Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 49 of 60
24 March 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Hm. I wonder if i'll have time to actually read 50 whole books...
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 50 of 60
29 March 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Not 50 books, just 50*100 pages.

I'm reviewing every book I read this year in the TAC tandem log:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=35004

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq
Book 6: "Oni ne pafas en Jamburg" by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn
Book 7: "搭车去柏林" by 刘畅
Book 8: "Babel-17" by Samuel R. Delaney
Book 9: "Without Reserve" by Abigail Reynolds
Book 10: "Eine Billion Dollar" by Andreas Eschbach
Book 11: "La ABC de tempoplanado" by Lothar J. Seiwert.
Book 12: "Spanisch für Büffelmuffel"

Read the log to see what I thought of each.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 29 March 2013 at 8:00pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 51 of 60
29 March 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I've been wanting to read some silly children's literature:) Like for example in Russian there's Денискины рассказы, about two schoolboys getting into trouble all the time :D They're more fooling around than having any *epic adventures*. Any recs for this sort of stuff? (in Portuguese, Croatian, Italian, German or Polish)

I don't know if you're still looking for this kind of books... If so, try books by Edmund Niziurski in Polish. Kinda old, but there are lots of stories about schoolboys getting into trouble :).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 52 of 60
29 March 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I've been wanting to read some silly children's literature:) Like for example in Russian there's Денискины рассказы, about two schoolboys getting into trouble all the time :D They're more fooling around than having any *epic adventures*. Any recs for this sort of stuff? (in Portuguese, Croatian, Italian, German or Polish)

I don't know if you're still looking for this kind of books... If so, try books by Edmund Niziurski in Polish. Kinda old, but there are lots of stories about schoolboys getting into trouble :).

Cool! That's exactly what I need to revive my Polish; I've just ordered three of them through polstore.de. Julie, do you have any other recommendations for series of books for young readers in Polish? Ideally books for boys (adventure stories, detective stories etc.)...

Edited by Bakunin on 29 March 2013 at 10:13pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 53 of 60
29 March 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

I know, but i wonder if i could actually read 50 books.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 54 of 60
29 March 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

I know, but i wonder if i could actually read 50 books.

I love this blog of someone reading a book a day for a year:

http://www.readallday.org/blog/

Julie
Heptaglot
Joined 6699 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds

Message 55 of 60
29 March 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Cool! That's exactly what I need to revive my Polish; I've just ordered three of them through polstore.de.

Nice, which one did you choose? The books may sometimes seem a little bit outdated (although I remember buying one in the mid 1990s that was brand-new and set in the 1990s, in any case, be careful with any colloquial expressions!) and a bit on the hard side but they are for sure entertaining and sometimes hilarious (well, at least that's the way I remember them :)).

Quote:
Julie, do you have any other recommendations for series of books for young readers in Polish? Ideally books for boys (adventure stories, detective stories etc.)...

Try Krzysztof Petek - adventure/thriller stories for older teenagers/young adults, quite a lot of actions, mysteries, pretty grim and brutal for teen literature (in a positive way). I read only the series "Porachunki z przygodą", no idea about the other books.

"Tropiciele złoczyńców" by Aleksander Minkowski (pen name Alex Hunter) are much lighter - detective stories, quite similar in terms of style and content to "The Three Investigators" / "Die Drei ???", set in Warsaw but the action could take place pretty much anywhere (in contrary to books by Petek which are pretty much set in the Polish reality, if I remember correctly).

The series of adventure books about Tomek Wilmowski, written by Alfred Szklarski - that's pretty old and had a cult status in the generation of my parents and partly in mine (among boys, at least). Tomek travels to remote places all over the world (Australia, Africa, South America etc.), looks for hidden treasures, meets remote tribes etc. I'm not sure how accurate the descriptions of the faraway places are, or whether the books are always politically correct. In any case, I remember the books were real page-turners.

I'm going to think about some more suggestions, I read a lot of adventure/detective stories in my childhood/teen years.

Edited by Julie on 29 March 2013 at 11:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
Joined 6699 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds

Message 56 of 60
29 March 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I had a look at polstore.de and scrolled through some of its offer for young readers. Apart from lots of low-quality books for young grils ;), here is what I found:

"Felix, Net i Nika..." by Rafał Kosik - it's a whole series, supposedly real page-turners and very well-written.

"Tropiciele" by Małgorzata Karolina Piekarska - I haven't read this one either but I think it could be good. I know the author from another book she wrote for young readers ("Klasa Pani Czajki" - I liked it a lot but might be too cheesy and boring when you are not at the target age anymore) and from her articles, and she's got a good writing style.

"Marta Patton i..." - I've written about it in the previous post - just posting a link to one of the books as it could be difficult to find otherwise.

"Pan Samochodzik..." - a cult adventure/detective series of my parents' generation. For some reason I never really got to read it but thousands of books sold can't lie ;).

"Czarne stopy" by Seweryna Szmaglewska, "Stawiam na Tolka Banana" by Adam Bahdaj - adventure stories, I read them both years ago and don't remember a lot but for sure they weren't bad. I got a feeling they might have gotten a bit outdated, though.

If you don't mind translations, Carrie Ryan, Robert Muchamore and Suzanne Collins are worth looking at (if you haven't tried them already in other languages ;)).

Edited by Julie on 30 March 2013 at 12:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version