languagechallenge.su
Joined 4397 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 73 of 76
05 January 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Happy 2014 everybody!

I've just arrived back from my summer holiday (sometimes it's wonderful living in the
southern hemisphere) and read through all the comments. There's obviously been a lot of
thought put into this and there are some really good suggestions. I think we'll be able to
put together a 2014/15 challenge that suits most people and avoids some of the problems we
ran into with our first attempt!

Before Cristina and I sort out some of the details, I thought I'd throw a few thoughts of my
own out here. So in no particular order:

- It looks as though there are going to be a few major changes, so starting in May suits me
better than scrambling to get the bot updated now. I'm going to shut off the current version
soon, then aim to have a temporary version up and running until the challenge starts in May
so that the people who want to record their study can do so.

- The totals/values won't be carried over to the new challenge, as others have mentioned,
this isn't fair to newcomers. However if there's enough interest a running total could be
kept somewhere and somehow. The data isn't going to be destroyed when the current bot shuts
down.

- Personally, I enjoyed having separate graphs/counts for different languages. It made it
easier to keep track of what I needed to study. An option I think could work for the next
round would be to keep the same language distinction, but remove the 'registration' step so
that people who want to record those 12 pages of Xhosa can do so easily. The rankings would
be done on totals with options to drill down into individual languages if people want.

- The subject of beginners vs advanced people is difficult. I could add a column for A1-C2,
but this changes as people advanced. Perhaps a simple tag "beginner", "intermediate" or
"advanced" could be used when people sign up, it's a little less strict and instead of being
used in calculations to try and compare people it would just give an idea of where people
were when they started the challenge.

- Changing from books/films to pages/hours(or minutes) seems like a good idea to me. The
display can still estimate the number of books if we want, but looking through the tweets
almost everybody used minutes and pages to report their study.

- I think that keeping this challenge simple should be a primary focus this time around. It
sounded impressive doing a Super Duper Challenge or an Advanced Mega Challenge but all the
different options segmented the group and made it complicated to sign up. Which leads on to
the major point:

- I like the idea of a single challenge with awards (stars, blue ribbons, whatever) along
the way. It's easy to tie in a common goal (the "Super Challenge") and at the same time lets
people do as little or as much as they want.

So as I mentioned, I'll shut down the current language bot within the next few days and
archive the standings. The bot will then be switched over to the new system once we've
decided upon it, and it can be improved (and used) up until the challenge starts in May.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 74 of 76
05 January 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
It all sounds excellent, Surrealix! I really like the idea of it keeping a running total in some way (e.g. a "Current Total" vs a "Running Total").

And the idea simple ways to include work for other languages would be helpful. It might encourage me to continue bits of work on my "minor" languages.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 75 of 76
05 January 2014 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Yes, sounds great!
As for running totals, it would be good to show them only individually for each member, but not as an all-time ranking.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 76 of 76
18 January 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
The winners have now been declared in

WINNERS SC 2014
THREAD

And we can continue the discussion on the Super Challenge 2014 in this new

SUPER
CHALLENGE 2014-15 DISCUSSION THREAD

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 18 January 2014 at 3:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version