Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 113 of 198
28 June 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Oh jeez...it's been a while since I posted here...
Also, has anyone else noticed any of the TAC-spirit in here? The group threads are
practically dead...

Recently, I found a really great anime called 進撃の巨人: Atack on Titan. The only
anime-y thing about it is that it is animated. I also watched an episode of 相棒, but I
was completely unable to follow it.

There is something else that has been bothering me lately, and that's German: my
comprehension is sort of decent but I have no idea how to improve output properly. I
was considering language exchanges, but since I'm a native speaker of a less commonly
studied foreign language, I figured that I would be out of luck trying to find any...

I considered taking the summer course in Jena which was "advertised" on this forum, but
I think I'm a little late now since the flights to München/Berlin are already quite
expensive (£250+) and the course is probably full. Maybe I'll do it next year
instead...
1 person has voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4357 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 114 of 198
28 June 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
I also watched an episode of 相棒, but I
was completely unable to follow it.

I love that show! Not that I understood much of it either, but I didn't let that bother me. The who-done-it format of the show makes it interesting to watch even with minimal comprehension, and the Japanese over-the-top style of acting gives you plenty of context to work with. I wish there were Japanese subtitles for it, though.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5780 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 115 of 198
28 June 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Which season of 相棒 were you watching? I saw a couple of episodes from the most recent one and they were quite enjoyable, although a little tough to follow. I clearly need more crime vocabulary. I also need to find time to watch the rest!

I need to work on improving my output skills too. I've pretty much given up on Japanese as a lost cause but I'm hoping to be able to do something with French and German. The thing is I'm fairly confident about what I need to do to learn to understand a language now. I'm still pretty clueless on the output side of things.

Is there any way you could get to a German speaking country and skip the language course thing? Even as a tourist it's quite easy to seek out opportunities to speak, especially if you don't mind being a bit shameless.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 

Message 116 of 198
28 June 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I've only seen the first and the 11th episode (from the first season). I found them
with Chinese subtitles somewhere on the net...and I did spend way too much time reading
them... subtitles seem to have this magic effect on me, regardless of what language
they're written in... :p
...and yeah, it's usually pretty obvious who has done what and what has been done. I
also pick up some words like 暗殺、陰謀、etc. which sort of explains what's going on...

I think the fact that I haven't spoken German since my last German class three years
ago has something to do with my lack of speaking ability. I guess it's a bit like
speaking English; I never really had any opportunities to speak it because I live on
the Norwegian countryside, far away from the nearest tourist magnets.
(I do have some involuntary English practice tomorrow though: I have to call
Santander because I managed to lock myself out of my online banking service...
...again...)

Edited by stifa on 28 June 2013 at 9:37pm

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4982 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 117 of 198
28 June 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I would think you could get into a German language class in Germany without much if any advanced notice.. and boarding etc., I don't think it would be too bad even without notice. I booked stuff sort of last minute when I was traveling using youth hostels and what not and it worked out well and cheaply. And even if you skipped the language school thing - you could just be a tourist and you're surrounded by German. Possibly more fun but I enjoy meeting other language students in language classes.

進撃の巨人 is my favorite anime right now. I am really hooked on the plot. I am so tempted to go cheat and read the anime but I feel like that would lessen the impact when the new show comes out, and the HD full color shows are truly the way to go imho.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 

Message 118 of 198
29 June 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
I just saw flights to Berlin for less than 100£... I might actually consider it. :p

I'm still a bit hesitant though, because going abroad alone is kind of scary...

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4982 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 119 of 198
29 June 2013 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Well I hope you go because reading travel logs is always fun XD.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 

Message 120 of 198
29 June 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Do you know if there are more "flexible" courses available? The one I've been looking
at (starts the 15th) don't really fit well with another vacation of mine (which ends
the 14th).

This discussion contains 198 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version