Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4152 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 81 of 140
14 January 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
"Har du gillat "Svenska med sång"? De där sångerna är som sånger till barn men man kan
sjunga alla."

Yeah I've looked at it, it's pretty good! I'm getting more & more used to speaking
Swedish. Thinking about starting to cover songs on my guitar and try to sing them as
well. Thanks for the link!

And it is indeed very usefull that they have Swedish subtitles on SVT, makes it very good
to follow since I would be a bit more lost if they didn't have them.

It's also a good feeling when you hear them say something but the subtitles are not the
entire sentence, but you still understood what they said :)
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 140
14 January 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
So, subtitles vs no subtitles: 2-0 ;)

Yeah, normally the subs capture the meaning of the dialogue rather than transcribe it word for word. (Usually it's a matter of time and space, what the viewer can grasp in a split second, and how much text one can display before the next line- it might be a movie with quick dialogue)

It's good to hear that you find subs useful!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 83 of 140
19 January 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Julie! I'm just dropping by to wish you good luck and give you a few corrections as promised.

First of all, I have to admit the last 2,5 weeks were pretty much lost for any serious learning.

In English, we use a decimal point rather than a decimal comma, so to say two and one half we would right
2.5 rather than 2,5. In English, 2.500 means two and one half, while 2,500 means two thousand five hundred.

I read a couple of news on this website. 

I would write "a couple of news articles", since "a couple of news" just doesn't make sense in English. 

that I made a very bad classroom experience with in just in the very beginning... pretty traumatic ;) 

If you say "make an experience", it truly means that you CAUSE it - for example, "You made this day a
wonderful experience for him." I think what you meant to say is, "I HAD a very bad classroom experience,"
which indicates that whatever it was happened to you, but you didn't intentionally will it. 

I felt like I missed to much,

This might have been a typo, but "too" should have two O's, since here it means "as well" and does not
indicate direction or accompany an infinitive.

I wish I found this earlier

This should be "I wish I HAD found this earlier".

The songs are very melodic and easy to sing along

This doesn't sound quite natural. You either need to say "and IT'S easy to sing along" or change it to "and
easy to sing along TO".

I also learned/revised some vocabulary

I think you mean "reviewed", not "revised". "To revise" means "to edit", so this sounds like you are changing
the vocabulary.

(5 x 1,5 hours)

This should be "1.5" hours.

to be replaced by the name of any punctuation mark you are very much in need at the moment

This should be "you are very much in need OF". The phrase is "to be in need OF", so make sure you don't
leave out the "of".  :)

a GREAT deal of overdue revisions

I would change this to "reviews".

before January, 1st

In English we do not put a comma between the name of the month and the date. (Do you ever do that in
Polish? I have no idea! :))

I know it sounds hardly impressive . . . but the avid reader I was in my child and teen years, I don't read
many novels these days

I understand what you mean, but I would change "but the avid reader I was in my child and teen years" to "in
spite of the fact that I was an avid reader in my child and teen years" or "despite being an avid reader in my
child and teen years". Right now the sentence sounds incomplete. What are you reading, by the way?

In my local library in Switzerland, there were tons of BDs. I was so busy with books, audiobooks, movies
and music though, that I've never even taken a look at them. :(

From what I can tell, you mean you used to live in Switzerland and that you never took advantage of the
library while you were there. If this is the case, you should switch the "I've never even taken" to "I never even
took". If you use present perfect, it makes it sound as if you STILL live in Switzerland but you just haven't had
time to look YET. If you use past simple, it is clear that your window of opportunity to look at the material has
passed because you no longer live there. 

Lastly, these might have been typos, but "intellectual" has two L's, not one, and it is "enrichment", not
"enrichement".

Your English is really very good - I had to sift through the content of several long posts to find as many
corrections as I did, and you used lots of idioms and colloquial language perfectly.  I hope my comments
were useful! :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 19 January 2013 at 6:16pm

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4152 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 84 of 140
31 January 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Jag ska försöka att skriva svenska nu.

Det är tyst här Julie! Jag vet att du är upptaget men hur mår du och den svensk studie?
Jag tittar på Wallander och Solsidan med svensk undertexter nu, det är bra och inte så
svårt! Så när du har tid, titta på den förste episode av Solsidan. Det är jätteroligt.

I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 85 of 140
31 January 2013 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Hej Kez, jag vet att det är mycket tyst här, men jag kommer att ha flera tid nu, alltså jag ska skriva om min studie snart. Och vi ska tala med varandra med/på/? Skype! Det ska vara jätteroligt!

I hope I didn't make too many mistakes either ;). I found one in your post: it should be "du är upptageN", I think. If you find any mistakes in mine, let me know, sometimes it's much easier to find mistakes in someone else's writing.

Amerykanka, thank you so much for your corrections! I've been crazy busy recently but I'm going to update my log soon, and hopefully I'll manager to avoid some of the mistakes :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 86 of 140
31 January 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
På Skype låter bättre, jag tycker, men som alltid skulle en svensk bekräfta det. Jag vet
också inte om man kan säga att man har flera tid, jag skulle ha sagt mycket (fri?) tid
(eller helt enkelt "jag har nu tid"). Flera betyder "several".

Edit: I just googled "flera tid", and it gives 7000 hits or so. My hunch is that "mycket
tid" or some variant is much more common, although I couldn't tell you exactly what the
right form should be, ask Jeff.

Edited by tarvos on 31 January 2013 at 3:06pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 87 of 140
31 January 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Tarvos, mycket tack! Jag ville säga "more time", och inte "a lot of time". Jag har inte läst hur man säger "more" på svenska, och darför har jag använt min ordbok, men det är sällan en bra ide!

I rarely have a lot of time :). I talked recently with a friend of mine who had been crazy busy in the last days as well and is generally as busy as me, and we agreed that luckily, we went back from 'crazy busy' to our normal 'very busy' schedule ;).

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 140
31 January 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
It's 'mer tid'.

'på Skype' is the normal way to express things. (cf. 'på MSN', 'på Youtube', 'på HTLAL'...)

I'd say 'Det kommer att bli jätteroligt' - 'kommer att' instead of 'ska' (no obligation, no weather forecast... cf 'Det ska bli snö i morgon');'bli' instead of 'vara' (it just sounds better).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 140 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version