Joined 6972 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 97 of 150
28 July 2006 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
TDC wrote:
When this sentence looks like this written in pinyin: ma ma ma ma ma? I think it's pretty easy to see why characters are here to stay. Besides, they're fun! :)

We had this discussion a while back and as I remember the conclusion reached was that it would probably be possible to replace the characters with pinyin (for modern chinese that is ). The reason being that if a sentence can be understood when spoken it can also be represented in pinyin. So anything written that can be understood when read aloud would be able to be written down in pinyin.

2 persons have voted this message useful

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6970 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 98 of 150
28 July 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Characters can really be seen as superior to an alphabet for many reasons. Don't think that just because something is easier to learn it's superior.

The Chinese characters unite various languages with one written style. Who knows perhaps Europe too would be united if each country could understand each others various ideas.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6732 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 99 of 150
28 July 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
delectric wrote:
Don't think that just because something is easier to learn it's superior.

It is only one of the factors, but since time is valuable commodity, both for an individual and for society as a whole, it is an important factor.

Of course, what's already there is there - there would a major cost to a society to change its writing system. On the other hand, a tribe without any writing that had decided to establish a writing system for their language would probably opt for an alphabet as a quicker solution. Also, various peoples did switch from hyeroglyphic writing to alphabets at various times in history. Has anyone ever gone the other way? Would it be as easy or harder to run an anti-literacy program for adults (if it were needed) in China versus India?

It would also be interesting to ask tangential questions and look into the history of mathematics in China. Did they ever develop algebra on their own? A positional number system? Would the first programming language ever be created in a society without an alphabet?

Edited by frenkeld on 28 July 2006 at 10:06pm

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6557 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 100 of 150
29 July 2006 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
The ancient Chinese did indeed do advanced algebra, and combinatorial
mathematics was probably invented in China first. The Chinese were the
first to have a decimal system for numbers, dating back to the second
millennium B.C. The Chinese invented negative numbers, linear algebra,
and the binomial theorem.

In the fifth century, a Chinese mathematician calculated pi to 7 places.
The feat was unmatched by other countries for almost 1000 years.

There's no logical reason you couldn't have a programming language
without an alphabet. Ideograms and logograms will do just fine for
instructions and variables.

Logographic writing systems may demand somewhat more effort to learn,
but they are also in some ways more advanced, giving the writer more
flexibility of expression. The Japanese could easily write their entire
language in kana, but they prefer kanji for most words. Japanese written
in kanji is easier and faster to read, and allows for double entendres that
could not be expressed with just an alphabet.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 29 July 2006 at 1:18am

3 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6732 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 101 of 150
29 July 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
The ancient Chinese did indeed do advanced algebra ... The Chinese were the first to have a decimal system for numbers, dating back to the second millennium B.C. The Chinese invented negative numbers, linear algebra, and the binomial theorem.

This is interesting information. I've heard, of course, about their technological achievements (paper, gunpowder, rocketry, compass(?), etc.), and a bit about the astronomical ones, but haven't thought about the mathematics. I've heard quite a few conflicting claims about the invention of the decimal system - could you recommend a book to read up on the history of Chinese mathematics? Where did you find this specific information (about the decimal number system)?

Captain Haddock wrote:
Logographic writing systems may demand somewhat more effort to learn

How much more is "somewhat more"? How much extra time does an adult foreign learner need for Chinese or Japanese just due to their having a pictograph writing system? The same question can be asked about native schoolchildren - how many extra school hours are spent on mastering the more complex writing system?

Actually, I first got curious about these issues after a conversation with my wife's Japanese colleague. He feels it's a hindrance to society to have a writing system that takes so much additional effort to master in school.

Captain Haddock wrote:
Japanese written in kanji is easier and faster to read, and allows for double entendres that could not be expressed with just an alphabet.

So, these double entendres can't even be spoken?

One last question: how inflecting are the grammars of Mandarin and Japanese? How are these inflections, if any, handled by pictographs?

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6804 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 150
29 July 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
He feels it's a hindrance to society to have a writing system that takes so much additional effort to master in school.

I appears to me that this doesn't seem to have affected Japan's economy that much.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6679 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 103 of 150
29 July 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
He feels it's a hindrance to society to have a writing system that takes so much additional effort to master in school.

I appears to me that this doesn't seem to have affected Japan's economy that much.

Or the literacy rate. I believe Japan has one of the highest literacy rates in the world.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6732 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 104 of 150
29 July 2006 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
patuco wrote:
frenkeld wrote:

Or the literacy rate. I believe Japan has one of the highest literacy rates in the world.

Well, you'd have to take this up with the Japanese guy who said this. His comments mostly served to make me aware of the issue, whatever the merit of his viewpoint. (As a person, he is a bit of a maverick, albeit an educated one.)

Edited by frenkeld on 30 July 2006 at 2:04pm

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version