553 messages over 70 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 69 70 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 145 of 553
31 December 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
It wasn't Norwegian? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 146 of 553
31 December 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
If I understand anything, I tend to assume it is in English because I can't believe that I actually know any other languages. Now I am at last starting to get used to the idea that I might know some Norwegian, but I still don't really notice the language unless something calls my attention to it.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4370 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 147 of 553
31 December 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's just that until recently, I understood Swedish better than Danish, due to exposure in Finland and the general 'clearness' (like Italian vs Portuguese). so I was like: hmm this sounds like Danish, but I understand too much, it's probably Swedish :D
I can definitely relate to that feeling. :-D It's hilarious to realize you're listening to some Scanian dialect instead of Danish halfway through an interview, or some such.

A similar thing happened to me yesterday when I started watching a music video that popped up on my Youtube stream as a recommendation. From the name of the artist I assumed the song would be in German, but it soon became clear that I was actually listening to Platt or... no, probably Dutch. Yes, definitely Dutch, case closed. For a few moments I was very pleased with myself for having solved this mystery, until it occured to me that I was understanding far more of the lyrics than I should have been able to. No longer overflowing with false confidence, I continued listening and sure enough, there were quite a few unmistakably Scandinavian words that kept coming up: the song was in Danish! Languages are awesome. QED.

Edited by sans-serif on 31 December 2012 at 12:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5067 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 148 of 553
31 December 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Here comes VIKING CHALLENGE NUMBER 1: Sett i gang!

Prepare to write a post on this thread. Set your timer, or the stop watch on your cell phone and put it on 5 minutes, Then write as much as you can in your target language without using anything but your brain.No dictionaries, no course books.

Then set your timer for another 5 minutes, and write whatever you want, this time using a dictionary if you like (and you want to spend some of your precious 5 minutes on that).

The nice side effect of this particular challenge, is of course that both you and I then will get an idea of where you all are, and it will be easier to plan mini challenges in the future. Anyone who joins the team later, can just do the challenge when it is convenient for them.

Her er svaren min:
-----------------5min start
Jeg villte å skrive mye, men faktisk vet jeg hva å skrive. Den er den storeste problemen min.
Nå nå skrive jeg uten ei ordboka, kan jeg se hvilke ord trenger jeg å lære. Derfor er den spørren veldig nyttig(?). Jeg bare høper att dere kan forstå litt av hva jeg sier. End av tid.
----------------5 min
Nå er det mye letter, når kan jeg bruker den nyttig tritrans. Nå vet jeg, att jeg svarer ikke til en spørre, men til en utfordring. (Jeg har endte å skrive for noe tid fordi internetten min har stopte). Og så tid har sluttet.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 149 of 553
31 December 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It wasn't Norwegian? :)
Do you mean in my case?
No, I tweeted about that and my Norwegian friend offered to check :D

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 150 of 553
01 January 2013 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Vikings, welcome to the first day of TAC 2013! Let's get the ball rolling!

@mae: I think it would be a nice idea to set up some kind of a Twitter bot to log our progress. I have no idea how to do that, though.

What do you think about it?

I was also thinking about setting up some little quasi-website of our team (e.g. using justpaste.it or a similar service, or maybe something wiki-like?), with our introductions, learning resources, challenges etc. - scrolling up and down the thread to find something seems quite time-consuming. Again, what are your thoughts on this?
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 151 of 553
01 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Useful, yes, but do we have to register at yet another site?

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5158 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 152 of 553
01 January 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Sorry I’ve been AWOL in the last days, but I promise I haven’t jumped ship even before the TAC started! It’s just that we’ve been away over the holidays and even though I thought I would have had internet access where we stayed, it turned out not to be the case.

And now that I’m back online I’m playing catch up with you all by getting my TAC log going and reading other team members’ logs.

Actually I’ve decided to keep my old log and just change its title. The TAC starts on page 9.

Last but not least I want to wish everyone on Team VIKING a great 2013!

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version