Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 49 of 78
14 April 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Week 2 (second attempt), “Trägheit”

Total hours of study: 10

I only managed to fit in half the hours I planned this week, spending most of my study time looking for suitable language resources instead. However a little inertia is to be expected in the second week back, so onward and upward to better things in the weeks to come! The biggest hurdle, I only now discovered, is getting hold of French tv series and dramas whilst living in the US. If anyone can recommend a good French series that's available online for free (i.e. without the all-too-dreaded empty apology: "sorry, this video is not available from your country"), please feel free to leave a comment below or get in touch.

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2013 at 1:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 50 of 78
21 April 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Week 3 (second attempt), "Grillfest"

Total hours of study: 19

I spent the majority of my study time revising Japanese kana on the iPad this week, having spent some pocket change on a new app called Kana Touch. I also attended a "Grillfest" hosted by the University's German Club at a nearby beach park, where I partook in some Currywurst and Kartoffelsalat, and was able to shoot the breeze in German with a few of the students and teachers (I was even asked which part of Germany I was from by an American student, which is a first for me).

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 51 of 78
29 April 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Week 4 (second attempt), "la technologie de web"

Total hours of study: 22.9

It's been a slow week on the whole, as I caught a heavy cold, but on the positive side, I've made friends with some excellent online tools that I'm already finding very helpful in my studies. The first is a Firefox add-on called "Google Translate 6.2". This enables me to double-click on a word or highlight a section of text in my target language, and get an approximate translation in a pop-up box. My second new best buddy is the "Forvo" website, a free repository of audio for words and phrases from multiple languages, recorded by the online community. This comes in very handy when I'm not quite sure of the pronunciation of a new or recently learned word.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 52 of 78
06 May 2013 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Week 5 (second attempt), "nix"

Total hours of study: 23

Still nursing my cold, the last week has been full-on university project work, student grading, and preparations for the summer term. I practiced a few set Japanese phrases whilst talking to a sushi chef, and learnt a new word whilst out shopping at a fish market: tougarashi (唐辛子) = chilli pepper.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6151 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 53 of 78
06 May 2013 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Hey buddy! Very inspiring to see you keeping up your awesome language experiments despite your loaded schedule! :D So how do you like your studies and your students?

Speaking about chilli pepper, (which made me think abou curry) - have you ever watched the anime FLCL (Furi Kuri)? It's perfect if you feel like rebooting your brain -it's only six episodes and it's head-blowingly insane!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 54 of 78
13 August 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
@Medialis
Sorry for the long delay in replying, mon ami. The students are great here and I love living by the ocean, but my overall workload has been murderous to be honest with everything else that's been going on. I keep thinking I could be back in Cambridge now, sipping tea and eating Gille biscuits with a relatively comfortable life, probably working as a programmer in computational linguistics or some other developer role. But coming here is of course more than just me pursuing a bright new career; understanding how we really learn languages, and sharing this with others, has become more like a vocation and life passion for me, and I'd like to battle all the troublesome eddies and undercurrents to see this through.

I haven't watched any Furi Kuri as yet, but I'll ask around at my local Japanese bookshop next time I'm there. They seem to have lots of import DVDs for reasonable prices. Knowing you, I imagine I'm in for a visual and auditory treat! ;)

And how's everything going with your languages since your last update? Studying Russian and Japanese in combination is, I agree, quite an impressive mental workout. Have you already made strides into those 47 hours of exciting LR materials?

Edited by Teango on 13 August 2013 at 11:48pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 55 of 78
15 August 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Big Project Update (see first post for more details)

After a couple of failed attempts that didn't really get started (largely due to heavy work commitments and illness), I've chosen to rethink this noble project again. However instead of falling back to fewer languages or a kinder schedule, I've decided to up the stakes and say "Impossible? Hell no, let's go for it!" instead, and return to my original idea of learning 10 languages at the same time.

I've also decided to extend each session to 15 minutes, as this is a more honest appraisal of the time it really takes to set up my resources for each language, review vocabulary from previous sessions, and engage in new study. Hence the change from "10 Minutes" to "15 Minutes" in the title for this thread.

Finally, I've put Hawaiian Pidgin and Jamaican Patois on the back burner for now. I really enjoy listening to creole languages and find most of them relatively easy to understand, and that's good enough for me right now. I'll still watch Jamaican films and listen to Hawaii's "Liddo Bitta Tita" and "Bradajo" from time to time, and maybe look up a few words in my "Pidgin to Da Max" book too, but that's as far as it goes. Well, with 10 second languages now, I've got to draw a line somewhere (lol).

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5055 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 56 of 78
15 August 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Go for it!! To the most stubborn goes the victory.

I would still suggest considering a Plan B scenario, such as prioritising certain languages, or keeping a running list. If for some reason you have to call it a day after L7, you can pick up there and start the next day right with L8 (or again L1). Otherwise, if you keep it too rigid, there might be considerable stress or frustration when life intervenes again and thwarts your schedule.

Good luck!!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version