Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5238 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 29
11 October 2012 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
In reality, is it necessary that a linguist(meaning a researcher, a scientist in languages) should be a polyglot?

Edited by Fasulye on 11 October 2012 at 3:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4220 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 2 of 29
11 October 2012 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I say no, but because I like to show off what I learn, I enjoy studying foreign languages, so whatever I learn
about linguistics is complementary. Otherwise, I find that linguistics is a very dull subject to approach
directly among non-linguists, so having a couple languages in the pocket is a very fun way to show off
your interests. Depends what you're doing linguistics for, I suppose, but it's not all ego either. Look at the
work of Kenneth L. Hale, George Steiner, or Saussure.

chenshujian
Diglot
Joined 5238 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 

Message 3 of 29
11 October 2012 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
You learn your languages one by one, or simultaneously?
mahasiswa wrote:
I say no, but because I like to show off what I learn, I enjoy studying foreign languages, so whatever I learn
about linguistics is complementary. Otherwise, I find that linguistics is a very dull subject to approach
directly among non-linguists, so having a couple languages in the pocket is a very fun way to show off
your interests. Depends what you're doing linguistics for, I suppose, but it's not all ego either. Look at the
work of Kenneth L. Hale, George Steiner, or Saussure.

Edited by chenshujian on 11 October 2012 at 8:26am

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4427 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 29
11 October 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
If by polyglot you mean being able to read, write and converse in many languages, I say no. However, all the linguists I have known have a good theoretical knowledge of many languages - they understand the grammar, the structure etc.

You can also distinguish between theoretical linguistics (think Chomsky), which works at a very abstract level, and comparative linguistics, where indeed you contrast grammar and syntax in various languages. For the latter, I think it is a must to at least have a passive knowledge of a good number of different languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

chenshujian
Diglot
Joined 5238 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 

Message 5 of 29
11 October 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
I am learning French and now reache B1 level.
I live in my home country with little chances to hear or speak French except by internet.
Can you give me any suggestion on French learning?

Ogrim wrote:
If by polyglot you mean being able to read, write and converse in many languages, I say no. However, all the linguists I have known have a good theoretical knowledge of many languages - they understand the grammar, the structure etc.

You can also distinguish between theoretical linguistics (think Chomsky), which works at a very abstract level, and comparative linguistics, where indeed you contrast grammar and syntax in various languages. For the latter, I think it is a must to at least have a passive knowledge of a good number of different languages.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 29
11 October 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Look harder - you are in China, not Timor-Leste.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 29
11 October 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
A person from Timor Leste would probably have Portuguese as hist/her native language, and that would be a better basis for learning French than any variant of Chinese. But apart from that this thread started out with the question "In reality, is it necessary that a linguist(meaning a researcher, a scientist in languages) should be a polyglot?". Personal advice about language learning has little to do with that question.

Personally I wouldn't trust a theoretical linguist who hadn't at least a theoretical background in a number of languages. For me Noam Chomsky should not be seen as an exception, though I'm not sure his theories and way of dealing with grammar would be different if he had known more than English and maybe the remnants of a shadow of Jiddisch.

However being able to speak those languages may not be necessary, and 'pure' monoglots can still say relevant things about details in their own language - for instance by describing local dialects or discussing the use of specific idioms. It may also be possible to study sociological aspects of linguistics without knowing the languages of important groups in a population. Linguistics is not only a theoretical science which deals with abstract models for language in general, but also a practical discipline.

Edited by Iversen on 11 October 2012 at 9:53am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6370 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 29
11 October 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
A person from Timor Leste would probably have Portuguese as hist/her native language, and that would be a better basis for learning French than any variant of Chinese.

Not to keep pushing the thread off topic, but according to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:
Almost 90% of Timorese use Tetum in their daily life, while Indonesian is still widely used in the media and school from high school to university by an estimated 35%. It is estimated that English is understood by 31.4% of the population. 23.5% speak, read and write Portuguese, which is up significantly from less than 5% in the 2006 UN Development Report.

Portugese is not a very common native language to the East Timorese.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version