United Kingdom
Joined 4467 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 89 of 94
15 November 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
It's interesting that out of 6 Assimil courses, you're on track to reach B1 in a single language, and that's going to require overlearning the material with help from Anki. This is certainly consistent with my experience (weak A2 in French with no overlearning). Assimil's claims that their beginner courses will take you to B2 are pretty ridiculous, and I'm surprised that no French government agency has ever called them on it.

This doesn't mean that I don't love Assimil courses. I'd just like to see more truth in advertising. (And even there, Assimil is vastly better than some Pimsleur distributors.)

Note that out of the 6, only 3 have B2 written on their cover: Egyptian, Latin and Indonesian make no claim at all as to what level you would reach. I believe Indonesian could be quite good, if only the content of the lesson was not so boring. For Latin, it's far too dense for me to absorb, and for Egyptian I don't suppose there's any way to relate it to CEFR.

But for Polish, I remember from the very beginning predicting that my level would be quite poor due the very small size of the book (easily a half only of the content of Norwegian, though having 100 lessons as well). For Swahili, a lot of the topics don't relate to my life at all, and that is of course limiting.

One thing that lacks in Assimil, I believe, is the extra thought process required to have a conversation: you never get to think of actually introducing yourself in the language, because the lessons are never presented from the point of view of a learner in the country.

As for dishonest advertising, I totally agree with you. The thing is that the CEFR is not a legal certification, so there is no way to enforce its proper labelling. We know how some learners easily get around the definitions of the various levels to call themselves B2 when they barely have an A2... The solution sometimes suggested that if most students of Assimil cannot pass a B2 exam by the end of the book is not practical: there's no certification that the test is indeed B2 and not something above. It's very likely that if you "master" all the content of the Assimil book, you'll be at B2, but then following the method is not mastering every sentence and word.

We'll see what I can get out of it if I still find enough motivation over the next month to pursue the active wave, but I still believe Assimil can be a nice introduction to the language (I believe Norwegian and German were just perfect). It's certainly much better for "easier" languages, and I wouldn't hesitate a second if I wanted to learn another Romance or Germanic language. I may add Breton and Arabic soon, just for fun (and considering it purely as an introduction to those languages).
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 90 of 94
15 November 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
It's very likely that if you "master" all the content of the Assimil book, you'll be at B2, but then following the method is not mastering every sentence and word…

It's certainly much better for "easier" languages, and I wouldn't hesitate a second if I wanted to learn another Romance or Germanic language.

I seriously doubt that it's possible for an English speaker to pass the DELF B2 even if they memorize every word of Assimil New French with Ease, and they internalize all the grammar notes. There just isn't enough vocabulary in NFWE to cover the kind of detailed reading comprehension that the graders demand, or to discuss the typical oral presentation topics. And the listening comprehension on the DELF B2 can be a lot harder than what's on the NFWE CDs.

I was actually very happy with Égyptien hiéroglyphique, even though it's relatively hard Assimil course. It's a lot more in-depth than something like Collier's How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs, and—despite the piles of rare vocabulary and the grammar tables—it's a lot less brutal than typical grammar-based courses. Maybe it's not the best Assimil course, but it's an excellent introduction to the language.

Fundamentally, I really like the idea of graded L1/L2 reader with audio and convenient daily lessons. But it's been really interesting seeing how different you've found the various courses to be, depending on a lot of factors.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 91 of 94
16 November 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:

One thing that lacks in Assimil, I believe, is the extra thought process required to have
a conversation: you never get to think of actually introducing yourself in the language,
because the lessons are never presented from the point of view of a learner in the
country.

Some of the Assimil courses do have the introduction and hello, how are you
conversations. But I prefer the other beginnings. Introducing myself and the rest of the
boring things is in any other course I use aside/before/after assimil. I love that
assimil is different and I usually combine courses anyway, so I don't miss it.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 92 of 94
29 November 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Mantenant j'ai Ankimobile sur l'iPad. vermillon, est-ce que ça te dérange si je te prie de partager ton deck de l'Assimil Norvégien?! =D

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4504 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 93 of 94
03 January 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

It's interesting that out of 6 Assimil courses, you're on track to reach B1 in a single language, and that's going to require overlearning the material with help from Anki. This is certainly consistent with my experience (weak A2 in French with no overlearning). Assimil's claims that their beginner courses will take you to B2 are pretty ridiculous, and I'm surprised that no French government agency has ever called them on it.

Well, we must also consider that he didn't finish the whole active way yet, only the passive one. I guess there's still room for improvement.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6018 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 94 of 94
02 March 2013 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Any new updates???

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version