Diglot
Norway
Joined 4663 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 193 of 246
27 April 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie, I'm sorry to hear that since I'm been following your log.
Good luck with your Super Challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6347 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 194 of 246
27 April 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry to hear it as well. Have you tried asking Serpent not to post in this log? She would respect it, I hope. Anyway, that's what I would do if someone tried to derail my log.

On topic, good luck with the super challenge and also good luck with Korean. You're always welcome to post in the Gumiho team thread.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 195 of 246
27 April 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm not trying to derail it, honestly. I'd be sad to get such a request but I'd respect it, as long as you didn't mention me either.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 196 of 246
20 May 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 

I really wanted to sign up for iTalki's new challenge. I think it is awesome they run these challenges to get people talking to natives and taking real lessons. It just sucks that 25 hours of lessons, even at a few dollars a lesson, is completely out of my budget.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 197 of 246
21 May 2014 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I really wanted to sign up for iTalki's new challenge. I think it is
awesome they run these challenges to get people talking to natives and taking real lessons. It just sucks that 25
hours of lessons, even at a few dollars a lesson, is completely out of my budget.

I pay for most of my italki lessons using credits that I earn by teaching lessons. It's not for everyone, but maybe
worth considering?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 198 of 246
21 May 2014 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I pay for most of my italki lessons using credits that I earn by teaching lessons. It's not for everyone, but maybe
worth considering?

I've thought about that, but I'm gone 12 hours a day for work, and weekends are the only time I have to catch up on housework. And see my kids. And study languages. And chill out. And get ready to move a four-bedroom house into a two-bedroom apartment.

Oh yea, and sleep once in awhile, too. :)

Edited by Kerrie on 21 May 2014 at 2:29am

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4979 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 199 of 246
21 May 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
I was psyched when I saw the challenge on italki but then the amount of lessons for the challenge and how it
didn't include any self studying and what not.. I felt like they were trying to make money off me. I can be
cynical though. I just started italki though and think its a great site. And good luck to any who do the World
Cup challenge.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 200 of 246
21 May 2014 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Tutors cost money. Language exchange partners cost time (since you have to spend half the time speaking your L1, and you have to negotiate times that are convenient to both of you, instead of just booking a session). If you have more time than money - language exchange partners are your best bet. If you have more money than time - then I do think tutors are very useful.

A bit of a cheeky trick that I use: when looking for a language exchange partner on italki, I seek out trained teachers with good ratings. I figure that that way I'll get a high-quality language exchange partner who knows how to correct me appropriately.

Kerrie wrote:
I've thought about that, but I'm gone 12 hours a day for work, and weekends are the only time I have to catch up on housework. And see my kids. And study languages. And chill out. And get ready to move a four-bedroom house into a two-bedroom apartment.

Oh yea, and sleep once in awhile, too. :)

Isn't it annoying how life tends to get in the way of language learning? ;) I'm also moving from a house to an apartment - and it would be *much* easier if I weren't married to a packrat who absolutely NEEDS everything we have. Ha! Anyway, you sound like you're way busier than I am, so kudos to you for all of the languages you're working on!
kraemder wrote:
I was psyched when I saw the challenge on italki but then the amount of lessons for the challenge and how it didn't include any self studying and what not.. I felt like they were trying to make money off me. I can be cynical though. I just started italki though and think its a great site. And good luck to any who do the World Cup challenge.

Well...yeah. They're trying to make money. They're a business, after all. And it wouldn't be feasible to offer a $40 prize for "winning" if they didn't know that most people wouldn't make it. But for people spending money on tutors anyway, it can be a great incentive! I finished an italki challenge last year - 20 lessons in 6 weeks, if I recall correctly - and I made an amazing amount of progress.

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version