246 messages over 31 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 30 31 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 57 of 246
25 January 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Rout wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

So Schoenhofs and their end-of-the-year inventory sale suck. I ordered the Esperanto Assimil book, and apparently it's out of print, so I'm out of luck. Blah.

I'm not sure a book better than this exists for learning Esperanto. What more could you possibly need? I believe all the editions are reprints of the same classic.
a book? maybe not. but there's lernu.com and it's better than any book.

But I agree about not using the same strategies as for natural languages. I first tried the sentences method in Esperanto and I didn't like my experience. Now I love it :P
1 person has voted this message useful

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5507 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 58 of 246
25 January 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Rout wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

So Schoenhofs and their end-of-the-year inventory sale suck. I ordered the Esperanto Assimil book, and apparently it's out of print, so I'm out of luck. Blah.

I'm not sure a book better than this exists for learning Esperanto. What more could you possibly need? I believe all the editions are reprints of the same classic.
a book? maybe not. but there's lernu.com and it's better than any book.

But I agree about not using the same strategies as for natural languages. I first tried the sentences method in Esperanto and I didn't like my experience. Now I love it :P

Now you're against books too? Even the author of an extremely popular and well-received (and very good) audio course thinks this is the best place to start. Here's the review.

Edited by Rout on 26 January 2013 at 2:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 246
25 January 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm not against books but a book offers just one method (and I'm wary of language learning "classics"), while lernu has a variety of options, so that everyone can find something suitable.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5507 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 

Message 60 of 246
26 January 2013 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm not against books but a book offers just one method (and I'm wary of language learning "classics"), while lernu has a variety of options, so that everyone can find something suitable.

If you read the review, he mentions lernu too. No one can learn a language with just one resource. That I guarantee. Why would you be "wary" of things that have been helpful for so many other people? Just trying to be original?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 61 of 246
26 January 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Because even if the language doesn't change much or at all (Esperanto, Latin), the world where it is spoken still changes. I don't want to sound old-fashioned or even just to hear old-fashioned stuff. And if this is avoided by using only sentences like "grass is green", it's going to be boring as hell.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5507 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 

Message 62 of 246
26 January 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Because even if the language doesn't change much or at all (Esperanto, Latin), the world where it is spoken still changes. I don't want to sound old-fashioned or even just to hear old-fashioned stuff. And if this is avoided by using only sentences like "grass is green", it's going to be boring as hell.

The reason the book is so highly recommended is because it doesn't have sentences like "the grass is green," and because it's not boring, and because it's not a bunch of outdated language. >.< I think you intentionally try to give me a headache sometimes. You're not going to sound "old-fashioned" in Latin or Esperanto anyway (I seriously laughed for a very long time when I read that). That's why it's so liberating to learn them.

On a side note, learning outdated language for Latin is EXTREMELY useful. Rant all you want, but there's little point in learning Latin if your intention is to completely avoid ancient texts in which such language is used.

Edited by Rout on 27 January 2013 at 12:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 63 of 246
26 January 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Well, to me there's very little difference between being old-fashioned and not knowing the modern words like computer or mobile phone. I certainly don't avoid ancient texts in Latin but if I find motivation to learn it actively I'll make sure to know these words, like Iversen does.

And I said why I'm wary of classic textbooks in general, not just this very one. A good textbook needs humour, and humour depends on the time and place (well, partly).
Besides, I'm going to feel uncomfortable if in the book anyone goes to the USSR or has a friend from there.

I've read the review now and the author clearly never used lernu before being already fairly fluent. ANY of their courses can be used as a "reliable guide". These courses are far more comprehensive than most other language stuff on the net.

Laugh all you want, I'm sure there are ways to sound old-fashioned in Esperanto. Any living language has them.

Edited by Serpent on 27 January 2013 at 12:00am

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5507 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 

Message 64 of 246
27 January 2013 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, to me there's very little difference between being old-fashioned and not knowing the modern words like computer or mobile phone.

The very next sentence:

Serpent wrote:
I certainly don't avoid ancient texts in Latin but if I find motivation to learn it actively I'll make sure to know these words, like Iversen does.

The same doesn't work for knowing "modern words" like 'computer' and 'cell phone?' Dictionaries.

Serpent wrote:

Besides, I'm going to feel uncomfortable if in the book anyone goes to the USSR or has a friend from there.

I think you're safe.

Serpent wrote:

I've read the review now and the author clearly never used lernu before being already fairly fluent.

Wonder how he got fluent?

Serpent wrote:

Laugh all you want, I'm sure there are ways to sound old-fashioned in Esperanto. Any living language has them.

Esperanto is an artificial, auxiliary language. It's very purpose is to bridge communities. Why do you have this irrational fear of sounding old-fashioned? Are you afraid the other kids are going to make fun of you in their sleek, poshy Espo-slang and you won't be able to understand?

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version