Joined 5335 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 21
14 August 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Err, these are of course fake videos, part of an ad for a pen brand.
The answers are scripted to be as stupid as possible...

Well, yes. :-) I did try to communicate that fact, though not very clearly:

emk wrote:
Now, I'm sure those students are really actors

But sadly, the same sorts of things happen outside of Bic ads. For example, France
recently instituted a cultural test for new citizens, and Europe 1 decided to quiz some
lycéens. The results were predictable and a little sad:

Quote:
Alors que ce test est censé être abordable pour les élèves de primaire, il
s'avère, en réalité, difficile pour les lycéens. "A qui associez-vous l'Arc de
triomphe? Jules César", répond au micro d'Europe 1, un lycéen à la sortie de son
établissement. "En quelle année, l'esclavage a été aboli? 1918, 1968… Je n'y arrive
pas...", se demande un autre lycéen.

And this certainly isn't unique to France. As the US press is fond of pointing out, 6%
of US students can't find our country on a map, and 12% can't find Mexico.

Which brings me to my larger point: It's easy to imagine that all university students
can write eloquent and persuasive 20-page term papers in their native language, using
appropriate academic vocabulary. But in reality, lots of students would have trouble
meeting that standard, at least here in the US.

Anyway, I hope I've explained my point semi-coherently this time.

DaraghM wrote:
Do you think your French might actually have been higher than A2+, and
may have been at B1? Am I correct in stating that you took a long, but very consistent
journey, to your self assessed A2+ level ?

There's a lot more details in my log, but basically I studied French for two years, and
maintained it consistently for two years. During the maintenance time, I had passive
exposure to about 1,000 hours of repetitive, comprehensible French. At the end of this
period, I could read a non-fiction book in a month with a dictionary, carry on a
rudimentary conversation and passively understand "household" French around B1. My
grammar was pretty atrocious, I couldn't understand easy news radio, and I would have
flunked the DELF B1.

But it's definitely possible to learn French quickly from scratch. The US Foreign
Service Institute takes students from zero to ILS 3/3 (about C1) in 24 weeks. That
involves 7 to 9 hours per day of classes and homework, 5 days per week. To be fair, FSI
classes can be pretty brutal: 500+ vocab words per week, students breaking down in
tears, and all that stuff. But this suggests that going from beginner French to B2 in 5
months is definitely possible, with a lot of work.
4 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4481 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 18 of 21
14 August 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
vermillon wrote:
Err, these are of course fake videos, part of an ad for a pen brand.
The answers are scripted to be as stupid as possible...

Well, yes. :-) I did try to communicate that fact, though not very clearly:

emk wrote:
Now, I'm sure those students are really actors

But sadly, the same sorts of things happen outside of Bic ads. For example, France
recently instituted a cultural test for new citizens, and Europe 1 decided to quiz some
lycéens. The results were predictable and a little sad:

Quote:
Alors que ce test est censé être abordable pour les élèves de primaire, il
s'avère, en réalité, difficile pour les lycéens. "A qui associez-vous l'Arc de
triomphe? Jules César", répond au micro d'Europe 1, un lycéen à la sortie de son
établissement. "En quelle année, l'esclavage a été aboli? 1918, 1968… Je n'y arrive
pas...", se demande un autre lycéen.

Oh, I had missed that point, and was rather surprised that you could have missed that. :)
Honestly, I don't know when the slavery has been abolished in France (now I know...) but this question is clearly not as central to French history as it is to the USA's one (or at least not perceived as such), and I don't think it's even ever been taught. But for the rest, indeed you can easily find what in French we call "perles du bac" (pearls) with astonishing answers from ignorant students.

Edited by vermillon on 14 August 2012 at 8:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4274 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 19 of 21
31 August 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I don't know if this will apply for Belgian universities and if it will be any help for you but in France :
- Foreign students can usually identify themselves as foreign during the exams and the correcter will usually be more lenient on both the level of French that is used and the content;
- It could be very hard to take notes during a lecture but I believe you could easily get someone else's notes;
- I don't know if this widely applies but Quebec law students coming to France can choose to take only "minor subjects" which also happens to be the ones in which you will not be required to produce advanced papers, which require very little (if any) work and in which you can get better grades (though not always).

Edited by Tsopivo on 31 August 2012 at 12:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4712 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 21
10 September 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
My sister did something very similar to this way back in 1983, but very much on the spur
of the moment. We were travelling in Belgium during the summer, and someone we were
staying with convinced her to enrol in a masters programme in language translation
(conducted in French) with only about 6 weeks to go. She was fluent in Spanish, and knew
a little French. I don't know all the details, but she got a tutor and studied French
the whole time. She didn't have access to podcasts, srs software, DVD's, etc, etc. She
just immersed the old-fashioned way, along with the help of her tutor and friends.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5759 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 21 of 21
29 September 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
How long to learn French? A kingly long time. And not a near king.

Yes, that's right: a Far King Long Time.   

(Don't listen to me - that is just personal bitterness speaking, plus I recently watched Johnny Dangerously.)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version