Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4670 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 169 of 198
08 June 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Japanese copyright laws - Amazon are not allowed to sell books to customers outside
Japan. I get around that by using Tenso, which gave me a fake address anda contact
number to use. Tenso is free to use unless you actually order anything physical.

Apart from that, I'm using my own bank card and stuff, so no stealing.

Also, that project worked, but suddenly stopped working about an hour before the time
trials.

Edited by stifa on 08 June 2014 at 10:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5779 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 170 of 198
08 June 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
It's not down to Japanese laws. You can't buy digital files from, say, Amazon France outside
of France either. It will be down to their agreements with the rights holders. It's the
biggest reason I haven't switched from dead tree yet. I find it frustrating. I have money I
want to give them for stuff and they're just not interested...

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4670 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 

Message 171 of 198
08 June 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
I see your point. I would have kept to dead trees too if I didn't have 15% vision. :p
Being able to jack up the size of the characters to maybe 4 or 5 times what is normally
used in Japanese books is a godsend in my opinion: I can actually enjoy a book without
shoving it onto my face with a magnifying glass placed between me and it.

Amazon UK has never complained about me buying stuff when I'm back in Norway though.
Heck, I started buying stuff from them when I was living in Norway. It seems Amazon JP
is much stricted than the others. In addition, the ebook market is still in its
infancy, and publishers tend to be a bit old-fashioned.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4981 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 172 of 198
09 June 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I'm guessing the selection of Japanese language ebooks is better from Amazon.jp than from amazon.com... Man I can't believe how bad the stuff on amazon.com is. There's like 10,000 books or something and nothing to read.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4670 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 

Message 173 of 198
09 June 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I'm currently reading a Japanese book I found on the UK Amazon page, before I got my JP
account working. It's a pretty silly sci-fi detective story called Junk City, and I
actually enjoy it.

6月8日
今日ログに日本語で書こうとする。 最近、たいていニコ動に実況プレイ動画を見 る。 俺(こんな自分の読み方はここに

切かな?)の聴解はもう最低だな。だから、 そのようなビデオのはアニメやドラマより分 かりやすいと思う。 ドイツ語の
経験
の通りだ。 始めにドラマや映画は難しいとおもった、で も多いVLOGや実況プレイを見たあと、 分かりやすくなっ
た。
そうして、日本語で同じことをしようとして る。

I can really feel how my little break from Japanese has made me forgot a lot of words.
In fact, I actaully spent 15 minutes or so writing that. To sum up what I've done in
Japanese before during the first half of 2014: I've read the fourth HP book, and...yeah
that's it.
:(

I aim to spend more time with Japanese from now on though, because I'm really satisfied
with my passive German skills right now, and watching stuff in German hardly counts as
practice anymore.

Edited by stifa on 09 June 2014 at 1:40am

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4670 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 

Message 174 of 198
10 June 2014 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
10th June
I gave in to my temptations yesterday and went ahead and bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2.
My first impressions: it appears to be really slow, but I assume that this is simply a
measure to ensure a long battery life. The sccreen is really good though, and when the
backlight is turned off it appears as if it is printed on the device. I assume that's
where they get the e-ink term from. It's got a built-in Japanese-English dictionary,
and seems excellent for both German and Japanese. However, I'd really appreciate a
slightly larger screen, because my current font size, it only allows about 7 lines à
19* characters, which is approximately a third of what the Tadoku folks regard as a
page (if the page is full of text, that is).

Also, my departure is postponed for at least another week, that is, I got an internship
interview on the 19th. This means that I'm waiting for feedback on a preliminary
interview at one company, I've got an interview at another, and I'm yet to hear
anything from the third.

It seems that I haven't got any competition in the German sub-category of Tadoku. I'm
at first with almost four times as many pages as the second place. I can't keep up with
general ranking though, because of all those people playing games from dawn to dusk. I
find the "scores" of UrsSchmidt, MTSranger and Radioclare a lot more impressive than
the top 4.

(* I can also zoom out one notch, which gives space for 10x23 characters, but I find
that really difficult to read, and this makes it hard to distinguish some kanji, as
well as daukten/handakuten, eg. ぱ and ば.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 175 of 198
10 June 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the review of the Paperwhite, and Good luck! with your interviews.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4981 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 176 of 198
11 June 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
How do you find looking stuff up in the dictionary on the paper white? Is it awkward to select words or pretty
good?

This discussion contains 198 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version