91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 11 12 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 41 of 91
21 May 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Have you ever been to the Netherlands and experienced it, then? Seems like this is your holy cow of some sort, but trust me, if someone speaks good Dutch I am more than willing to indulge them. And so would most people I know - those who don't are really also being lazy with the effort...
5 persons have voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 91
21 May 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
The only country I've visited where the locals very rarely reply in English is Spain.

Even if your Spanish is poor, speak to a Spaniard in Spanish and you can almost guarantee a reply back in Spanish, even in touristy areas.

I'm not sure whether it's because their English proficiency is typically poor, or whether its because they're so used to hearing all sorts of different Spanish accents both in Spain and from across the world that a foreign accent in Spanish doesn't phase them and nor does poor/different use of grammar, so they're prepared to keep the conversation going in Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 43 of 91
21 May 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Have you ever been to the Netherlands and experienced it, then? Seems like this is your holy cow of some sort, but trust me, if someone speaks good Dutch I am more than willing to indulge them. And so would most people I know - those who don't are really also being lazy with the effort...

I suspect you'd have to be bordering on fluency or at least a solid advanced level for your typical Dutchman to speak to you in Dutch.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 44 of 91
21 May 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried it, then?

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4560 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 45 of 91
21 May 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
tarvos wrote:

I suspect you'd have to be bordering on fluency or at least a solid advanced level for your typical Dutchman to speak to you in Dutch.

That's why I recommend that people go to Flanders.
In Flanders, the Dutch language is preferred to/over English, even by/among youngsters who speak excellent English (better than people in the Netherlands).

Edited by Camundonguinho on 21 May 2012 at 1:45pm

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 46 of 91
21 May 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I have bought train tickets and the Amsterdam Strippenkaart using the Dutch language and the person behind the counter spoke back to me in Dutch. Being Scottish and knowing German, I don't find the guttural Dutch sounds too difficult to replicate. So perhaps I sounded passably Dutch for a moment. Or maybe the person behind the counter was actually pleased to hear an outsider attempt Dutch in a comprehensible fashion. I think this idea that every Dutch person answers a query from a foreigner in English is something of an over-exaggeration, and when they do switch, it's probably nearly always a genuine attempt be inclusive and polite.

Edited by beano on 21 May 2012 at 5:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4433 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 47 of 91
21 May 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
People keep talking about how the Dutch answer back in English. One way of avoiding this would be to speak with a (for example) Russian accent and pretend not to understand English. (Obviously it could be anything besides an English, American, etc. accent.)

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 48 of 91
21 May 2012 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

People would have to speak Norwegian at a very high level for Norwegians not to switch into English. I guess it is linked to the fact that everyone's English here is so good. You choose the language in which you assume that conversation will flow most easily. I think it also comes from a misguided sense of being helpful and polite.

And actually yes, it does come largely from listening to pop music and films, but we do also start to learn it at age 6 (or before) and we have an extremely high quality in our English teaching. The combination produces fantastic results. My daughters were both fluent in English at the age of 10-12 (and when I say fluent I mean better than me, who majored in English at the university).

So, how does it work for foreign people who live and work in Norway? I assume virtually nobody arrives in the country already fluent in Norwegian and newcomers will instead build initial relationships with local people via English.

But what if someone decides to stay long-term and actually enjoys learning and using the Norwegian language? Do the local people welcome these efforts? Do they in fact expect people who spend years in the country to become proficient in Norwegian? After all, if an Italian came to the UK with poor English and 10 years later still hadn't improved it, nobody would take that person very seriously in the job market.

You can't become a confident speaker overnight, and relationships already firmly established din English might be hard to reverse. There are probably people who move to Scandanavia who have absolutely no intention of ever learning the relevant language, but there must also be many who want to try and require support and encouragement.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version