Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 50 of 84
08 October 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
San Francisco wrote:
     Yui   hiiroの
ランゲージエクスチェンジパートナー
ですが

ランゲージパートナーとしてYui      hiiroさんの発音はどう思いますか?
直せばいいところがありますか?  &nb sp;

Edited by Arekkusu on 08 October 2012 at 8:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

San Francisco
Japan
Joined 4339 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 51 of 84
09 October 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
独学で、日本人とほとんど会話もせずにここ までできたのは、
本当にすごいと思いますよ。もう少し社交的 なら、もっと早く
上達できると思います。

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 52 of 84
10 October 2012 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
http://youtu.be/7iZnyAutx14

Sounds really good, aside from the pause/flow issues already brought up. One thing that I found just a tad off was が. I know
you're going for a softer pronunciation here (more like nga than ga) but it seems a little drawn out or something... can't really
put a finger on it, but you might want to check it. Your intonation on the word 全て was off. Didn't really notice anything else
though.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 53 of 84
10 October 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Hiiro Yui wrote:
http://youtu.be/7iZnyAutx14

Sounds really good, aside from the pause/flow issues already brought up. One thing that I found just a tad off was が. I know
you're going for a softer pronunciation here (more like nga than ga) but it seems a little drawn out or something... can't really
put a finger on it, but you might want to check it. Your intonation on the word 全て was off. Didn't really notice anything else
though.

I was also going to mention ga. Basically, I had the feeling that nasalisation sounded in bit too formal, but I wasn't too sure so I didn't say anything... San Francisco-san?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 54 of 84
11 October 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui, I watched the video with my tutor tonight. Nothing new came up, except that
she kept hearing kiron instead of giron, and I have to agree with her.

I did notice something important, though -- despite all the shadowing you did, focusing
on pitch accent, and man! you went to town on those broadcasts! -- in natural
conversation, you didn't even use the right pitch for most basic words like you, koto,
etc. Maybe you actually know the pitch, but it didn't come out.

The effort you put into shadowing those broadcasts is commendable. I mean I would
probably never have done as good as you did with those broadcasts. But as far as
shadowing goes, unfortunately -- and I know this is kind of a rough thing to say but I
have to -- I think you wasted your time.

I've said it again and again, shadowing is a waste of time! I'm trying to be open-
minded and say that it might sometimes help some people with certain problems (although
I can't give you any examples), but shadowing as a way to improve pronunciation is, as
far as I'm concerned, for all intents and purposes, more or less a hoax. And I say
"more or less" just because I know someone will come along to come and try to defend
this method by giving a personal experience, but I have yet to see any good results
come out of it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4526 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 55 of 84
11 October 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar, not you too! Come on, man! You weren't supposed to see that. God, can't a guy post something on youtube in private anymore?

Arekkusu, my skype partner posted here about my abilities in general without watching that particular video, so I'll make sure he gets back to you. More importantly though, I posted that because I thought you were telling me I need to speak naturally and slowly in order for you to do that pronunciation analysis thing you do so well. You told Cavesa that you needed slower speech so I thought maybe that's why you kept telling me to speak naturally. I also thought you might want to see my mouth more closely just in case my lips are doing the wrong things.

So, I want to defend my pride and say I can speak more quickly and with harder words (but the way in which I start sentences I can't finish and use bad grammar is faithfully reproduced). Also, remember that I said I'm still in the experimental phase and haven't incorporated my newscaster practice into my natural speech. As I was speaking here I tried to use correct accent on-the-fly, but as you can see from how I kept repeating some words, I would realize afterwards that I said them wrong. I caught "taKAMENAkereba" as I said it, but thought, "oh, well". If I had more time to think about what I was going to say ahead of time, I would have done better on that front. However, that would have ruined the spontaneity of it.

I told you I sound akward in my own voice. I haven't been practicing it, so this doesn't prove I wasted my time. Fossilization hasn't occurred yet (I developed better t's, right?). Remember that how that guy said my sh in my 第6記事 video sounded a little off? Well, I'm going to incorporate it into my natural speech anyway until I get more feedback. At least it doesn't sound like s.

Oh, and don't worry. I'm not going to pressure you or Wulfgar into making embarrassing unscripted videos so I can have revenge. Or should I?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6248 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 56 of 84
11 October 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu: I've found shadowing slightly helpful, but not very.

Hiiro: Chill out. Also, fossilization is a bit of a misnomer for language learning; it's still possible to improve even after you've internalized something wrong, just harder. And isn't the point of getting feedback at this stage to improve, not to have wounded pride and want revenge simply because you're not perfect already? Any flaws and strengths in other people's language skills don't make your own any better or worse.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version