United States
Joined 6248 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 25 of 91
18 May 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Coheed wrote:
I don't know about the most suprised reaction, but the most surprising reaction I
witnessed is that of an old lady in Sweden who looked insulted when my friend spoke to
her in Swedish. The lady replied to us in English only and never uttered a single word of
Swedish. My friend, stubborn as he is, kept speaking in Swedish and the lady kept coming
back to English for a somewhat nebulous reason.

Swedes have indeed a very good knowlegde of English, we'll give them credits for that,
but such an instinct of self-denial is unjustifiable. Be proud of your culture!

My father was in the Air Force and was stationed in Germany for a while. He studied German to a pretty decent level, but he said he would try to talk to a German in German and they would just reply in English. I guess maybe they wanted to practice their English, too?

Edited by IronFist on 18 May 2012 at 6:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

ling
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
Joined 4397 days ago

61 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Indonesian, Thai

Message 26 of 91
18 May 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Last year I said "Thank you very much" in Atayal to a sausage vendor in the town of Wulai, Taiwan. His reaction was a stunned "How the hell did you know that??"
5 persons have voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5050 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 91
18 May 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
While French speakers haven't reacted with "shock" when we conversed, several of them asked me where I learned
it, adding that Americans usually don't speak French. Some of them asked if I was Canadian! Not sure if that was
a comment on my accent or just surprised that an American could hold her own in a conversation...

COF
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 

Message 28 of 91
18 May 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

I appreciate the encouragement, but everything I said was met with complete shock. I showed her a Korean textbook I had and she was totally surprised/impressed that I could read basic hanguel letters/clusters. I wanted to do a reading dialogue exercise with her but she insisted on starting at the beginning to make sure I could read. She would point to them and I would read them. She was very excited that I got them all right, except for a few of the diphthongs that I got confused.

Would you say her suprise about your ability to read Hangul was because she thought that Hangul was so different to the Latin alphabet that she incorrectly believed it would be impossible or at least extremely difficult for a foreigner to ever learn to read it?

Or would you say it was more a case she couldn't believe anyone would want to learn to speak Korean, much less read it so she was suprised you had put the effort in?

Edited by COF on 18 May 2012 at 5:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 91
18 May 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I had been looking at a board with some advertisements for catamaran tours in Portugal, and after that I had spoken to the ticket seller in Portuguese. At some point he asked me how long time I had been in Portugal since I could speak Portugal so well (Warning: when you hear that you know that your Portuguese isn't perfect). I told him that I had been there for half a day, and that I had arrived at the airport the evening before. Then he looked incredulously at me and exclaimed (in Portuguese): "You have learnt to speak Portuguese in half a day???" And he got hold of several collegues and pointed at me and said "that guy has learnt to speak Portuguese in half a day!" I tried to explain that I had been studying the language for several years at home, but to no avail - he was too stupefied to listen.

Edited by Iversen on 18 May 2012 at 8:55pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 91
18 May 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I was in Venlo in the Netherlands today and there was a German person who wanted to beg for money from me and I spontanously decided to chase him away by saying in Esperanto to him: "Mi ne parolas la Germanan lingvon!" (which means: "I don't speak German"). He seemed to be really shocked in hearing such an unknown language that he ran away immediately!

Fasulye
13 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 31 of 91
19 May 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Vietnamese last week after three weeks of study: not only was he so surprised that he had to go and get his colleague to show him the foreigner that speaks Vietnamese butI was surprised he understood my tone attempts.

Pity I only know about 200 words and a similar number of chunks. I am tempted to carry on with it!

4 persons have voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6248 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 32 of 91
20 May 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:

Would you say her suprise about your ability to read Hangul was because she thought that Hangul was so different to the Latin alphabet that she incorrectly believed it would be impossible or at least extremely difficult for a foreigner to ever learn to read it?

Or would you say it was more a case she couldn't believe anyone would want to learn to speak Korean, much less read it so she was suprised you had put the effort in?

I think it was just that white people reading Korean is outside her reality and so it didn't register at first and she was surprised. She was also really nice and encouraging, so there could've been a little of that mixed in.

Kind of like the first time I saw a black person speak German. I was just like what? My brain has never seen a black person speak German before. This is crazy! And then after a few minutes I was over it.

It has nothing to do with racism, it's just something you've never seen before, so you can't help but "stare."

Your mind groups stuff together.

Imagine if you met a white person who grew up in China and spoke English with a legitimate Chinese accent. It would catch you off guard.

But a Chinese person with a Chinese accent wouldn't even phase you.

She thought it was cool that I wanted to learn Korean, but I think she was just surprised to see a non-Korean who could read it because how often do you encounter that?

Edited by IronFist on 20 May 2012 at 10:06pm

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version