Message 113 of 119
22 February 2013 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Spanky wrote:
It's a deal Travis.

Happy October 19th everyone!

the long wait is over - Community

It said I couldn't see it in this country :-(

Weird, I can't get it any more, apparently no longer available on this side of the pond either.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 114 of 119
22 February 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I've been absent from studying for a while due to other competing demands, so naturally I am pretty sure I have already forgotten just about anything I may have managed to have learned last year.

I hope to start working through some of the team Romulan challenges just get back into French learning.   Challenge #1 - describe yourself in five sentences. Here is what I intend to submit to lang-8 (name of Evil Abed, just for fun), I'll post any corrections received in due course:

Permettez-moi de me présenter à toute personne interessée. Je m'appelle M. Abed le Diabolique, et j'habite en ce moment à Vancouver, Canada.   Quand je serai plus âgé, j'habiterai sur un radeau de bois sur l'océan, peut-être avec un tigre avec qui je pourrai manger des tourtes.   J'aime des tourtes.

J'ai un secret très grave: J'ai grande peur des araignées. Quand j'étais jeune, ma mère devait tuer toutes les araignées dans la maison, parce que mon père, ma soeur et moi, nous étions montés sur des chaises, criant.

English version of what I was attempting to say:

Permit me to introduce myself to anyone who may be interested.    I am Evil Abed and I live at present in Vancouver, Canada. When I am much older, I will live on a wooden raft on the sea, perhaps with a tiger with whom I can eat pies.   I love pi.

I have a very serious secret: I am terrified of spiders. When I was younger, my mother would have to kill any spiders we saw indoors while my father, my sister and I would all stand on chairs screaming.   

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 115 of 119
22 February 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Corrections now received to the French text in the previous post: 8.com/542783/journals/13821641772812195184532563773486629482 0/Permettez-moi-de-me-
pr%25C3%25A9senter-%25C3%25A0-toute-personne-interess%25C3%2 5A9e">lang-8
corrections

1. Suggestion to not follow "permettez-moi de me présenter" with additional text

2. correcting "j'aime des tourtes" to "les tourtes" (should actually be
"tartes" as I intended to reference sweet rather than savoury pies)

3. "en criant" rather than "criant"

4. and very helpfully an introduction to the verb "se réfugier", which may
become useful now that the weather is improving and les araignées are waking up
for
the spring season of tormenting me.

5. Also, "J'ai très peur" or "J'ai une grande peur" rather than "J'ai
grande peur"

Edited by Spanky on 22 February 2013 at 4:24pm

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5007 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 116 of 119
23 February 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Welcome back, Spanky!

Good to know about the "tartes/tourtes" distinction, "se réfugier" and that "réfugiions" spelling.

By happy coincidence, I'm in the middle of reading
Life of Pi (in English and French
texts), so particularly appreciated your "Pi"-scine references.

To make long links work, you may find this site handy: http://tinyurl.com. It's a
free site. Paste in the the long URL you wish to shorten (e.g. the path to a specific book on Amazon, or in your
case, the long link above to your Lang-8 entry). Click on "Make tinyurl"; Copy and paste the new, shorter URL, et
voilà!

http://tinyurl.com/ade94x9

There's also an option to personalize it, for example:
http://tinyurl.com/Spankylang8-1

I gather that (as a general guideline? - or just for this site?), one should try to not "break" links over two lines. So
if there's preceding text in your sentence which will make the URL too long to fit on one line, try to either give it a
fresh line without a line break in the URL, or use something like Tinyurl to shorten it.

I think Htlal also has problems with long URLs anyway, even if they fit on one line.

Edited by songlines on 23 February 2013 at 4:53am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 117 of 119
26 February 2013 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
You can also use the link button at the top of the post-reply box (looks like the Earth with a chain link in front). Then you can give your link a short name like this. Then there is no problem with this site's software inserting spaces.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 118 of 119
26 March 2013 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Thanks songlines and Brun Ugle.   

I have not been studying much at all lately just because of Stuff. I should have increasing opportunity to study from now forward, with the possible exception of 3 weeks straddling end of April and middle of May.

However, I have recklessly decided (despite not yet knowing French) to start studying Spanish. Because I am an idiot. Separate log.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4402 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 119 of 119
27 March 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:

However, I have recklessly decided (despite not yet knowing French) to start studying
Spanish. Because I am an idiot. Separate log.

I've been fighting a number of battles lately. German, Spanish and Welsh have all
featured in deluded fantasies of mine during long periods of not being able to study
French or Gaelic. At the end of the day, do what ever you feel comfortable with. If you
have the urge to tackle Spanish, why not?

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version