Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 1 of 84
15 August 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Despite having started learning French at the age of 9, I have a clearly hearable
accent. It doesn't make people not understand me, I have spoken for several hours
during last few days without any trouble. But it drives away some people just at the
beginning of conversationg and it is something I would like to improve. I don't know
whether I can get rid of it completely, after all everyone has an accent including the
native speakers.

So, how to go about it?

Just speaking a lot doesn't help, even hundreds of hours could just make me great in
all the other parts of speaking but with my accent getting stone solid.

Shadowing? I have a good pronunciation, which is one of the primary uses of Shadowing
but will it help with the accent?

This leads to the question: Is there any way how to "analyse" my accent and find out
what am I doing wrong? Just hearing "you have an accent but not so horrible" doesn't
tell me much.

Do you think a private teacher would help? And native or non-native? Would the native
be able to tell what am I doing wrong and would the non-native be enough without accent
him/herself?

Edited by Cavesa on 15 August 2012 at 8:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4467 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 84
15 August 2012 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
We would need a recording:)

An accent can mean very different problems - pronunciation alone, intonation, stressing wrong syllables...

If you can eliminate obviously wrong pronunciation - or that you are unable to produce certain sounds (think Czech "ř"), I suspect either intonation or the stress patterns come across as foreign.

You can try to ask native speaker but you will have probably better luck with somebody with education as language teacher. The problem is not to notice the accent but to know how to describe the problem with it.

With French, I had lot of luck with shadowing (and FSI drills). The Introduction to French Phonology is pretty boring but very helpful.

Edited by Majka on 15 August 2012 at 10:20pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4488 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 84
15 August 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Recording! Perhaps you could post some recording here, if you're not shy, and we could see what needs improvement in your speech.. that could help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4801 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 84
16 August 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Sometimes the difficulty is not to get rid of the accent, but to discover why there is
one and how to avoid it.

Have you tried to listen to yourself like singers do? Open your hand, close your
fingers and put your fingertips on the upper border of your ear. Use your palm to
reflect your voice towards your ear. Listen to a French audio/video file and, first,
just repeat the sound. Then, repeat what the native speaker said.

Have you figured out where/when your pronunciation differs from the native one?
Have you paid enough attention to your intonation while speaking?
Try to imitate the native speaker in your audio/video file. Don't mind to exaggerate!
Try to figure out how you create your sound. This works best in front of a mirror.
Don't worry about making a fool of yourself. Nobody will watch!

This is what I did to get rid of my Spanish accent while speaking French.
I hope this will help you too! Good luck!

Edited by Mae on 16 August 2012 at 12:06am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 5 of 84
16 August 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Exactly, finding The Source is the trouble.

I dare say I do not have any major pronunciation trouble. I wouldn't have been speaking
for several hours with anyone without troubles. And had my pronunciation been bad I
would have been corrected years ago by the great teacher I happened to have at
highschool. However, there may be some smaller bugs, which I am unable to catch.

Intonation may be the reason/one of the reasons. I do not focus 150% on everything
while defending a political view in a discussion, I focus more on the content and that
is sometimes demanding enough (yes,my vocab is still in the development. especially
when it comes to topics like "differences between Sarkozy and Hollande from the point
of view of a foreigner living in a country with a bit different historical
experience").

Stress may be a source too, it is possible.

Figuring out how do I create the sound. I have tried and got only limited results. It
is the same like trying to find out how do I create sounds in Czech. It's been too many
years since I learnt the pronunciation. The advice about listening to myself is a good
one but it doesn't help now, I guess my way of speach is so grown under my skin, that
anyone else will find much more than I could.

So, the recording. I have audacity, recording myself should be no trouble. But the
question is: What to record? I feel a bit as in the situation: "You speak French?! Say
something!" Preparing something beforehand, practicing and than recording would lack
authenticity. Of course I must speak a bit differently when I focus a lot and when I
just speak (and not all the changes must be to the better). Perhaps reading an article
or a piece of a novel? Or answering a few questions? Any other idea?

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4488 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 6 of 84
17 August 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Do you have something like an Assimil book (or "get" it if you don't) and read the dialogs? They're quite natural, so it won't sound as contrived as reading novels aloud, and that should be good to evaluate your speech, I guess.

I know that I would have to read articles or novels aloud, that clearly require too much preparation to get the tone right.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 7 of 84
17 August 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Good idea, thanks. I'll get to it tommorrow, or at most on Saturday :-)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 8 of 84
20 August 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
So, it took two more days but I learnt basics of using audacity and got a calm moment to
create the sample. Now I just need to find the way to post it here.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version