PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 233 of 553
11 January 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
A great job, Kez & Mae!

Challenge 9 should be changed: I've got no idea what 'soft adjectives' are but I suppose it's something Russian ;).

I've got some more challenge ideas (I tried to think about something different from writing/speaking, as we already have a lot of challenges of this kind).

Beginner:

- for the next 10 Wikipedia articles you'll read in any language, switch to your Scandinavian language and try reading the beginning of the article. (If there is no TL version of a given article, you simply wait for the next one.)

- read 1000 words in total of original 'simple' Scandinavian articles, with no use of dictionary (e.g. Swedish 1, Swedish 2, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish 3)

- find 10 items in your room whose names you don't know in your Scandinavian language, and learn them (including the article and the plural form)

- find TV news in your Scandinavian language and watch 10 minutes a day, five days in a row

- choose a city in the TL country and do research on the Internet, using your Scandinavian language only (how many inhabitants? what history? what tourist attractions? etc.). You may consider switching to TL Google to reduce the number of results in other languages.

- switch the language to Scandinavian (on your mobile, operating system, browser, other software and/or social network services, depending on what is possible).

- choose a letter and try to write as many words beginning with it as you can in two minutes. Do this for five letters in total.

- choose randomly a word from a (paper) dictionary. Pronounce the word, read the translation/definition. Find a few examples of use on the Internet. Think of a possible situation/context where you could hear/see the word, or use it yourself. Decide whether you like the word and find it useful. Do it for three words.

Beginner/Advanced:

- satisfy your Scandinavian wanderlust! Read about a grammar issue of your choice in a Scandinavian language you don't learn.

- satisfy your Scandinavian wanderlust again! Try reading an article in a Scandinavian language you don't learn.

Oh, and I'd include the two challenges Cristina came up with to the point classification :)

Edited by Julie on 11 January 2013 at 5:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 234 of 553
11 January 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Is it possible somehow to include later language specific challenges as well?

I am waiting to after I come back from my holidays to write about a grammar point I call "The Yoda rule" and I
would like to have a challenge for that too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 235 of 553
11 January 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Is it possible somehow to include later language specific challenges as well?

I think so. In my opinion, we don't have to - and we shouldn't - close the list of challenges at any point. I'm pretty sure we'll come up with more ideas during the year, including the amazing challenges of our Godmother. If that's the case, we can always add an additional award/rank, and I find a secret rune ;).

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4168 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 236 of 553
11 January 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I'll add the new challenges, and edit the ones that need to be edited. And it might be
a good idea to not 'close' the list and keep on adding challenges. We can always raise
the amount of runes you'll need for a challenge. Maybe make even more ranks in a few
months when we're running out.

I was thinking of making a TAC2013 - Team Viking - Challenge Thread tomorrow. In there
I will post all the challenges, ranks, runes, achievements etc. And then we can post
the challenges we've done in there, and I can edit the post to add ranks, achievements
& runes etc. It will give us a more clear overview. What do you think? I don't mind
putting some hours in it to fine-tune it.

Maybe we can make a special list for our lovely Godmothers challenges? Give it some
special achievements or something?

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 237 of 553
11 January 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
The Runes Quest: a journey through all challenges based on LanguageSponge's
input. Based on your number of challenges completed, we collect the runes. Depending on
the number of runes collected, our viking rank will be somewhere between 1 and 7.

Solfrid Cristina's Viking Challenge: The challenge will be posted on a weekly
basis, a predefined day (e.g. Sunday). After 6 days we close the respective challenge,
read the posts and decide who's getting a shield:
- 3rd place = Bronze Shield
- 2nd place = Silver Shield
- 1st place = Golden Shield
As we post an article per VC, we could just post our answers right there, in order to
not mess everything up. Too many threads in here will make things more complicated IMO.
Moreover, everybody can post a comment there, not even need to register.

Have a look:
[Viking Challenge #1]
[Viking Challenge #2]

Viking of the Week: Could be those getting a shield for the weekly VC. So those
nominated for the VC will automatically be VotW.

Viking of the Month: I'd suggest we leave this one open to reward the team
member that has distinguished him-/herself by doing something special to bring our team
forward. I would also go further and suggest, it may not be limited to just doing
challenges at home and being language related, so that also a groupie or so could get
it ;-) (just an idea).

For the moment I think we have enough tasks to complete, and we need to organise
everything so that we can get the ball rolling. Please do note your ideas here or in
your log, so we can come back to that later.

I wouldn't recommend to create further team threads, because:
- we might lose track of what we're doing at all,
- it will become more difficult for other teams to follow our progress if our
activities are all spread around, and
- after a few months we might just stick to one thread anyway...

Just a few ideas... Feel free to add yours.

Last question: Do we all have a log now?

Edited by Mae on 11 January 2013 at 7:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 238 of 553
11 January 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Mae, if you haven't already done that, please add the challenges, runes, medals, swords, shields, axes etc. to the Wordpress page.

Imagine if there was a way to autosync our logs with Wikipedia (or similar) - add the URLs to the articles you read, the system automatically counts the number of words (or word forms), identifies the language, checks if it's a first read or re-read, keeps track of how many articles there is left until "next level"... :) (The Esperanto site Lernu has something similar based on the lessons available, it works so-so).

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4168 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 239 of 553
11 January 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Yeah you got quite a good points there Mae. I think i've done what I could for this idea
at the moment, i'll leave the rest to the more experienced TAC/forum users.

"As we post an article per VC, we could just post our answers right there, in order to
not mess everything up. Too many threads in here will make things more complicated IMO.
Moreover, everybody can post a comment there, not even need to register. "

It could work posting it as an comment there, but we need people to read & correct it as
well. Which might happen less fast if it's not on the forum. Just a thought though.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 240 of 553
11 January 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Good point, indeed... I don't have an idea what could work best.
In any case we should have a little bit more feedback from the other members. According
to the "TAC 2013 Organization and Sign-up" we are 21.

I made a PDF document with all challenges, some explanations, the ranks, and a worksheet
to print out. I'll upload everything to our website. You can find the document in our
media library.

Edited by Mae on 11 January 2013 at 10:51pm

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version