Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5241 days ago

19 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Latvian
Studies: German, Arabic (classical), French

Message 1 of 21
13 August 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, well, my question is not as stupid as it might sound at the first
sight:)
So, I'm considering applying for studies in Belgium with this Erasmus program. All or
most of my studies would be in French, it would start on February. The only thing that
worries me (apart from huuge living expenses:)) is whether I'll be able to master my
French skills in these 5 months. I'm not an absolute beginner and I'm already learning
it myself but at the moment I know very little.

When I think that I've been learning English (in which I'm so far closest to fluent,
compared with other foreign languages I know )for so long and I'm still facing
difficulties , and remember all these people saying: "French...but it's so hard' and
realize that it's not that I'll just be living in francophone environment but also have
to write exams, academic papers, understand the lecturers and speak myself (I'm
studying social sciences by the way), I get really scared. On the other hand, it seems
I'll be having some French courses there as well, and language knowledge increases
rapidly when you hear it everywhere around and learn at the same time. And this short
term, well, I might have little time but a great courage and motivation to learn.

So,j'espère que vous comprenez mon souci:) Do you think these 5 months would be enough?
Have you had similar experiences?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 21
13 August 2012 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Since nobody has answered yet, I'll chip in with my two cents here. I managed to take
my French from a self-assessed A2+ to a B2 certificate in 4 months. In theory, this
would permit me to take university classes in France.

So, yeah, I think you can be ready by February, because I've done something similar.
But you'll have to work pretty hard.

First of all, don't be intimidated by French. It seems hard at the beginning because
the spelling and pronunciation are weird. But you already know quite a bit of English,
so in the long run, French will be easy. It shares an enormous amount of vocabulary
with English, and the verb system is simpler than some of the other Romance languages.

Second, how hard will you have to work? Well, you're trying to cram almost 10 years of
typical US French classes into 5 months. So this isn't a matter of spending 40 minutes
with a grammar workbook every night. It's going to need to be a major lifestyle
change.

Here's a rough schedule which will give you an idea:

- 2 hours of high-quality study per day. This is looking stuff up in dictionaries,
rewinding the same audio clip a zillion times, writing on lang-8, and looking up
grammar questions.

- 2 hours of medium-quality study per day. This is paying close attention to French
text, audio or TV, and trying to understand as much as you can.

- Lots of 10-minute blocks of Anki reviews. Figure on learning at least 20 new cards
per day, and maybe more like 30+ (which is hard core after a couple of months).

- As many hours of passive exposure as you can manage. Internet radio, rap music,
French TV, whatever.

- A lot of French conversation.

Now, you might need more or less time, or a different breakdown. But if you want to go
from "very little" French to taking university classes in French by next February,
you're going to need get a bit obsessive for a while.

12 persons have voted this message useful

Anno
Triglot
Israel
acquiringkorean.word
Joined 5433 days ago

29 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English, Korean, Dutch
Studies: Turkish, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 3 of 21
13 August 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I would suggest using Duolingo as well. I didn't know any French when I've
started but I've found it very helpful (and fun!).

--
Hebrew Learning Blog
Korean Learning Blog

"The key to success is making a million mistakes. . now let's make as many as fast as we can!"

Edited by Anno on 13 August 2012 at 9:52am

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4574 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 4 of 21
13 August 2012 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Jurga wrote:
and remember all these people saying: "French...but it's so hard'

It's always hard to start a new language from scratch... Unlike English, French appears very hard from the
begining, but then the difficulty will decrease as you study it.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4461 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 21
13 August 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
One more tip for you - it may be easier to learn French through English, switching in your native language only in parts of your study. At least for me, all the grammar and lot of the vocabulary is much easier from English then from Czech.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 21
13 August 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
The golden rule - the more time you spend on it, the sooner you'll see rewards. So how
long it takes is entirely up to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 7 of 21
13 August 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
If it's of any consolation, understanding lectures is relatively easy, and most probably
you won't pass any exams or write academic papers right in the beginning.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 21
13 August 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
If it's of any consolation, understanding lectures is relatively easy, and
most probably you won't pass any exams or write academic papers right in the beginning.

If I had to start university classes in French this fall, my biggest fear would be
listening comprehension and long written exams. I already know from taking the DELF B2
that I can read and write under pressure, and that I can give rudimentary
presentations. Homework would take me at least 3 times as long as a native speaker. So,
anything I could do outside of class would be painfully hard, but possible.

But my listening comprehension is still unreliable: I can go from understanding
everything to catching only the general gist of a conversation, typically due to
accents, casual speech between natives, and specialized vocabulary. So if I would up in
a class with a professor who mumbled, in a regional accent, and who tested us on
material from the lectures, I'd be in serious trouble.

Basically, to do university-level work with B2 language skills, you're going to need
some support from the university (easier classes, professors who speak clearly, classes
aimed at FLE students, or whatever), and you're going to need to work really hard.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version