Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 33 of 78
12 November 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Week 1 (first attempt): "Move, brain, move!"

Total hours of study: 9

As with any new venture, the first week is often the hardest. For me, this project was no exception, and the first day took 6 hours altogether! In and around each 10-minute session, I had to set up resources on the computer, try and fix my old speakers, and nose around through the palm leaves like a truffle pig for enough tasty language morcels to last the week. The next day however proved much faster and less frustrating, and my time management and enjoyment's been improving ever since.

I've always found it difficult to settle on just a language or two in my studies, when there are so many other fantastic languages out there just waiting to jump into my life. As soon as I heard someone speaking Polish on the street, or I read a new language log about Korean, I felt that wander-urge rise up in me again. Now I'm juggling 10 languages, I'd like to reassure you that this is all under control, but I still find myself bookmarking new language links and must confess to having already downloaded 1-Minute Ukrainian in a weak moment. Well, what can I say...old habits die hard.

What I have found this week is that I LOVE studying and immersing in multiple languages all in the same day! I've had no trouble with language transfer or interference so far, and don't seem to even notice the transitions much anymore. It's a bit like a complete gym workout now, and I've even started dreaming in different languages during different parts of my dream too. It's hard of course to find time to fit it all in, but I think it's well worth it!

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2013 at 1:06am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4212 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 34 of 78
12 November 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
My main thing is how much are you getting done in 10 minutes. Do you feel like you're
advancing? Keep up the good work! I wish I could do something like that!
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 35 of 78
12 November 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I find your log very interesting, because it's basically the complete opposite to my current approach of focusing on one language until it's good enough to stop studying intensively and then (hopefully) moving on to the next one. Sounds like you're off to a good start!

Teango wrote:
As soon as I heard someone speaking Polish on the street, or I read a new language log about Korean, I felt that wander-urge rise up in me again.

May I play devil's advocate and ask why you didn't include Korean as one of your 10 languages? ;)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 78
17 November 2012 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Love your log. Particularly the truffle pig part :-)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 37 of 78
19 November 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Week 2 (first attempt): "It only hurts when I laugh..."

Total hours of study: 10

Oh, what a false stroke of beginner's luck... With students and colleagues dropping around me like flies on campus, and the winter vog creeping over the verdant mountains to descend on her unsuspecting valley-dwellers, I finally succumbed to illness last fortnight. I was hoping it would just go away last week, but despite my obstinancy to work through it all, things just got worse. The good news is that I've been to a clinic for a series of tests, and am feeling a bit better now on some meds; hopefully I'll be able to "get back on the capall" (Ir: horse) next week and report something more cheery.

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2013 at 1:07am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 38 of 78
19 November 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
@Bbcatcher 08
I think every little step in a language, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, has the potential to bring us closer to that shiny Cup Winner's Cup of basic fluency one day! Of course it's hard to say how much closer that is after a week on and a week off, but I'll definitely have a good think about it in about a month's time and see if I can answer your question better then.

@druckfehler
I know, this 10 minute thing a day is the complete opposite of my usual approach too. I have no idea what the future holds for this approach, but I've always suspected that it might just work out after all... And as for Korean, is was a real tough choice to leave it out of my project list (especially as most of my colleagues seem to be Korean, and we even have some Korean channels on the cable in our flat too). What should I do, o morning star come to taunt me? ;)

@Cristina
*Schnorrffle...klompsch...snifff* What I wouldn't give for a truffle right now! Thanks, sis. :D

Edited by Teango on 19 November 2012 at 7:39am

primosanchez
Diglot
United States
Joined 6100 days ago

32 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 39 of 78
25 November 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
I like the progress charts on the side of your blog which track which lessons you have
completed and hours studied. Is there a way to get something like that for my own
personal tracking?

Thanks

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 40 of 78
27 November 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
@primosanchez
Thanks, it's quite simple with a WordPress site. Just add a text widget to your side menu (this depends on the theme you're using), and type in some code along the following lines:

<div class="textwidget"><b>
<font color="green">Study Buntús Cainte 1-3</b><br></font>
Lessons completed so far: 17
<div class="goal" style="height:15px;background:none repeat scroll 0 0 rgb(252,252,252);border:thin solid;">
<div class="progress" style="background:none repeat scroll 0 0 rgb(135,200,116);color:white;width:8%;height:15px;">
</div>
</div>
<div style="float:left;">Unit 1</div>
<div style="float:right;">Unit 195</div>

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version