Élan
United States
Joined 5238 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 89 of 168
20 December 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I added some resources for Persian in my log.   This is just an "off the top of my head" list. I will add more when I
have some more time.

Courses/For Purchase:
Colloquial Persian
Living Language Spoken World Farsi
Persian Grammar by John Mace
Pimsleur Farsi
Pimsleur Dari
Rosetta Stone Farsi
Teach Yourself Modern Persian

Other/Free:
Chai and Conversation Podcast
EasyPersian.com
LiveMocha Farsi

3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean

Message 90 of 168
20 December 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I've just had a look through the resource list for Persian I have amassed over time. I'd like to recommend the following in addition to what Élan and Jappy recommended (some of them may also be intereting for Arabic and Hebrew):

Children's Book Library
The Children's Book Library has digitalised 476 books in Persian, 30 books in Arabic and 19 books in Hebrew and access is free. I will definitely make use of them to practice reading. Some of the books are also available in other languages, so it's possible to use them as parallel texts.

OllyBolly Children Book Videos
This is a Korean site (in English) which has videos of narrated stories for children in several languages. All the videos are available with subtitles, as well as in English and Korean translation. They have 4 videos in Persian, 2 in Lebanese Arabic and 6 in Palestinian Arabic.

"A Day in Rostamābād of Shemirān" by Mohammad-Ali Jamālzāde
This website has a Persian story with annotations for every word, English translation, audio, etc. Could be very useful for reading practice.

DLI Dari Course
This Dari course from the Defense Language Institute looks very good. It's very new (not like most of their resources which can be found on the net) and includes student textbook, student workbook, audio and the teacher book.

DLI: G.L.O.S.S. online lessons
I'm a great fan of these free lessons, which teach new vocabulary, grammatical structure and cultural competency. They have encouraged me to take the leap and study with native materials in Korean. They are available for every level and use a wide variety of native materials with audio, vocabulary lists, grammatical explanations and exercises with an answer key. There are 315 lessons for Persian, 482 lessons for Arabic, 142 lessons for Hebrew and 8 lessons for Somali.

DLI News Training
Interesting for Intermediate and Advanced students, similar to G.L.O.S.S. (possible overlaps).

Persian Verb Conjugator
Might be useful, very thorough. Also has a site with grammatical explanations.

Virtual Persian
These are basically just conversations with script and audio (no translation or vocabulary).

Farsi.Tardid.Net Dialogues, Farsi.Tardid.Net Lessons
Several Dialogues with Video and Worksheets/Handouts for download. I haven't tried this yet.

Book 2
Audio vocabulary and sentences in Persian, Arabic, Hebrew and lots of other languages.

Radio CP
Weekly Podcasts in Farsi.

Edited by druckfehler on 20 December 2012 at 8:42pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5238 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 91 of 168
20 December 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for those resources! The children's library was one of my fave resources that I had forgotten about. I
appreciate the link!

Also, I want to apologize because I am unable to link to any of your logs/this log in my own log. The hyperlink
feature does not work when there is a "=" in the link. I can make links just fine in this log, but they end up totally
broken in my own log. Another frustration of this glitchy forum.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean

Message 92 of 168
20 December 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Another strange glitch has showed up... At the moment I just can't open a new log, but it's okay, I'll just use the old one and make it into a huge language journey log.

By the way, Élan, DLI may have resources for Somali, I suppose it's worth having a look. At least there are 8 G.L.O.S.S. lessons for the beginner level.

Élan
United States
Joined 5238 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 93 of 168
20 December 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Eep! Sorry you can't get a new log going. That happend to me last TAC... when I tried to post a new log, it would
attach to the bottom of someone else's Japanese log. I got my link issue to work with some fiddling, although it's
not how I would like it to look. Oh well.

Thanks for the DLI info. I did not like working with those old courses, but GLOSS looks nice. You might want to add
that there are 135 lessons for Iraqi there too!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 94 of 168
21 December 2012 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
I know a good Hebrew resource here.
It conjugates verbs for you.

2 persons have voted this message useful

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4166 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 95 of 168
21 December 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
I know a good Hebrew resource verbs.co.il/">here.
It conjugates verbs for you.

very cool link for the hebrew verbs!

thx for posting this!

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 96 of 168
22 December 2012 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing all those links, our first page is turning into quite the go-to place
for resources. I'll make sure to update it over the weekend.

Druckfehler, you should post in the technical forum. Someone there should be able to help
you with this problem.

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version