Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
168 messages over 21 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 20 21 Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4245 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 41 of 168
15 December 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei, no specific requests from me, but whatever you find feel free to send it our
way. It's better to have too many resources than not enough. As for MSA vs the dialects
I guess it depends on what one wants to do with the language. But for people with no
preference then yes learning MSA first is probably best.

I like HAP, I like all the names. Keeping the earlier food references we could be
falafel, pita, hummus or something along those lines. Unless of course it's different
in Persian and Hebrew. Yes, the German team has schnitzel, but we could join them with
a humorous food reference.

Maybe we could each pick our top 3 names and then if we can't agree set up a poll with
the forerunners and have a name by the 21st the latest.

My top 3 (in nor particular order) are: hummus, djinn and HAP.

1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5051 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 42 of 168
15 December 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:
Absolutely no team silence please! How do you say
pomegranate in Persian? I know orange is bortugal and I
think it' the same or similar in Hebrew, I'd prefer
something shorter though.

Or keeping the idea of excitement, party in Arabic is hafla,
so we could be the party team.

No, orange in Hebrew is "tapuz." And people do say hafla in Hebrew, but it's not very
common and I don't know about Persian.

I like the food idea!

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 43 of 168
15 December 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
Actually, the word for orange (in Arabic also) is "Portugal", it's just
that the letter "P" does not exist in their alphabet. My Arabic teacher told me that
it's because, although the fruit was known (as "naranj", a Persian word), it was just
available in its more acid version. Portuguese sailors (and merchants) brought the
sweeter version over from the Far East (China?) and it became thus known ever since.
Not a bad story...

1) This discussion reminds me of a thread that I started some time back. Some
interesting ideas and theories here:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/f orum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29846&PN=3&TPN=1

2) Also, in other news...
.إذهب إلى القاهرة اليوم!!! لا تكرهوني   
(Imma be in Cairo today. Don't hate on me.)

3) Friend is صديق in MSA. Friends is أصدقاء. Quite different from the Egyptian dialect.

4) I like HAP. It does sound happy.

PS: Godparents and experienced Arabic learners, please feel free to correct my written
Arabic. It's how I learn. Kinan used to do that on my old log and I hope she's doing
fine.

PPS: This team seems to be getting off to a great start!!

Edited by strikingstar on 15 December 2012 at 10:59pm

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 44 of 168
15 December 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to share some solid resources for Persian:

Persian Grammar: For Reference and Revision A solid book on the grammar of Persian, though it may not be the most comprehensive it does well in explaining nonetheless.

UT Austin has Persian Online, a good website with some audio.

Easy Persian, mentioned earlier by another member, is excellent.

These are good beginner's materials, IMO. I am still looking through some of my other materials.

صاحب , BTW, is the singular form of أصحاب
(asHaab), meaning "friend" and "friends" respectively in the Egyptian dialects (and some other dialects as well).

If anyone wants to know some resources for dialects, I am willing to provide them, though it seems like most are indeed starting with MSA for now. My plan is to create a comprehensive thread listing resources (and advice) for Arabic (MSA and dialects), but I've been so busy lately that my progress has been slow on the project.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4841 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 45 of 168
15 December 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
MSA is used mostly for formal speeches, news, etc, while dialects are always for colloquial speech, and that encompasses all sorts of media.

A Libyan man said to me "Anime are dubbed in MSA." Now, what about Arabic cartoons? Are they all dubbed in Libyan and other dialects?

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 46 of 168
16 December 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Woodsei wrote:
MSA is used mostly for formal speeches, news, etc, while dialects are always for colloquial speech, and that encompasses all sorts of media.

A Libyan man said to me "Anime are dubbed in MSA." Now, what about Arabic cartoons? Are they all dubbed in Libyan and other dialects?

Most children's cartoons produced in the Arab country are in Modern Standard Arabic. Al-Jazeera is a prime example. In fact, it is often why Arab children are often among those most willing to speak MSA - and it is through cartoons that they often begin assimilating the "rules" of MSA. Other shows or movies that are often in MSA are those related to history or religion. Sitcoms and soaps, however, tend to be dialect-specific. Talk shows are interesting: hosts may lean towards standard Arabic, but mix in plenty of colloquial Arabic, while the guests almost always stick to their native dialect. Cooking shows are often in dialect as well.

Many foreign films and shows (almost every genre) are indeed dubbed in MSA as well - for the most part. Sometimes Disney films and fantasy films are dubbed in dialect, however (such as Egyptian). As mentioned earlier, the vast majority of Turkish dramas are dubbed in Levantine. Historical dramas are almost always dubbed in MSA.

EDIT: As many of you may already know, Egyptian and Levantine dominate the entertainment industries when it comes to films, TV, and music. Gulf Arabic is going strong however, and is becoming more international in popularity. Other dialects, however - such as the Maghrebi variants and Yemeni - are still not as international in popularity, unless it's between certain Maghreb countries.

Edited by Jappy58 on 16 December 2012 at 1:35am

Élan
United States
Joined 5237 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 47 of 168
16 December 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
I got a little lost in the name talk, but what words would you like to know in Persian? Pomegranate is "anar", orange
(fruit) is "portogal", and a party is a "mehmooni".

I reviewed all of the easily available Persian textbooks and courses during the TAC a couple years ago, so I will dig
up that thread and repost the reviews and my resource list for the Persian learners.

I really like the HAP name with HAPpy participants. :)

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4245 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 48 of 168
16 December 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Wow, this team is really HAPpening today ;)

strikingstar wrote:

2) Also, in other news...
.إذهب إلى القاهرة اليوم!!! لا تكرهوني   
(Imma be in Cairo today. Don't hate on me.)

You can't say that and not expect us to hate on you, LOL!!! Have a good trip and let us
know how it went.

Jappy58 wrote:

If anyone wants to know some resources for dialects, I am willing to provide them,
though it seems like most are indeed starting with MSA for now. My plan is to create a
comprehensive thread listing resources (and advice) for Arabic (MSA and dialects), but
I've been so busy lately that my progress has been slow on the project.

If you know of a textbook for Egyptian please let me know. Learning from various
sources is great, but I like having some structure to my learning.

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version