dead, but it looks awfully lively to me.

Television

"Buffy contre les vampires" is available as a giant, reasonably-priced box set on
Amazon.fr. You'll need a multi-region DVD player. And there are some good transcripts
here.

That's over 70 movies right there, going by the challenge rules. :-) The French dubbing
is quite good (and clearer than most genuine French series and movies), and you can use
any combination of French and English audio and subtitles. But the French subtitles
don't really match the French audio, which is why I recommend the transcripts.

Edited by emk on 10 May 2012 at 4:57pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5525 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 28 of 60
10 May 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
I was just thinking that TED videos with subtitles in the target language might be of interest to some people.

TED languages

Edited by Michael K. on 10 May 2012 at 10:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Loperamida
Bilingual Diglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4378 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English, French

Message 29 of 60
11 May 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I read in french " le tour du monde en 80 jours" Meanwhile I read I listen this audio
http://www.litteratureaudio.com/livre-audio-gratuit-mp3/jule s-verne-le-tour-du-monde-en-80-jours.html

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4847 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 30 of 60
11 May 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Loperamida wrote:
I read in french " le tour du monde en 80 jours" Meanwhile I read I listen this audio
http://www.litteratureaudio.com/livre-audio-gratuit-mp3/jule s-verne-le-tour-du-monde-en-80-jours.html

Thanks, I was just thinking of trying out Jules Verne in the original today.
Also, nice username. :P

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 31 of 60
11 May 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Heads Up! Amazon says that on June 19 all seven Harry Potter novels, in English, French,
Italian, German, and Spanish, will be part of the Kindle Lending Library.

I haven't been able to find digital versions of foreign language Harry Potter in the US,
so this was a pleasant surprise!

Loperamida
Bilingual Diglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4378 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English, French

Message 32 of 60
11 May 2012 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Loperamida wrote:
I read in french " le tour du monde en 80 jours" Meanwhile I
read I listen this audio

Thanks, I was just thinking of trying out Jules Verne in the original today.
Also, nice username. :P

Hahaha, Thanks. :)

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version