Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 25 of 94
26 August 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
It's awesome to see a comparison of various assimil courses, thanks. I' looking forward
to continuing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 94
26 August 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
This looks like a very interesting experiment. I enjoy Assimil very much, and I have
completed Russian with Ease, and you're tackling quite a few languages I enjoy or have
experience with (I have studied Latin myself for five years, and Norwegian is close to
one of my target languages - Swedish). I also want to pick up Swahili at some point,
but when I don't know.

I personally have two other Assimil courses waiting for me: Le Breton and L'Hébreu.
(For Hebrew I also have the Routledge course, which is important, as it will teach me
how to write without niqqud). It might be interesting to diversify for myself into more
Assimil courses, but I will be short on time to do it because I am spreading myself
thin as it is.

Nevertheless this is entertaining to read!
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4468 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 27 of 94
26 August 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Ah! Which Breton course do you have? This one is in my hit list (having grand-parents living in Britanny..), but somehow it didn't make it to the list of languages for this experiment. Perhaps we could start it together some day if you're interested.

For Hebrew, did you mean "read" without niqqud? I don't know anything about Hebrew, but if it's like Arabic vowel notation, I guess "writing" without it you simply need to... not write it, while of course reading is quite another task.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, I'll try to post another week tonight if I find enough time. If this goes well until the end, I'll be tempted to use Assimil for other languages, but probably not that many as I'd surely like to continue studying those first. Five months is surely not so long and I think it's worth a try.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 94
26 August 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Oh yeah, I mean reading. I think all my other languages are taking their toll on my
English, I'm not used to these silly mistakes. Oh well.

Yes, Hebrew uses an abjad script like Arabic, but of course with a bunch of details
that differ. You can use some consonants as vowels, although the details escape me at
this time because I haven't really used the materials yet. I was originally planning to
do Hebrew around this time, but I changed my mind and have been studying Swedish
instead. I don't regret that because Swedish feels very very easy.

I only have Le Bréton sans peine, but there's a Colloquial Breton if you like it. I
also have a Vannetais-French (and vice versa) dictionary (Vannetais being a dialect)
and a grammar of the language. It's a modern Assimil course, but it's pretty rare I
think - I do not know if the website sells it. Anyhow, I bought these over the summer
when I was in Brittany itself - I spent 6 days in Brest. You'll have to check Assimil
if it's available. It is a new Assimil version, although it does not come with an mp3
pack of CDs, which irritates the everliving f**k out of me.

However, I suspect you might get slightly more mileage out of the material than I do.
The materials are French based, which should give YOU no trouble, but despite my
knowledge of French being quite decent I am in no way a truly fluent speaker - I just
get by and understand :)

Edited by tarvos on 26 August 2012 at 8:30pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4468 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 29 of 94
26 August 2012 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Is it the book by Di Kervella? If so, that's probably the one I'd be interested in using, as well as perhaps "Ni a gomz Brezhoneg" which is often cited on Breton-learning websites.

Indeed, Breton should be easier for a French than for a Dutch, considering the many borrowings and also the method being written in French. Anyway, that may have to wait until earlhy 2013...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 30 of 94
26 August 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that is the one, Divi Kervella is the author.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 31 of 94
26 August 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Yes, Hebrew uses an abjad script like Arabic, but of course with a bunch of details that differ. You can use some consonants as vowels, although the details escape me at this time because I haven't really used the materials yet.

When I studied Persian I found that the Hebrew abjad can be mapped onto the Arabic one almost completely. A "v" can also represent vowels O and U and I is expressed by a letter that also functions as "y". A and E are a little more complicated... If you plan on learning Hebrew, it's very advisable to read without niqqud right from the beginning. Seeing as you mentioned it, you probably already know that.

Edited by druckfehler on 26 August 2012 at 11:08pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5322 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 94
27 August 2012 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Indeed, quite a big difference! I think I will try to find the time to
learn those 200 signs as well, I will definitely take your offer about that Anki deck.
Fortunately, it's gotten better and I'll mention it in my week 2-3-4 log, but I would
definitely save a LOT of time if I didn't look up all the hieroglyphs that appear in
the lessons (and are not referenced in the lesson..). The time spent on Anki would
definitely be compensated within a few days.

I've sent you a PM with the two Anki decks and a handy PDF summarizing the phonetic
characters. The deck for Assimil has cards up through lesson 28. (It's getting pretty
time-consuming to create these.)

Watch out for the biliterals. There's a lot of them, and you may need to use mnemonics.

BEGIN SANITY DISCLAIMER

A word of warning. The Anki deck for L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique is designed
around my personal goals. I'm deliberating try to "overlearn" the course and commit
most of it to long-term memory, so that I can stop and start my studies at will over a
period of years. In other words, my experiment does not have the same goals as
your experiment.

When I did New French with Ease, I made no effort whatsoever to overlearn. I
paid with 40-minute study sessions during the combined active+passive wave. But in the
end, I came out speaking French. So overlearning Assimil definitely isn't necessary.
But I want to know what happens if I do.

So what's the practical upshot of all this? Basically, you should make aggressive use
of the "Easy" and "Suspend" buttons when using this deck, and only focus on those cards
which are important to you. If you suspend or delete 50% of the cards, you're probably
doing it right.

Also, don't feel obliged to fail a card because you couldn't give the transliteration.
I'd recommend reading the hieroglyphs, trying to come up with a transliteration,
and then doing the translation. The only thing that should count for passing the card
is whether you can translate; the transliteration practice is a free bonus.

END SANITY DISCLAIMER

OK, I hope that's enough to help preserve whatever sanity you have left after your 6
daily Assimil lessons. :-)

That said, my experiment is going well. At this point, I can look at 85+% of the lines
of hieroglyphics in the first 28 lessons (with the transcription hidden), read them
off, and translate them. And I know the review chapters pretty thoroughly.

Clearly, overlearning a single Assimil course is a viable strategy, especially for
people who've already learned a language to near-fluency before. (Folks who are working
on their first non-native language are probably better off finishing the course,
even if they cut corners like I did.)

By the way, this course rocks, even when it kicks my butt. The lessons continue to get
more and more interesting. And I'm vaguely amazed that I can now pick up books in a
non-Indo-European ideographic language and understand snatches here and there.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version