Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4838 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 209 of 297
05 January 2013 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
We could do some kanji drills on IRC if there's anyone interested. (Or kana drills for that matter, [...].)
I'm looking forward to your point of view on this particular matter.

Brun Ugle wrote:
Takato had an idea about using IRC [...] for kanji drills. I have no idea what that is.

stifa wrote:
IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is kind of like Skype chat (text), I think. The only
difference is that you won't receive anything unless your logged on as IRC chats works
without any sort of middle servers.

IRC can't even handle formatted text. I don't suggest it for general chattery, Skype is better for that.
IRC, however, - unlike Skype - can handle bots, so we could make use of that. Here's Inkk's bot in action, to get an idea:

The bot is called Anii. As you can see, when I (XiaYixuan) wrote !hof, Anii told me the Hall of Fame. When other people write such commands (like tinhei writing !rank), I don't get to see it.

Writing "!trivia jlpt1" started the trivia, as Anii said at 19:10:40. You can also see random chattery there, like SpiceMan writing \o/ at 19:10:46.

This picture shows what the themes are. G4on asks for the on-yomi for kanji learned in grade 4, G8kun asks for the kun-yomi of grade 8 kanji, Hi2Ka says a hiragana and asks for the katakana of it (e.g. says い and waits for an イ on your side) etc.

Here I'm testing the bot so I can get acquainted with it more. Anii asked for the meaning of 園, I didn't know it, so I wrote !hint, which made Anii say to me some hints at 15:27:39. I realized the meaning in 17.129 seconds so I got 4 points for it.

The bot's asking for on-yomi here.

If you want some kana- or kanjidrills this should be helpful. However, Inkk hasn't been seen for 2 weeks, nor his bot, so this won't work anytime soon. I guess I'm just writing this to measure interest. I told albel727 "I already tried to make a bot once so I don't think I could make one" and he wrote "well, so it's on me to write kanji drills bot ._." and "I can't give any promise, let alone deadline for doing it. and it was in my plans anyway, just that the absense of inkk bot made them more of priority."

So what say you?

P.S. I'm not sure if it's needed, but clicking on the pictures enlarges them.
P.S.2 IRC needs no registering. You don't even need to download an IRC client, you can just go to the webchat. You'd need to type ##kanjidrills for the channel, but there's no bot there right now. Well, for now you can try that channel if you just want to see how it looks and what not.

Edited by Takato on 05 January 2013 at 7:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 210 of 297
05 January 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Everything makes more sense with pictures :)

But if there is no bot, then there is no use worrying about it now. Maybe we could try sometime later when and if the bot comes back.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4587 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 211 of 297
06 January 2013 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
みなさん、元気? はじめまして、そして、 あけましておめで とう!TAC   2013と、私の  語学 習 の 日誌へ 
ようこそ!それでは、はじめましょ!
あたしはウヅセイです、日本と日本語が大好 きだから、今、日本語をがり勉している. 早く上手になりたいから。しかも、
時間を掛けずにね!でも、最近、全然勉強が 手 てにつかないだけど、私は、きっとそれを変 えてみせます、きっと!み
んな、楽しみにしておいてね!

And the loose translation:

Everyone, doing well? Greetings, and happy new year! Welcome to the TAC 2013, and my
log. Well then, here I go!
I'm Woodsei, I love Japan and Japanese, so I'm studying like crazy, because I really
want to get awesome at Japanese quickly. Recently, I haven't been studying at all, but
I'll change that, surely! I'm looking forward to it :)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4587 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 212 of 297
06 January 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
The above word in diamonds is missing a
character. This is it: 語学学習   I hate those diamonds T_T

The link on my log to where my TA3 2013 post is the following:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30623&PN=1&TPN=15

It's post 116.

And welcome to the team, Fernando!

Edited by Woodsei on 06 January 2013 at 4:18am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4587 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 213 of 297
06 January 2013 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
IRC? Somehow I missed that. What does it do exactly, and how should one go about it? I
couldn't really understand the above explanation. Maybe it's my overworked brain that's
the problem, but an additional explanation would be much appreciated.

And I'm game for January 14th for our Skype meeting! Sputnik last year managed to keep
most members together, not just because of the Skype sessions, but also because
Christina and everyone on the team was routinely checking to see who was or wasn't
there, contacting each other with encouraging posts, and so on. Also having a godfather
on the team (native speaker)to offer advice was an extremely motivational boost. I
don't know how we could go about that, but Skype, and maybe setting up our own
Japanese-specific challenges would be a good idea. Kanji drills sound good! Also, how
about if we pick out, say, a movie or something every once in a while, watch it, and
come together and discuss it on Skype, or through the thread? Writing out our favorite
quotes/lines from the said film/show/book/etc. and discussing idiomatic usages,
yojijukugo, and what not. Not that I want anything to feel like homework. Something
akin to the Super Challenge maybe, but on a lower scale (much lower) and fun? A
movie/drama challenge? Manga/book? What do think?

Edited by Woodsei on 06 January 2013 at 4:34am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 214 of 297
06 January 2013 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
The above word in diamonds is missing a
character. This is it: 語学学習   I hate those diamonds T_T

The best way to get rid of the diamonds and the extra spaces I've found is: After you are done writing, change your IME back to English (or other language that uses the Latin alphabet) and put a space after every punctuation mark. That usually gets rid of most of them. If there is a line of text that is still too long and that ends up with spaces or diamonds, try inserting a space after some of the particles.

I try to remember to check using "preview post" rather than posting and editing so that I don't have to first remove the spaces inserted by forum software. If I preview it, I see where there are going to be extra spaces inserted and can fix it before they actually get inserted. I think inserting spaces yourself in the right places not only makes it look better, but it is also kinder to those who still need Rikaichan to read. If the software has inserted a space in the wrong place, Rikaichan can't read the word. I still need it for the occasional word myself and I remember how it was to need it for most of the words, so I just try to make it easier for others, even if it is a bit of extra work.

Takato explained why the software inserts spaces here.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 215 of 297
06 January 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Hey, guys! If you like the idea of challenges, I could adapt Languagesponge's list to Japanese. It might take a little while, but that's OK.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 06 January 2013 at 11:32am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 216 of 297
06 January 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Now that some of you seem to be trying the 'link to individual posts' thing again, a brief comment on my 'fancy ways' about it. I presented (for discussion) scripts to do it here and here. They insert visible links containing comment IDs to the side of every forum post so you don't need to look for them. Nice, simple, convenient. I'm still open to questions regarding it but please read the manual first ;)

WRT to IRC (please go to Wikipedia or ask concrete questions AFTER doing so) it's a fantastic idea! I never used it much even when I owned an internet cafe because I never saw the point of chatting with people I barely know just for the sake of it. I know it looks limited compared with real voice chat, but in every other regard it was superior to modern text chatting in IM clients like Skype. I don't know about the latest IM developments, but back in '99 we had quiz and all sorts of popular contests held at IRC channels and conducted by bots (with all the advantages it posed).

Who knows, maybe I could even dust off some skills and program some bot-driven stuff for our challenges (not necessarily an adaption of LanguageSpon) *when* (you knew there had to be a down side) I stop being illiterate ;)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version