Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4395 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 217 of 225
08 December 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I plan to join the new German team as well! Although I didn't do a good job in keeping up my log, I managed to study German regularly (aside from a short break due to health-related problems). And since I noticed improvements I definitely plan to continue studying :)
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4941 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 218 of 225
10 December 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I decided not to continue on the German team next year in order to focus on Danish. Although I didn’t come close to achieving my TAC goals on Team Schnitzel this year, I read and wrote a lot in German and I got a lot out of my teammates’ logs, as well. Sunja was a great captain, posting all kinds of helpful stuff and sharing what she learned in her classes, while BAnna’s German fiction writing inspired me. They both made me want to try harder.

I especially want to thank Josquin for being a superb godfather. His encouragement and painstakingly thorough corrections were invaluable to me. And even though Fasulye wasn't technically a team member, her interest and support made her seem like one.

I'm not going to stop learning German, but right now I feel the need to see how far I can get with Danish. Thanks for having me on the team.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 219 of 225
10 December 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Hopefully you'll continue to write German in your Dutch log. I really enjoyed reading. I copied your idea about reading out loud. It's so easy to do and is really helpful.

EDIT: sorry! Danish not Dutch. I was just talking about Dutch and German dialects recently. So I got mixed up there..

Edited by Sunja on 11 December 2013 at 10:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 220 of 225
10 December 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
I especially want to thank Josquin for being a superb godfather. His encouragement and painstakingly thorough corrections were invaluable to me.

You're welcome, AlOlaf! It has been a pleasure to help you with your German. I hope I didn't nit-pick too much in my corrections.

Ich wünsche Dir weiterhin viel Erfolg und viel Spaß beim Deutsch- und Dänischlernen!
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4941 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 221 of 225
10 December 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I copied your idea about reading out loud. It's so easy to do and is really helpful.

I'm glad you find it helpful, but I actually got the idea from my neighbor, who's a powerfully-built, strong-willed Berlinerin. When she insisted I do it, I was scared not to.

Josquin wrote:
I hope I didn't nit-pick too much in my corrections.

I never saw the exactness of your corrections as nit-picking. On the contrary, that's exactly what I was looking for and what I prized the most.

Vielen Dank und herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Deiner Berufung zum Kapitän der russischen Mannschaft!

Edited by AlOlaf on 10 December 2013 at 11:36pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 222 of 225
11 December 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I don't know why they removed it, but they uploaded it again. Try this
link:

Make Me a German

That link has also stopped working. However, at the time of writing, you can find 3 of
the 4 parts by searching within Youtube for "BBC Make Me A German 2013".

(part 1 was missing when I looked).

I hadn't seen this before so I was glad to be alerted to it.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5854 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 223 of 225
11 December 2013 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I'd like to direct you to AlOlaf's post #218 on this thread, as it says more or less what I was planning on writing. Since he couldn't include himself, allow me to do so. And thanks for summing up so well people's contributions, AlOlaf.

I decided to continue keeping my German alive. However, since I still haven't chosen a format, I'm not going to join the German team for 2014. I may still follow logs and post something here and there regarding German (you probably won't notice much of a difference from this year :P).

Edited by Luso on 11 December 2013 at 3:20am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 224 of 225
11 December 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
In 2014 I'll be mostly up for another round of "let's see if I finally study it" ;(

Having a grandmother in hospital was the perfect excuse (on top of many others) to miss *a lot* of study in the late summer and finally not be ready for my latest B2 examination in September (besides not being active here).

I tried, however, to study intensively for a few weeks -- only to become painfully aware of how lousy the materials used at the languages school are. To be fair, I'll leave it at 'not suitable for linear, intensive self-study'.

I got an excellent German "course" (a *very* old school "grammar" book), though, and enough German books (Romans usw) waiting for me in my e-book reader. Also, given given how much I dislike the German films they air here, I'll soon start to download German audio for all the shows I do like and that are in my 'to-do' list. So the question remains, will I finally manage to sit through my study materials next year?

I only regret the largely missed opportunity of having Josquin and you co-Schnitzelers help me out, but I'm afraid I'm too faithful to the old saying 'only ask for help once you have tried by yourself'. If I join a German team this year (on which I'll decide later on), I hope I'll finally manage to partake even if I don't progress that much. Thank you all for being there anyway and cross your fingers ;)

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version