kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4979 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 177 of 246
14 April 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I have the same issue with the updates coming from my email. I thought it was something I setup by accident at some point and couldn't quickly find a solution so I gave up. I get the updates and it's a little weird but I get them. They're delayed occasionally but that hasn't happened much lately.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 178 of 246
14 April 2014 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
For me, I am getting some of them, but not all. And they are coming through as delivery failures, as if I sent them. I posted a thread in the technical forum which might be more visible to the right people. :D

I also sent an email to Yahoo customer service, so between folks here and there, hopefully I can get it figure out. :)

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 179 of 246
14 April 2014 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I'm having the same problem. None of the emails are coming through (also on yahoo). For now I'm going to Active topics, then choosing More to see the threads I'm "watching". I don't know if it's related to all the error messages that have been thrown lately? Thanks for posting to the technical forum. I hope they can help.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 180 of 246
14 April 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Well, not glad that other people are having trouble, of course, but just that the problem is probably not at my end.

A week or two ago, I spent an hour or two setting up a better filtering system for my HTLAL emails, with Lobo threads going to one folder, Triomphe and French to another, etc, and I wanted to actually follow the people on the teams I'm observing, since the beginning of the year rush should be settled down now. I was wondering if that was the cause of my problems, but maybe not. :D

It would be really nice if this forum would upgrade to something resembling the twenty-first century. <sigh> Just saying. :)

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4663 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 181 of 246
16 April 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Had the same issue for a long time, all emails from HTLAL are sent "from" me. I just live with it.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 182 of 246
16 April 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Bjorn wrote:
Had the same issue for a long time, all emails from HTLAL are sent "from"
me. I just live with it.

Same here. I'm using Thunderbird on Linux Mint, so I don't think that the issue is
filtering.

You can probably filter on the title if that helps?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 183 of 246
26 April 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I ended up fixing the email notification problem by changing my email address here. I never figured out what was wrong. After a week of emailing with Yahoo, Charter, and some other people I don't know, I just gave up.

I've been gearing up for the next Super Challenge, which will start again in May. I was hoping to do the April Learning Challenge, but ... life got in the way. Big surprise!

I've started working on HP1 in French, though, and instead of doing it on my Kindle this time, I have found Benny's Learning With Texts very useful. I'm working more on passive knowledge, since my focus is on reading. There's still a ton of vocab to learn, though. For a "kids book" JK Rowling has a pretty good size vocabulary. :D

I've also decided to put the first few chapters of new Spanish books/authors into LWT, as I think it will make things run more smoothly when the SC officially starts. I have about ten books on my "next to read" list. Which will probably take me through the whole challenge. :D

My goal for the SC is to do a Double Challenge for both Spanish and French. That's 10,000 pages (for each language). The audio/film part may be harder for French, but I imagine I will do some audiobooks at the beginning, and I will count those for listening. I'm more interested in pushing myself to read, though. The SC did A LOT for my Spanish reading, and if I can make even half the progress in French over the next 20 months, I will be thrilled.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 184 of 246
26 April 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Just a few comments on the Super Challenge.

I like the stars idea. For each 25 items (90m movie/audio, or 50 pages of reading) you get a star. This will be really cool if I make enough progress in French to start Italian, Portuguese, or German later next year.

However, I really dislike that we've reduced the reading amount by half. I think it defeats the idea of a *SUPER* Challenge. (I understand why Cristina made that choice - it makes it more accessible to more people.) But it takes the super out of Super Challenge. The original idea behind the challenge was to push you out of your comfort zone and to make great strides in ONE language. Not three. Not five. Not eleven. ONE. There is no way (most folks) can make that much progress in more than one or two languages in a year or two. The fact that only half a dozen of us did it last time around is proof of that.

I'm aiming for the old rules on reading. Yes, that much reading is a bitch. It is HARD WORK. But wow did it do wonders for my Spanish! And you know what? The reading part has made a huge impact on my understanding. It doesn't work the other way around.

I think it would be cool to state our intention, whether we will aim for a half, full, or double challenge.

I also think it would be fair to count reading subtitles (as reading) if the audio is in a language you don't know. (For example, if I am watching something in Korean or Japanese with Spanish subs, I *have* to focus on the subs, or I am lost. Which is completely different that listening to something in English and "reading" subs in a target language.) Just my two cents.

Note: This is my opinion, and my opinion only. I don't want to argue about it (Serpent). I'm not posting this in the SC thread, because it doesn't belong there. It is Cristina's challenge, it's her rules, and I absolutely respect everything she decides.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version