Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5777 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 25 of 27
01 September 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I used the word "texts" in reference to the following, from Prof Arguelles and quoted above by Frenkeld:

"The second step is to use "readers," i.e., books that contain annotated excerpts of literature with explanatory notes and, most importantly, vocabulary and an index that is specially keyed to these texts so that finding the meaning of unknown words is much easier than it is by using a regular dictionary. I usually make enlarged photocopies of the text first and then write the meaning of all new words directly in the space underneath them. I then read and reread these texts many times."
1 person has voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4322 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 26 of 27
01 September 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Ahhhh, okay, I misread that bit. That makes sense. So he only does active revision in the beginning/intermediate stages, and then after that he relies on extensive reading. If only I could find more German readers :S

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6738 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 27 of 27
01 September 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I think rereading texts over again still counts as active review.

A. Arguelles' method was quoted as an illustration that not everyone uses SRS. Otherwise, his method
involves plenty of work, including, when necessary, review.

Studying the methods of different polyglots would probably lead to the law of conservation of elbow grease.
Where one of them seems to use an easier method in one respect, a closer look may show it to be more
laborious in another - free lunch is in short supply in language learning. Still, if someone dislikes SRS, there
are alternatives.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version