sumabeast
Diglot
United States
Joined 6716 days ago

212 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 65 of 150
16 May 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
isn't it strange that while China with such an enormously rich history, and culture, antiquity, however no one ever hardly mentions these reasons for why they want to learn chinese.

People talk about learning Greek for the writings of the great thinkers or to access New Testament.Hebrew for Old Testament Bible.
learning Italian for the opera, German and Russian for science, physics, philosophy, etc.
Russian for Tchakovsky or Tolstoi and great literary giants, French for fashion and cuisine.

But Chinese has all that and more: ancient texts, great thinkers Tsao, Confucius, science Accupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine, and so on, but you rarely hear these reasons mentioned. moslty people talk about the potential future of China as an economic/politcal giant and super power.

I just thought this was peculiar, are people overlooking more important and intellectually fulfilling reasons to learn Chinese?

Besides Russian I believe will continue to be an important language of the future not the past for many decades to come. It's just too huge of a country not to be with many millions of native speakers, and millions more of 2nd language speakers, besides Russia still remains a country where very few people speak any other language, much like Japan and China too.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6802 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 66 of 150
17 May 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
sumabeast wrote:
Russian for Tchakovsky or Tolstoi and great literary giants,

actually Tchaikovsky was a composer, classical music you know...

And people who learn chinese are mostly from the "golden west" and educational system of these countries is very narrow minded i.e. students are concentrated mostly on their country, hence there's a lack of knowledge about the rest of the world, especially in USA. So that's why people don't mention that China has a rich history, great philosofers etc. But all this stuff exists in any country, every nation has its own rich culture, so learning any language is first of all discovering something new in this world...
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6733 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Studies: German

Message 67 of 150
17 May 2006 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Arti wrote:
And people who learn chinese are mostly from the "golden west" and educational system of these countries is very narrow minded ... hence there's a lack of knowledge about the rest of the world, especially in USA.

I personally know two native-born white Americans who speak fluent Chinese and whose occupations do not in the least benefit from knowing it.

Of course, this does not add up to statistics, but I would think that at least in this forum many people are indeed interested in languages and cultures for their own sake.

Not that there is anything wrong with learning a language for practical reasons - the mere fact of learning a language well as an adult means that the person is not intellectually lazy, since it does take a good deal of effort.

Edited by frenkeld on 18 May 2006 at 6:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Virginian683
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6567 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Russian

Message 68 of 150
19 May 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I would say Russian will continue to have more utility for Westerners than Chinese simply because Russia is a central part of European politics.

China's economic growth is dependent on its trade with the USA. If their enormous trade advantage is ever reveresed, they will be pretty screwed, because Chinese consumers can't make up for the lost market in the ultra-consumerist USA. What I mean is, at present the Chinese people have much less use for mountains of cheap plastic sh**.

Furthermore I can't see Chinese becoming a lingua franca in Asia given the general lack of empathy between the peoples of East Asia, and especially given fear of Chinese expansionism. That's why they already prefer English. If China's economic expansion stops then they will probably chose to resume military/political expansionism. And does anyone really think people in Europe and America will start using Chinese as their second language? If only for cultural reasons I don't see that ever happening.

China is important enough now as the historically and still dominant force in Asia, so anybody interested in Asia ought to consider learning it. But hailing China as the upcoming world leader and economic superpower is a little premature.

There is plenty of good literature in both Chinese and Russian.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6733 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Studies: German

Message 69 of 150
20 May 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Virginian683 wrote:
Furthermore I can't see Chinese becoming a lingua franca in Asia ... especially given fear of Chinese expansionism.

I wonder if this logic is consistent with historic facts. One rather gets the impression that it is when the societies are at their most agressive and expansionist that their language is most studied.

German was probably more widely studied in the years leading up to WWII than it is now, Russian had more status during the Cold War, English is probably not seen as strictly the language of tree-huggers, and the level of interest in Arabic has shot up after 9-11.

I bet if China eventually succeeds in taking over Taiwan, in whose case the wishes of its 23 million inhabitants seem to have been pretty much written off by the "Free" World, the study of Mandarin will experience further increase. Power, even in its less attractive forms, seems to attract.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 May 2006 at 1:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Virginian683
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6567 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes

Message 70 of 150
21 May 2006 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
You're obviously right. But I didn't say interest in Chinese wouldn't increase. I said it wouldn't become a lingua franca. The study of Russian and Arabic may have increased in the West but it didn't adopt these as communication languages in place of English and French. I was just saying Chinese will not in the foreseeable future be used between people from Korea, Japan, Philipines, or anywhere else outside China as a primary communication language.

Edited by Virginian683 on 21 May 2006 at 2:38am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6558 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 71 of 150
21 May 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Virginian683 wrote:
China's economic growth is dependent on its
trade with the USA. If their enormous trade advantage is ever reveresed,
they will be pretty screwed, because Chinese consumers can't make up
for the lost market in the ultra-consumerist USA.

There's reasons to think otherwise. Right now, Chinese factories pump
out goods and trade them for worthless (for now) pieces of green
American paper, which the government merely hoards in vaults. They
have nearly a trillion of them. While the trade imbalance keeps factories
busy, it also keeps the Chinese people less wealthy than they could be.

Just wait until China decides to use those trillion bucks and start buying
huge amounts of capital around the world. Then sending cheap
electronics to the US won't be so important any more. Everyone will want
a piece of the action in China, and a billion Mandarin speakers will be the
world's largest consumer demographic.

America is ultra-consumerist because everyone's going into debt and
buying groceries with credit cards and home financing. Guess who wins in
the end, the lenders or the ones in debt?

Quote:
Furthermore I can't see Chinese becoming a lingua franca in Asia
given the general lack of empathy between the peoples of East Asia, and
especially given fear of Chinese expansionism.

That changes with time. Chinese has large, influential native-speaker
populations in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Indonesia,
and probably other countries I've forgotten. China is a popular destination
for Japanese, and the popularity of the Chinese language in Japan seems
to be on the rise. I believe it's second only to English here.

Anecdote: one of the best friends of a Chinese-Canadian classmate at my
university was Japanese, and even though she was schooling in Canada,
her English wasn't as good as her Mandarin, so she usually spoke
Mandarin with my classmate. I tell you, trilingual conversations in
Mandarin, English, and Japanese over lunch are fun!

Virginian683
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6567 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes

Message 72 of 150
21 May 2006 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Guess who wins in
the end, the lenders or the ones in debt?

Right. I think China is the largest buyer of US bonds. As the US debt increases China gains more and more leverage. This is not generally appreciated. If China tried to cash in the bonds the US economy would collapse. But they have no reason to do that now because the system is working for them. I think if US growth ended their growth would be affected too.

Edited by Virginian683 on 21 May 2006 at 7:14pm

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version