Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
50 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 49 of 50
01 June 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
hi! just wanted to let you know that tadoku starts tomorrow! (june 1)
would be fantastic to compete with you in Croatian ;)

Thanks, although I'm making progress in Croatian I can't read without checking the
dictionary every other minute :( It's my first Slavic language and the random word order
makes for very slow reading even when I know or can guess the meaning of the words. Maybe
in October. Sretna!
1 person has voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4246 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 50 of 50
27 June 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
One down, two to go...

I used the self-assessment checklist from the "Swiss version of the European Language
Portfolio", which someone posted here a while ago, to determine my level in Italian. My
weakest Italian skill and the one I've been working on for the past three weeks is
writing. Spanish has been very helpful in my Italian passive skills and in feeling very
comfortable with Italian grammar and sounding like I've been studying for years instead
of months. Unfortunately, Spanish is constantly interfering with my Italian writing,
especially when writing 'q' or 'hard c'. Surprisingly, spelling was not one
requirements for B2 as per this checklist. So I was actually at B2 in Italian by the
end of April. But I'm glad I took the time to become more comfortable with my spelling.

Croatian, on the other hand, is a little behind schedule. With the warm weather my
social life has taken an upswing and I'm having a really hard time making time to study
and to concentrate when I do make time. All I do now is occasionally read a woman's
magazine and watch "Larin Izbor" everyday, even though I've been done with the movie
part of my Super Challenge. If this trend continues I doubt I'll be able to reach
active B2 in Croatian by the end of September. I think I'll have to do the August 6WC,
which I was NOT planning on doing.

I'm still taking a break from Arabic for at least another two weeks supposedly to
concentrate on Croatian. But since Arabic isn't "due" until the end of the year, I'm
hoping it'll be ok once summer is over and that back-to-school feeling motivates me to
once again take my studies more seriously.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version