Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 361 of 706
13 December 2013 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I think it's quite difficult to self evaluate CEFR for Japanese compared to a major European
language. For the European language you've got loads of CEFR graded learning materials and
you can even get official evaluation in the form of an exam. While I think that JLPT N2 is
maybe trying to be broadly commensurate with B2, it actually gives no indication to how your
active skills are. Anyway, whether you've hit the competencies for B2 or not, you've made
huge progress in Japanese this year. As far as I'm concerned it's a success story.

Thank you for the post, g-bod! Good to hear from you.

Yeah, I understand that CEFR is not perfect for self-evaluating Japanese, but it was the only thing I had readily available when I wrote that post. :) I'm definitely not sad about my current state (and I hope I didn't give that impression). Whether or not I made it to B2, I certainly made progress, and that is what counts. I think it was good to aim high, because now I'm that much closer.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 362 of 706
13 December 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I'm of the opinion that if you studied consistently throughout the year then well done. So many people get
distracted and don't really make any progress as a result. Nice job.

Thank you, kraemder! My big, big challenge when I first started this log was consistency. If nothing else, I've scored a first-round knockout of inconsistency. (Sorry for the boxing metaphor.) The number of days that I didn't do anything in Japanese this year is probably below 20. Out of 300-something days... not bad! (For Portuguese, probably more around 50, but then again, Japanese is my priority.)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 363 of 706
13 December 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Parabéns, kuji! Você melhorou seu português e japonês também. Pode ter muito orgulho nisso. Você vai melhorar ainda mais no ano novo! Bansai!

Muito obrigado, iguanamon, e "arigatô"! Sem sua ajuda, eu não pude melhorar meu português!
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 364 of 706
13 December 2013 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Congratulations on your great progress this year, kuji! I sense that you are going to
have an epiphany on Japanese somewhere next year! You'll realize that you are
understanding much better than before, thanks to your consistency. That happened to me,
as much as knowledge is cumulative, it isn't linear, and sometimes we just reach a point
at which lots of once unknown stuff start to make sense at once, it's like we had pulled
the trigger of comprehension. And I believe the way you've been working on your Japanese
accounts for this to happen.

As for Portuguese, I can't wait to see you reading some short stories!

Do you plan on joining Team Iberia next year, if I may ask?

I would love to join Team Iberia next year, if the team would allow me! Despite a priority on Japanese, I am now more serious about learning Portuguese to a high level. I will go ahead and join and see what happens.

Muito obrigado pela ajuda este ano!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 365 of 706
17 December 2013 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
This morning I got on the train on my way to work, went to my customary standing spot in the middle of Car 5, and turned on my Walkman to do some more of DLI Lesson 30. But before I could even open the PDF and audio, I had this feeling: I really don't want to do DLI right now. So I thought about doing some Anki reviews, but I didn't feel like that either.

In the end, all I wanted to do was relax with some music, in English. So, that is what I did for the whole commute, but afterwards I felt both guilty and angry at myself for letting that happen. There goes another consistency streak, I thought.

All morning, when I wasn't teaching classes, I was thinking about what happened and why it happened. And I could write plenty here about what I thought and what my conclusions were, because I wasted a helluva lot of time thinking about it this morning - time I could have spent - you know - working. But I'm not going to write any of that, because it doesn't matter now. I'm just going to post this link of a thread I started in late July of this year when I had similar problems. I just re-read the thread, and I already feel much better.

This is the most valuable thread that I have started at HTLAL, and its value has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with the awesome, fantastic responses of amazing HTLALers. I wish I could print it out and post it somewhere within easy reach at all times (because this situation WILL come up again in the future).

Anyway, to summarize, I need not beat myself up for taking a break from language study this morning. Baseball teams cannot win every game of a 162-game season. I think only Arsenal went undefeated in a Premier League season during my lifetime. I can't win them all, and I cannot study every day. I can study 95% or 98% or 99% of the time, and it's perfectly okay if I don't study 100% of the time.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 366 of 706
17 December 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
I can study 95% or 98% or 99% of the time, and it's perfectly okay if I don't study 100% of the time.

Exatamente, meu amigo! Você pode pular um dia sem problema nenhum. A consistência é importante, sim, mas não deixe o perfeito seja o inimigo do bom. Tem 365 dias num ano, sabe não? Se você pulasse um dia, ou dois, ou três, até uma semana, não importa muito. Semanas ou meses sem fazer nada é que cria um padrão, um dia não.

Eu vou ser sua camarada no Time Iberia no ano que vem. Vamos para a frente juntos!

Edited by iguanamon on 17 December 2013 at 1:50pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 367 of 706
17 December 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
[...] it doesn't matter now. I'm just going to post this link of a thread I started in late July of this year when I had similar problems. I just re-read the thread, and I already feel much better.

This is the most valuable thread that I have started at HTLAL, and its value has nothing to do with me.

I beg to differ. Certainly not all of its value comes from you ;) but without your starting it, well, we'd have to look for something else.

A great and valuable thread indeed, especially because it applies not only to language learning but to all areas in which you need to keep working to make progress or just maintain your level -- and something that I had missed due to my own neglecting of HTLAL this year. Thank you, and keep it all up!

Edited by mrwarper on 17 December 2013 at 1:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 368 of 706
18 December 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Exatamente, meu amigo! Você pode pular um dia sem problema nenhum. A consistência é importante, sim, mas não deixe o perfeito seja o inimigo do bom. Tem 365 dias num ano, sabe não? Se você pulasse um dia, ou dois, ou três, até uma semana, não importa muito. Semanas ou meses sem fazer nada é que cria um padrão, um dia não.

Eu vou ser sua camarada no Time Iberia no ano que vem. Vamos para a frente juntos!

Muito obrigato pelas palavras encorajadoras! E como sempre, você está absolutamente certo que tem 365 dias num ano. Então, não deveria ficar frustrado com perdendo alguns dias.

Estou ansioso para ser sua camarada no Time Iberia! Vamos para a frente!      
Fantástico!

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version