United States
Joined 4308 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 2 of 26
15 December 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
December 14

So I started learning Korean this September but I never really put a ton of effort in.
I learned Hangul but besides that, I wasn't really focused on actually learning the
language. I listened to a lot of Korean music and watched a ton of kdramas (My current
faves are To the Beautiful You and Personal Taste). Lately I've been trying to step it
up so I keep finding random sources that I think will help me but I never actually put
them to use. Most of my sources are videos on youtube or apps on my phone.Also, school
has made any sudden inspiration seriously short lived.

Study Style
Most of my sources are on videos on youtube or apps on my phone but hopefully i'll get
a book I asked for this Christmas. Out of the many random ones I found, I really like
sweetandtasty's channel. I also really like BusyAtomdotcom's channel. Then I have the
apps on my phone which I actually don't really use like that except for working on my
Hangul and vocabulary. I used Korean101 once which was very comprehensible, but I'm
never
really motivated to do it. Since youtube is my major enemy with procrastination, I
still can feel like procrastinating but simultaneously learning! Also I listen to
Korean music whenever I can so I can try to hear the one word I know in them (sarang).
I also have Byki 4 express but I never really use that either. For the New Year I'm
going to make a totally new study style. I'm going to try to study Korean for at least
30 minutes a day.I want to be able to have an overall basic understanding of the
language. I'm going to post here once a week minimum.

Edited by Kami on 15 December 2012 at 1:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 26
15 December 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Busy Atom is great. I also warmly recommend Seoul University's free introductory online course which is totally fun to study with and will teach you all the important basics: Click Korean
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 4 of 26
16 December 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Thank you!I took a look at the site and I really like it! It's nice how they show the
scene, the key phrases and the transcript.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4421 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 5 of 26
18 December 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Well obviously, since you're learning korean I guess you've heard of TalktomeinKorean,
but since you didn't talk about it in your presentation, I thought I should check! If you
haven't checked it before you should, it's one of the best (and free!) websites for
learning Korean.

Anyway, I'll be keeping tabs on your log team mate! Wish you good luck on that awesome
journey!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 6 of 26
18 December 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Yuhakko! I never really noticed it before, but i took the time to take a good
look at it and I do really like it. Plus they have an app too so it's perfect:)

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 7 of 26
18 December 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
This month I plan to focus on familiarizing myself with the sentence structure of Korean.
I'll also work on building my vocabulary with basic words and verbs. I'm going to test
out all of my resources by using each one for a week and seeing how I like it so this
week I'm going to listen up to unit 5 of level 1 in Talktomeinkorean then I'll study all
the vocabulary and verbs I learned and write them in an journal so I can take it wherever
with me.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 8 of 26
19 December 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good plan! Looking forward to reading your impressions on the different materials. I only got to know most of them when I had been studying for a while, so I'm curious which ones work well at the beginning.

You might also want to experiment with Spaced Repetition (something like Anki, a very effective vocabulary trainer). You can download it for free and also use it as an app. I think this helped me the most with studying vocabulary. You can either make traditional word-translation cards, or put in sentences, etc.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version