Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5241 days ago

19 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Latvian
Studies: German, Arabic (classical), French

Message 9 of 21
13 August 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
OK, thank you guys. I believe now I could do that... And I have just realized that the
biggest part of language knowledge actually comes not from the textbooks... I guess I
need to get some kind of inspiration (like a band maybe...not sure) that would make me
really willing to understand (therefore learn) French.

But first of all, I've got to get this nomination for studies by my university anyway. I
could make some grammar exercises meanwhile ;) And thanks everyone for the tips! Тhe wide
range of learning material is a bit confusing sometimes.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 10 of 21
13 August 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Basically, to do university-level work with B2 language skills, you're going to need
some support from the university (easier classes, professors who speak clearly, classes
aimed at FLE students, or whatever), and you're going to need to work really hard.

Well, as an Erasmus student, the requirements for his work won't be that high. I once had a roommate from the francophone Switzerland who didn't speak a (comprehensible) word of German the day she arrived in Germany. She somehow managed to attend university nevertheless, learned some decent German during the course of one semester, and even prolonged her stay in Germany for an additional semester. Of course, I had to review her presentations (she was studying political science) and correct her papers, but she managed to survive.
I don't know if you're intending to do exams and get credits, but quite often Erasmus students simply enjoy being abroad. I have never known an Erasmus student who was overwhelmed by the work he had to do, regardless of the foreign language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jurga
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5241 days ago

19 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Latvian
Studies: German, Arabic (classical), French

Message 11 of 21
13 August 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Well, it depends. Almost everyone I know somehow seem not to have faced serious problems
with the language after all. Usually lecturers are understanding and they at least allow
to use dictionaries in exams, for example. France though is known for very strict
attitude and no exceptions are made for foreign students in some universities. Well, no
matter what is said I'm still a bit scared:)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 21
13 August 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I think most people would agree that it is the active skills (speaking and writing) that are the most difficult to master. To add to the excellent advice that others (@emk in particular) have given, I would suggest working with recordings and transcripts and, ultimately, get some private tutoring if that is an option.

I don't think that one can reach the ability to write university-level term papers in 5 months. In fact, I think that any presentation or paper should be revised by a native speaker. But in terms of being able to attend lectures, I don't see a problem.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5185 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 21
13 August 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Jurga wrote:

So, I'm considering applying for studies in Belgium with this Erasmus program. All or
most of my studies would be in French, it would start on February. The only thing that
worries me (apart from huuge living expenses:)) is whether I'll be able to master my
French skills in these 5 months.

In 5 months, you will not master anything. But you can do an awful lot. How much
depends on what you do during these 5 months, and I'm not talking about the classroom
or about studying. I'm talking about living the language.

Forget every other language you know, and make these 5 months entirely and completely
about French. Tell everyone around you that you intend to not speak any word of any
other language and state your goal clearly.

Every time the opportunity arises to slack off or slip into another language, ask
yourself what you'll think about your behaviour once you're back home and realize that
such an opportunity may never present itself again. Make the best of it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 21
13 August 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I don't think that one can reach the ability to write university-level
term papers in 5 months. In fact, I think that any presentation or paper should be
revised by a native speaker. But in terms of being able to attend lectures, I don't
see a problem.

Fortunately, many students have trouble writing university-level term papers. Just ask
any professor. Whenever I feel lousy about my ability to do intellectual stuff in
French, the following video always cheers me right up. It's a series of native French
speakers crashing and burning during their bac orals:

Oral du bac (in French)

I could definitely do better than that, despite my limited vocabulary and my
tendency to say "Pardon?" every 2 minutes. Now, I'm sure those students are really
actors, but you get the idea: Not all university students can express subtle, nuanced
ideas in their own language.

Arekkusu wrote:
Forget every other language you know, and make these 5 months entirely
and completely about French. Tell everyone around you that you intend to not speak any
word of any other language and state your goal clearly.

Hmm, that sounds painfully familiar. :-) I spent about two of my four months doing
almost exactly that, and it helped tremendously.

Jurga, if you're looking for specific advice, start with Arekkusu's. You might not be
able to exclude other languages from your life completely, but that's roughly the level
of determination required to get fluent quickly.

Feel free to post details about your current French skills, and I'm sure that people
will be happy to give you some ideas about where to start.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5955 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 15 of 21
14 August 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
I managed to take my French from a self-assessed A2+ to a B2 certificate in 4 months.

Do you think your French might actually have been higher than A2+, and may have been at B1? Am I correct in stating that you took a long, but very consistent journey, to your self assessed A2+ level ?

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4482 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 16 of 21
14 August 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
It's a series of native French
speakers crashing and burning during their bac orals:

Oral du bac (in French)

Err, these are of course fake videos, part of an ad for a pen brand. The answers are scripted to be as stupid as possible... Plus nobody would ask you who De Gaulle is on a bac oral exam... :p

(well, not denying that some students could be that ignorant)

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version