Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
42 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 9 of 42
19 December 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting part of it in English, Google can't always be trusted when translating
other types of scripts. I hope there's both lots of studying and learning in 2013!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4667 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 10 of 42
21 December 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Same here, I'm looking forward to reading your log and am glad that you're going to post parts in English. I might attempt to read some of the Hebrew as well, but as I never got that far with the language I'm sure most of what you're going to write will be too difficult for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5057 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 11 of 42
22 December 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Thank you!

יש לי שאלה לישראלים שבינינו. מאיפה הגיע ה"לה" במילה אמא'לה? ולמה כותבים את זה ככה עם גרש?
חיפשתי בוויקימילון ולא מצאתי כלום...

(לכל מי שלא מבין עברית: תיהנו בגוגל תרגום!)
;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 22 December 2012 at 7:00am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5057 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 12 of 42
04 January 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
היום ראיתי סרט שנקרא "קין-דזה-דזה." זה סרט רוסי משנות השמונים וזו סאטירה פוליטית וגם קצת
סאטירה של סרטי מדע בדיוני. אני מאוד אוהבת את סרט הזה לא רק בגלל שהוא מצחיק, אך גם
בגלל שבסרט הם מדברים קצת בגרוזינית, שפה שאני לומדת כבר שנה. כיף לי להבין מה שהם אומרים
בגרוזינית, כי לא תירגמו את זה בכותרות האנגליות. לחייזרים בסרט יש גם שפה משלהם, אבל
במציאות היא מבוססת בשפה הגרוזינית. זה סרט ממש מעניין! :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 January 2013 at 1:13am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5057 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 13 of 42
05 January 2013 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
I would write this in Hebrew, but I think it might be useful to other Hebrew learners.
There is a wonderful series of podcasts, creatively called "Hebrew Podcasts," that I
have been using for a while now. I think they're great! Unfortunately they are not
free, aside from the five newest and five oldest ones, if I'm not mistaken. They
get progressively harder, so if you are a beginner the most recent ones will be far too
advanced for you. but you should check out the first (aka easiest) ones! If you are
intermediate, the new ones will probably be too hard, but the old ones will be too
easy! :/

If I do remember correctly, though, they are not that expensive to buy, and you get a
lot of great extra things, like transcriptions. So, I just thought I'd throw that out
there for my fellow Hebrew learners. :) I have learned a great deal from these and I
think they are very well done. By the way, if you subscribe to them on iTunes, they are
free from that point on. So basically, you won't be able to access the ones released
before you subscribed (expect the five most recent ones), but all the ones released
after you subscribe will be free to you and do not expire. But like I said, this will
not be much use to you if are a beginner since the ones being released right now are
advanced, but maybe you could save them up for when you are advanced enough! :)

Also, if you don't already know, there is a great Hebrew dictionary
here.
If you get the free iPhone app, they have a game called "Anglit BeKef" (Fun English).
It gives you an English word and a choice of four Hebrew words, and you have to choose
which one means the same thing as the English word. Obviously, it is designed for
people who are learning English, but I think it works great the other way too! In fact,
I think it is much more challenging that way (which is good!). :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 January 2013 at 7:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5057 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 14 of 42
05 January 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
היום שמעתי פודקסטים מ"היברו פודקסטס" וראיון אוסטראלי (אבל בעברית) עם עברי לידר. אני
מאוד רוצה לשפר את יכולת ההקשבה שלי בעברית (אפשר להגיד את זה?). כרגע אני יכולה לכתוב די
בקלות, אבל כשאני רואה סרטים או טלוויזיה אני לא מבינה כל כך טוב.

Translation: Today I listened to podcasts from Hebrew Podcasts and an Australian
interview (in Hebrew) with Ivri Lider. I really want to improve my listening skills in
Hebrew. At the moment I can write fairly easily, but when I watch movies or TV I don't
understand so well.

Edit: I just noticed, when you put what I wrote into Google translate, it says I want
to improve my English listening skills. What the heck? I noticed this also happened
when someone on the team thread said they want to improve their Arabic, and it came out
as if they were saying they wanted to improve their English...Weird.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 January 2013 at 4:07am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4667 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 15 of 42
05 January 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the podcast tip! It seems very useful. I subscribed on itunes, in case I'll get interested in studying Hebrew again. I guess even at my level it might be useful to listen to the advanced podcasts to pick up a few words.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5057 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 16 of 42
05 January 2013 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Oh yeah, definitely! Even for absolute beginners it could be useful, since they give
translations of words and phrases. But they only translate the things they think you may
not know already, so if you are listening to one that is way above your level, you will
only understand the things they translate (which are probably only about 10% of the
entire podcast). But it's definitely still worth it in my opinion! I mean, it's free, so
why not? :)

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version