kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 289 of 706
23 August 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
@iguanamon - Como sempre, muito obrigado! Não sei como você o faz, irmão, mas você sempre o faz!

This is a prime example of why I should keep my log. You often give encouragement when it is needed, but you also provide suggestions and advice at times, and it never feels confrontational to me. Serpent has a different style, but it's the same result.

A lot of things have thrown me for a loop this summer as far as my language learning is concerned, but I don't let it keep me down. I may get knocked down a lot - more than I want - but I keep getting back up, and I think that makes me stronger as a result. It's been a great year of language learning, and I'm looking forward to the next year!
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 290 of 706
23 August 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Allow me to invoke Duty Calls. I have it pinned to the wall
above my desk to provide a healthy dose of perspective when needed!

Nobody knows your life as well as you do, kuji.

Hahaha... that is AWESOME! That certainly provides a dose of perspective. (Here's the fixed link, by the way - there was a space in the link in the above post.)

I have to thank you as well, g-bod. You have played no small part in encouraging me to keep up my studies, and I really appreciate that.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 291 of 706
23 August 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I was about to post again on that thread but let go. Once again my words were
misinterpreted. Keep doing what you are doing kuji, you seem to like it and it gives you
good results.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 292 of 706
23 August 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator - Thank you. Yeah, I think I posted too much there. I should have stopped long ago, but I fell into the trap. But I'm also letting go now.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 293 of 706
24 August 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Ohhhh I was struggling with my German-only Tadoku and missed that thread.

-as for LR, I'd say the recommended intensity is meant for beginners. And I believe the bare minimum is something like 2-3 hours. feel free to try it if you can afford at least these hours! in my experience it's also better to have a longer session and then take a break next day than to have two short sessions. I think the ideal week for me would be 3 hours-2 hours-break-5 hours-break-3 hours... or some such. it's important to LR for two-three consecutive days when you are starting a book, but then it's ok to take breaks.

-are you 'meh' about not only the language but also the culture? I think it's a good idea to read something taking place in a culture you love or just a familiar one. I've had an amazing experience with reading a Finnish book in German. It was the first one I ever finished. (btw travel books can be a nice source of easy language - although maybe you should look for well-translated Western guidebooks because again mentality/culture)

may Brazil help you not only with Portuguese, but with Japanese ^_^ or anything you want... isn't it true that you like the Esperanto culture/philosophy/idea but not necessarily the language and the actual things you can do as a beginner?
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 294 of 706
25 August 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
-as for LR, I'd say the recommended intensity is meant for beginners. And I believe the bare minimum is something like 2-3 hours. feel free to try it if you can afford at least these hours! in my experience it's also better to have a longer session and then take a break next day than to have two short sessions. I think the ideal week for me would be 3 hours-2 hours-break-5 hours-break-3 hours... or some such. it's important to LR for two-three consecutive days when you are starting a book, but then it's ok to take breaks.

Thanks for dropping by, and thank you for your advice. I could do LR like you said you do it. 2 hours a day or 3 hours a day, then break the next day, etc. - that is sometimes doable for me (not all the time), and sounds more pleasant.

Serpent wrote:
-are you 'meh' about not only the language but also the culture? I think it's a good idea to read something taking place in a culture you love or just a familiar one. I've had an amazing experience with reading a Finnish book in German. It was the first one I ever finished. (btw travel books can be a nice source of easy language - although maybe you should look for well-translated Western guidebooks because again mentality/culture)

It sounds like I'm 'meh' about the culture, but I'm really not. The things that people use to learn a language - music, comic books, dramas, movies - I'm not a fan of the ones coming out of Japan. I am a fan of Japanese life, Japanese history, Japanese philosophy, Japanese sports, etc. I want to read comic books about average Japanese life. I want to learn about real culture while getting comprehensible input, because, you know, I don't see robots attacking robots from the top of skyscrapers when I'm commuting to work here in Osaka. :) I know that there are comics out there that do talk about real life, using real, everyday Japanese language, and I have some of them at home.   I think that I'm just too lazy to cut through the mainstream stuff and find the less popular things that might be more attractive to me. I just need to work harder... and maybe stop being frugal and spend more money (we can't borrow comic books from the libraries here).

The travel book idea is a good one! My wife has plenty of those here at home. And I think Japanese travel books are better than English ones, anyway.

Serpent wrote:
may Brazil help you not only with Portuguese, but with Japanese ^_^ or anything you want... isn't it true that you like the Esperanto culture/philosophy/idea but not necessarily the language and the actual things you can do as a beginner?

Actually, I like the Esperanto language, and I like the idea of an international auxiliary language (although I don't think it will bring world peace and understanding). But I don't want to use it to discuss Esperanto issues, or talk about the Esperanto movement, or read about Esperanto. And I don't want to go to Esperanto events to discuss those things. I want to read the world news, perhaps watch sports, and talk to people about things other than the plight of Esperanto in the world. That is why I stopped learning it.

But I understand your point here. A while back, I borrowed from the local library a book about Brazilian football culture. It was too difficult for me then, but it's probably worth borrowing again now. I know I would be interested in the content. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 295 of 706
25 August 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
There are loads of comic books aimed at teaching Japanese history to Japanese school kids,
from the 2 volume set I'm reading at the moment to massive multi volume sets. It could be an
option.

I know if you go to any DVD store in the UK you could be forgiven for assuming that Japan's
only cultural output is aimed at 15 year old boys with a love of robots but you know
that's not the case. It drives me mad that I can buy obscure Japanese art house films on DVD
here but not mainstream movie releases. But you're in Japan so you have maximum accessibility
to materials, you don't have to restrict yourself to the stuff available outside Japan just
because it's recommended by someone studying in the US or Europe.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 296 of 706
25 August 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
@g-bod - True, true. I'm in Japan, for goodness sake. I should be able to get what I want.

I think part of the problem is that I'm too afraid to search online in Japanese for what I want, because I might use the wrong terms. I know... that's dumb. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. I could ask my wife, too.   But yeah, when I search about things like comic books in English, it's no wonder I get the robots-type comic books, because that is what most people who learn Japanese seem to be interested in.

I'm also afraid to spend the money on something, then end up not liking it. But I won't know if I like it if I don't buy it. The typical Catch 22.

What are the names of the historical comic books that you are talking about?

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version