Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 41 of 78
27 November 2012 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Week 3 (first attempt): "Getting organised."

Total hours of study: 15

I've clambered on the hay wain and am slowly getting back on the study track; next week I aim for full speed ahead. I've thought carefully about what materials and methods I'll continue my journey with, and have settled on the following:

- Easy Texts (Inductive Reading): Latin, Pidgin (Hawaiian Creole English)
- Assimil (Study-and-Click Method): Japanese, Ancient Egyptian
- Coursebooks, TV (Study-and-Click Method, Primetime Method): Hawaiian, Irish
- Yabla Video (Study-and-Click Method, Primetime Method): French, German, Spanish
- Movies and TV (Active Listening and Repetition, Primetime Method): Russian

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2013 at 1:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 42 of 78
03 January 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
After an initial trial period in 2012, I quickly realised the insanity of trying to fit in 10 languages a day AND AT THE SAME TIME work, study, and complete a PhD. So I'm going to reboot this project with 7 languages rather than 10 as originally planned (combining Hawaiian and Pidgin into one study slot), and see how this goes instead. It's still a LOT of languages, and with a new semester now upon me, it's going to be an enormous challenge to find those extra hours for language study, but I'll give it my best shot. I've amended my introduction on the first page of this thread to reflect this change, and have added a little note at the end to let readers know.

Edited by Teango on 24 March 2013 at 8:25pm

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4785 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 78
03 January 2013 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
...a lot of people have already told me that I'm probably nuts in trying, but I'm going
to give it my best shot to find out anyway and will try to have some fun along the way.

That's just my cup of tea! I wish you the best of luck for this big project!

BTW, many great personalities throughout history were accused of being mad: Galileo Galilei,
Christopher Columbus, Charles Goodyear, Rudolf Diesel, Isaac Newton... :-)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 44 of 78
15 March 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
@Mae
Thanks for the good wishes. I've just returned to the forum today after a bit of a hiatus and am in the process of catching up on all the news. Sounds like you've been really busy so far this year too. I hope life starts to balance out for you soon, and good luck with that placement test in Swedish!

Edited by Teango on 15 March 2013 at 11:18pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 78
21 March 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Great to see you've returned to us! I know that your new work is demanding, so there's no pressure to keep up with forum events - but please do write occasionally and let us know how you are and what you're doing!

I think Ph.d commitments get easier (in some ways!) after a few years. I know that my sister started out taking classes, researching, teaching undergraduates and, of course, dealing with those eternal applications for continued funding. But she's done well and I'm proud of her. And you, too!

7 language in addition to all your other work - not sure about that. Wonderful and extremely dedicated to do so, but if you must temporarily drop your non-professional studies here, we'll understand. And we know that you'll be back!

Good to know you are OK and thriving! It's been kind of a crazy busy and totally unbelievable few months for me, too. I'm studying though!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 46 of 78
21 March 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
@meramarina
Vielen Dank for the warm welcome home!! It's great to catch up with some of what's been going on in the forum whilst I was away, and I look forward to posting some more once April turns the corner and a few of these deadlines are out of the way.

Combining work and study is a daily challenge, and I could always do with an extra 24 hours in each day. However I'm determined to fit in my crazy language learning projects here as well and maybe even go that extra mile this year...just to say, well, to hell with being realistic; vive les langues!

How has everything been treating you on the other side of the States? I hope life has been throwing you less curveballs lately, and that you've found some nurturing new pastures for getting everything back on track (as well as polishing up your Polish in Team Bison along the way). It also goes without saying (*ironic wink, here comes what I'm going to say*) that I hope you're already on your way back to that thrift shop with pen, paper, and the German for scissors in hand...

Edited by Teango on 21 March 2013 at 6:02am

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 78
24 March 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
How has everything been treating you on the other side of the States? I hope life has been throwing you less curveballs lately, and that you've found some nurturing new pastures for getting everything back on track

Not really on track unfortunately, more a swamp than a pasture (really!) but hoping for better times soon. I recently had to leave nearly everything behind, as the house in NJ was damaged beyond repair so there's no going back to it, and relocate back down South, until I can find another place to go to that is not here. It's a nice rental, but it's next to a watery ditch swampy area and I seriously distrust it because I keep thinking that the water could come up and get me and the three boxes of language books I managed to bring here. That's all I have left of my 25+ year book collection. I had a few hundred that survived but couldn't keep them, as it was just too costly to transport much stuff - as I am sure you know!

But I am very glad to see you back here and hope you can find some time for recreational study in addition to your academic work. Your forum photo frightens me. Not you :) ! It's that ocean view. And no, I didn't make it back to the thrift shop yet - I should probably leave that sign alone because there are security cameras there ! I checked, of course, because I WAS about to fix it, just didn't have a pen with me. And I have enough to worry about with the sign at the local grocery that says CAN vegetables instead of CANNED.

This is Post # 1100 for me. And nine of them had actual intelligent content. !

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 48 of 78
07 April 2013 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Week 1 (second attempt), "Возвращение"

Total hours of study: 6

Today marks my first week of getting back into language study after a sobering 3-month-long hiatus of too much other work and very little play. Now that I've kick-started this little project of mine back into action, I need to keep moving forward and reminding myself that there's still 9 months left to go of the year with everything to play for! I currently study 6 languages every day except on Sundays (Hawaiian and Pidgin are allocated the same time slot to make things easier), dedicating 10 minutes a day to each language as planned. I manage to consistently fit in 1 hour a day by splitting my study into i) half an hour in the morning before going to work, and ii) half an hour in the evening shortly after I return home. This schedule seems to be working out very well so far, as half an hour never feels like too much, and the work's half done anyhow before I even leave the apartment in the morning. :)

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2013 at 1:08am

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version