Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
168 messages over 21 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 20 21 Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 57 of 168
17 December 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
It doesn't seem like the leadership requires any special skills or experience. She just
wants to make sure the contact person is not gonna disappear and then she won't know who
to ask for updates. But I've been reading the other teams' logs and we're like a model of
what the TAC should be :) (fine there are a lot of other good teams too) so whatever Brun
Ugle or the team decides I think the team will be alright.

I also like Alef. It turns out that I don't have too much space for my log title either.
1 person has voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 

Message 58 of 168
17 December 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I asked Brun Ugle and it is what I suspected, she just wants someone who's gonna be
responsible for contacting her about people who sign up on threads and what not.
In her words "But I'm tired of using all my time to comb through all those threads and
read all the bickering that goes on in some of them."
In this case we could all be co-leaders and make sure things run smoothly.    

Takato, I added the link to your log to the roster. I love your reasons for learning
Arabic and I'm also gonna be using Kullu Tamam!

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4166 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 168
18 December 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
[QUOTE=Brun Ugle] This is a special announcement for all teams, certain ones more than others:

- Each team is to choose a team leader by Tuesday, 18 December. Inform me of your choice by then. The leader must have prior TAC experience unless there is no such person on the team. The leader is to keep me up-to-date regarding their team.
[...]
I am sorry [...] however [...] certain teams are already on the verge of falling apart and a number of more experienced TAC members have noticed this and sent me PM’s requesting that I do something.

I don't like it but if we want to abide by the rules then we must eliminate JohannaNYC from the leader's seat by tomorrow, since she has been part of no TAC previously, however, there are more than zero members of the team who have been part of TAC. I'd prefer a leader who is not me, considering I'm incapable of maintaining order and am hugely unreliable.

I would definitely say that I think we should allow Johanna to continue as leader despite no previous TAC experience. I admire her passion and enthusiasm for getting the Middle Eastern Team thread started and has done an excellent job in maintaining the thread to this point. I think the problem is that since other groups are falling apart those are the ones where changes need to be made rather than changing the groups where things are working well. I don't have any TAC experience either but I am definitely willing to support someone who wants to gain experience by actually doing the job of leading the team. If Johanna finds that she needs help in managing the group then I am sure she will say so and as the awesome team that we are, will be willing to help out where we can, but based on what we have seen so far, I know she is going to continue to do a great job.

I think that we should inform Brun that we put Johanna's name forth as team leader with the complete confidence of the team.

cheers
niels

Edited by TheGreaterFool on 18 December 2012 at 12:44am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 60 of 168
18 December 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
niels, very well put, I absolutely agree. Élan also offered to be a co-leader, so I think if Brun wants the reassurance of having a TAC-experienced contact person, we could make Élan our vice-leader in case Johanna can't be contacted or something of the sort. I'm not sure what the team leader needs to do except for keeping a tab on who is active (which I think will be done by all of us) and updating the first page of the team thread (which can only be done by Johanna anyway).

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 

Message 61 of 168
18 December 2012 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Although, not everyone got a say in it, it's almost
the 18th so I'll go ahead and post on the sign-up thread that Élan and I will co-lead the
team.

Élan
United States
Joined 5238 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Studies: Persian

Message 62 of 168
18 December 2012 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
I agree that Johanna will make the best leader. I'll just be the trusty sidekick that fills in when she wants a day off.
:)

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4166 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 168
18 December 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Now that we have finalized the leadership question, what about the possible team name?

Do we have any consensus on it?

cheers
niels

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 

Message 64 of 168
18 December 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I created a poll
to help us decide faster. Please only vote for one option. If you choose
"Other" please post your choice by Thursday afternoon the latest. Thanks.

Edited by JohannaNYC on 18 December 2012 at 11:17pm

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version