Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
168 messages over 21 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 20 21 Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 33 of 168
15 December 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back druckfehler and TheGreaterFool!! And welcome Élan!! What an exciting
addition to the team. We're now officially in the double-digits :)

druckfehler, are you using your 6WC log for TAC 2013 or are you creating a new one?
And yes we could have at least one godfather/mother per language, even per dialect.
Maybe Jappy will accept the position.

If you haven't already, please remember to post the link to your log by Jan. 1st or
else it's harder for us to show our support

Also if you find any links of interest please post them. I already added
easypersian.com to the 2nd post, thanks for
sharing druckfehler.

And last but not least keep the names coming. It'd be nice if we can have a name that
means something in all 3 languages whether it's the same meaning or a false friends. At
first I was thinking of the root for the word peace Salam in Arabic, Shalom(sp?) in
Hebrew so we could be Team SLM or S-L-M. But that's a little cliche, so will see.
What's the word for friend(s) in Hebrew and Persian?? In Arabic (Egyptian only?) is
ashab, plural I think is sahib.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 34 of 168
15 December 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I'll either use my TAC 2012 log or open a new one (if I can - last time I checked I wasn't able to open a new thread. It seems to be a common bug in the forum).

In Persian the word for friend is "doost", in Hebrew it's "chaver"...

salam/shalom would certainly work, but it's not the most exciting name... I like allusions to Arabian Nights, because the collection of stories originates in Persia. But as far as I know it has no connection to Hebrew, so maybe it's not very fitting.

A word I really like is "sheket" (Hebrew) - "sokoot" (Persian), which means silence, but I guess it may not be a very auspicious name for the team :D

How about going with a fruit? Something like Pomegranate?

Edited by druckfehler on 15 December 2012 at 7:17pm

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 35 of 168
15 December 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Absolutely no team silence please! How do you say
pomegranate in Persian? I know orange is bortugal and I
think it' the same or similar in Hebrew, I'd prefer
something shorter though.

Or keeping the idea of excitement, party in Arabic is hafla,
so we could be the party team.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 36 of 168
15 December 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Pomegranate seems to be Rimon in both Arabic and Hebrew, but something else in Persian.

Party would be nice. It seems to have a different name in all three languages, but I don't know if it matters that much.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 37 of 168
15 December 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry I haven't bumped up your thread sooner, life is getting in the way.

@JohannaNYC: plural is ashab, single is sahib. When saying "my friends," it's "ashaby"
plural and "sahby" singular. Of course, Egyptian dialect :)

@deadscreen: I'd say start with whatever dialect you're interested in. In my
experience, Egyptian dialect is pretty popular. What I notice is that since Egypt is a
huge cultural, historic, and tourism center in the Middle East, most people who don't
speak the Egyptian dialect learn to speak it. A huge example are singers and
actors/actresses. Resources for Egyptian dialect are plenty, too. But there is also a
wide variety of dubbed Turkish shows in Levantine currently. I think it's a bit easier
to find Egyptian dialect resources, though. You could always start with it, and later,
if you want to learn another dialect, it would be much, much easier, as long as you can
comprehend the language. The differences between dialects aren't as huge as most would
lead you to believe, and, as you can see from Jappy58's experience above, there is a
congruence and ease to it. It's mainly a matter of getting used to the sounds, rather
than understanding what is being said.

As for resources, I have a small booklet that was for preschoolers in my cupboard, that
taught the alphabet, and words to go with it, complete with pictures. I 'll search
online for freely available resources and link to them so that JohannaNYC can add it to
the resource post, and I do understand your predicament as I'm a student myself. I
could always scan the booklet and PM you the file, or anyone else, if there is any
interest. The alphabet is very easy and straightforward, and I'm sure you'll do well.

Some here mentioned diglossia. Do not let that discourage you. Learning to read and
pronounce MSA actually makes things easier. MSA is used mostly for formal speeches,
news, etc, while dialects are always for colloquial speech, and that encompasses all
sorts of media. Even news correspondents on interviews use colloquial dialects rather
than MSA. There's also a growing field of written material in the Egyptian dialect, to
my knowledge, and that includes comics, magazine articles, interviews, light novels,
etc. The great thing about knowing MSA, too, is that no matter what dialect you're
learning, you guaranteed to always find something to read and listen to in Arabic, and
it also serves as a common base for many words that jump between dialects. So look at
it more as a helpful tool rather than a barrier to cross.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. I'll post back with some links, and let me know if
anyone has any requests!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 38 of 168
15 December 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
How about Team HAP (Hebrew - Arabic - Persian)? Archaic meaning of the word: chance, good fortune

A team member would of course be called a "Happy" :)

Edited by druckfehler on 15 December 2012 at 8:07pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5855 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 39 of 168
15 December 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Actually, the word for orange (in Arabic also) is "Portugal", it's just that the letter "P" does not exist in their alphabet. My Arabic teacher told me that it's because, although the fruit was known (as "naranj", a Persian word), it was just available in its more acid version. Portuguese sailors (and merchants) brought the sweeter version over from the Far East (China?) and it became thus known ever since. Not a bad story...

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 40 of 168
15 December 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Pomegranate seems to be Rimon in both Arabic and Hebrew, but something else in Persian.

Party would be nice. It seems to have a different name in all three languages, but I don't know if it matters that much.

For what it's worth when we were trying to pick a name last year for the Finno-Ugric/Balto-Slavonic team, I figured that to keep it suitably linguistic yet balance distinctiveness with unity, a way out would be to settle on a proto-language form for each group. In the end we settled on *jäŋe / *ledús which means "ice" in Proto-Finno-Ugric and Proto-Balto-Slavonic which also had the nice bonus of having presumed reflexes in the target languages represented in the team's membership.

From what I can see, you folks have two language groups: Afroasiatic (covers Semitic (i.e. Arabic and Hebrew) and Cushitic (i.e. Somali)) and Indo-European (or to make it clearly "Middle Eastern", the Iranian sub-group which covers Farsi as well as any straggler who wants to study Kurdish among other languages used around Iran)

One example could be to use the gloss for "heart" in Proto-Afro-Asiatic (i.e. *li/ubb- which has been reconstructed using terms in Arabic, Hebrew and Somali (among other languages) cf. Arabic: لب, Hebrew: לב, Somali: wab)) and Proto-Indo-European (i.e. *k'erd- which has been reconstructed using terms in several attested languages including some Iranic languages (but not Farsi, Kurdish or Tajik) such as Avestan (dead), Ossetian and Pashto (cf. Avestan zǝrǝdā, Ossetian зæрдæ, Pashto زړه)).

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version