justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 50
15 January 2013 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:
I actually got the idea from Kerrie and Danac, but definitely an idea worth borrowing!
English language DVDs usually only bring English, Spanish and French subtitles so I need
to have the shows and TL subtitles downloaded onto my computer.

I rarely watch TV in English anymore. I would rather watch the Spanish or French version, even tho it's dubbed. When I'm watching in French, I still need English subtitles, but with Spanish I learn more if I have the Spanish subs on. I usually pick up at least a few words every episode. I haven't tried it yet with Croatian very much, though. I'm saving that for later in the year once I've finished my Assimil course. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 26 of 50
16 January 2013 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
@Julie I would actually read it again for Croatian, especially if I run out of
books for my Major Challenge. As for subtitles maybe you should try them for Russian,
you'll have more options.

@Kerrie it's a good thing you live in the US. If I'm not mistaken you can turn on
the close captioning to most Spanish shows. There's also the SAP option for a lot of
shows. Have you been able to find any Croatian subtitles for Croatian shows??

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 

Message 27 of 50
16 January 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Hendrek wrote:
Johanna,

I'm curious what your opinion is between the Paul Noble course and the Michel Thomas
course. I've heard they are very similar. Would you recommend one over the other?
(not
that either would ever release a Persian version anyway :) )

Short answer: It would be hard for me to recommend Paul Noble over MT or vice versa not
only because the methods are similar, but also because I've only done one of each and
for very different languages (PN for Italian, MT for Arabic). If money is not a problem
or if I can borrow them, I would try both.

Long answer: Listening to PN without the students starting to hesitate and mispronounce
the answer the moment the teacher asks it, is like music to my ears. PN also has built-
in pauses for you to answer without having to pause your player. The PN Italian uses a
lot less metaphors and mnemonic devices than MT. But this might be because Italian
grammar is easier than Arabic so maybe he doesn't need to use so many metaphors. I also
find his voice very enjoyable.

The lady who teaches the Arabic MT can be really annoying sometimes. Like she goes so
out of her way to make a point that sometimes she stretches the English word beyond
recognition. Also, to help us remember the root, suffixes and other parts of Arabic
word and sentence construction she came up with this really elaborate metaphor of the
stem of the word, the flower, the base and then she has us running from one table to
another table on the other side of the room. It's just too much to remember for a
system that you're not supposed to try hard to memorize. There are also a few times
when she spends a good 5+ minutes just going on and on about these flowers and bases
and the window of the house. When I had enough of this, I started adding what we were
learning to Anki, I wish I had started sooner. This same lady does the voice
instructions for Colloquial Arabic of Egypt and in this one I like her just
fine.

If my memory serves me correctly there is more content in the Foundation MT than there
is in PN. MT also has the advanced CDs and vocabulary. The Arabic MT has a native
speaker who almost always gives the correct pronunciation after the students. He also
shares some cultural information and popular expressions. For the Vocabulary CDs they
actually have advanced students with very good pronunciation. So like I mentioned in my
previous post I was disappointed that NP didn’t use a native Italian speaker and so far
(I’m in CD 9 out of 12) there hasn’t been any cultural information. It also bothers me
that PN only teaches the formal LEI form and only mentions the informal tu in the
booklet.

So I guess it all depends what you want to get out of the course. Pronunciation is VERY
important to me and I've heard so many bad things about MT's accent that I decided to
go with NP for Italian as I thought I would be getting a native speaker. Oh well, at
lest her accent is not horrible, just too stiff for a native speaker. I just wanted a
quick way to tap into all the similar vocabulary between English and Italian and I
already got that.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 50
18 January 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:
@Kerrie it's a good thing you live in the US. If I'm not mistaken you can turn on
the close captioning to most Spanish shows. There's also the SAP option for a lot of
shows. Have you been able to find any Croatian subtitles for Croatian shows??

We don't even have cable, so I have no idea about Spanish captioning. There's plenty of stuff on the internet, though. :)

I haven't found ANY subtitles for any of the Croatian shows I've found. It's rather disappointing, to be honest.

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4676 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 29 of 50
18 January 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Johanna, thanks so much for the thorough review. I will keep Paul Noble in mind if and
when I start French (longer term plan). I personally found the Italian MT course to be
helpful, but primarily once I got to the review discs. I would put them on loop during
my commutes and answer in the brief pause provided until I had them down pat. These are
the CDs where it's just MT saying the word or phrase in English, about a 1 second delay,
and then him giving the correct Italian version. Trying to say everything within that
brief pause eventually trains it to be automatic, which helps a lot in conversation.

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 

Message 30 of 50
28 January 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
No estaba muerta, andaba de parranda.. not really. I had a lot of prepping to do before
my guest's arrival and then I got sick. Then at the beginning of this past week I
received a nasty financial surprise that left me without any desire to communicate with
anyone unless I had to. I'm like a turtle, I go inside my shell when things are bad.
Anyway, throughout it all I managed to work on all my languages.

ITALIAN:
1/14 - 1/20 = 10 hours and 26 mins
1/21 - 1/27 = 7 hours and 15 mins

Finished Paul Noble, went back to Pimsleur, did some Assimil Scriptorium, read Twilight
and watched Winx Club in Italian. But most exciting of all, I had my first Italian
conversation last week!! I had to constantly ask "how do you say..?" but I did most of
the talking with my tandem partner and another guy asking me about the languages I'm
learning and what not. This week my partner was sick so my Italian conversation was a
lot more tiring as the guy I was speaking with wouldn't slow down unless I asked him
to. Yesterday someone gave me an Italian documentary with Italian subtitles, I
can't wait to watch it!

I've decided that reading extensively at this stage is not that useful, so I'm spending
a lot of time looking up words, writing them down and adding them to Anki. So of course
I'm counting that as study time. As a matter of fact I'm no longer distinguishing
between immersion and study hours for any of my languages as I can learn just as much
by speaking and watching TV with subtitles (which I write down of course) as by
textbook studying.

CROATIAN
1/14 - 1/20 = 5 hours and 51 mins :(
1/21 - 1/27 = 9 hours and 44 mins
Teach Yourself Croatian, read Percy Jackson, talked with my friend (and with his
parents on Skype), watched TV shows in Spanish and English with Croatian subtitles. My
friend leaves on Feb. 6 so I want to have at least one full 30-minute conversation
daily in Croatian between now and then. I had a lot more to say (what a surprise), but
I accidentally hit refresh before posting.

ARABIC
1/14 - 1/20 = 10 hours and 5 mins
1/21 - 1/27 = 9 hours and 51 mins .

Except for 3 hours of MT and daily Anki review all of my study time the past 2 weeks
went to Colloquial Arabic of Egypt. Speaking is a great motivator for my studying and
the best way for me to remember what I study. So I’m trying to get through the
Colloquial textbook as quickly as possible so I can have conversations in Arabic that
don’t have to do with haggling over prices or ordering “omleits” with “botatos”. Of
course, my time is not unlimited so I have not been practicing my script much lately.
So much to learn, so little time… SIGH

I watched this awesome movie called Dunya, which is now my favorite Arabic movie. I
will write about it later, now I have to study before going to work.

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 

Message 31 of 50
28 January 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I just registered for the 6WC with Italian. I was debating whether to do the 6WC at all
this time around, but having 3 languages all in the A1-A2 range is too tiring and Italian
would be the easiest one to get out of that range. To make sure I don't neglect my
tougher languages too much I only plan on spending about 100 hours total in Italian
during the challenge. I did the math and I will still be able to spend about 12-13 hours
weekly for both Arabic and Croatian.

Off to study Arabic, for real this time.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4965 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 32 of 50
30 January 2013 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Hi, Johanna! Where are you in Assimil Italian with Ease? I have only finished three lessons (I am
supposed to be doing another one tonight - who knows if that will happen, though :) ), but so far I really like
the book. I am so glad I bought it!

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version