Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4829 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 1 of 26
17 December 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi (wo)men!

Just wanted to start my 2013 TAC log right here. These are the infos about me that I found useful sharing.

Arabic
Reason to learn: Reading from the right to the left seems cool. Writing no short vowels sounds interesting. Unique sounds are unique. Grammar is considered interesting (dual form for the win!).
Level: absolute beginner (Zero knowledge)
Aim: Conversational level (eg. everyday Arabic).
Plan:
01.01 - 22.04 Learn one lesson of Kullu Tamam! per week.*
23.04 - 21.06 Learn one lesson of Teach Yourself Beginner's Arabic Script each four-days-long period of time.
22.06 - 25.10 Learn one lesson of Teach Yourself Arabic (published 1992) per week.
26.10 - 31.12 I leave it tractable, but I'll probably just watch anime with Arabic subtitles. If my father sets up the parabolic antenna pointing to a satellite which transmits Arabic TV channels then I might opt for that, at least on days I'm home (Friday-Sunday).

Also, I intend to use some lyrics at some point or another.

Japanese
Reason to learn: I love watching anime so I thought it'd be a good idea to learn Japanese.
Level: false beginner (No ability to produce Japanese. Able to comprehend 100 words written or said)
Aim: Understanding of slice of life anime to a pleasant degree (e.g. 70%).
Plan: Watch one episode of anime per week.

Mandarin
Reason to learn: I love hanzi and tones so I thought it'd be a good idea to learn Mandarin.
Level: false beginner (No ability to produce Mandarin. Able to comprehend 1000 characters. No ability to understand spoken Mandarin)
Aim: Understanding of slice of life anime to a pleasant degree (e.g. 70%).
Plan:
Watch one episode of Chinese subtitled anime per week.
Listen to two Slow Chinese podcasts a week and learn the scripts by heart, recording myself saying them.

Watching Chinese subtitled anime, detailed:

1. Make AnkiDroid cards of all unknows hanzi used in a subtitle (by creating a frequency list of the hanzi, then letting OpenOffice Calc add the meanings and the pronunciation on the back side of the card automatically).
2. Learn all unknown hanzi in AnkiDroid.
3. Watch the episode having the subtitle open in Firefox (which lets me use Perapera), and make AnkiDroid cards of all the unknown words which had to be looked up for making sense of them.
4. Learn all added words in AnkiDroid.

I only try to retain the meaning of the hanzi, not the pronunciation.

*The noted time interval is 16 weeks whereas Kullu Tamam! has 17 lessons. However, I will use a different book for learning the script (which the 17th lesson is about), as described above.

Edited by Takato on 28 December 2012 at 2:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 26
18 December 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Did you say "Hi 我们"?? Ok bad joke but anyway, good luck for this year, I'll be following
your struggle with Japanese and Mandarin (mostly)! Doing 3 beginner languages at the same
time will probably be some challenge (especially considering the differences)

Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5860 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 26
19 December 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
こんにちは!

同じチームだから、 質問があります。 ど のぐらい日本語できますか。

false beginner は どういう意味でしょうか。 初心者では ないでしょう。 アニメが分かりますか。

Hi Takato,

Seeing as we're on the same team, I have some questions. What level is your Japanese?

What does false beginner mean I wonder? I guess you are not a beginner. Do you
understand anime?

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4829 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 4 of 26
20 December 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
@Jaseur 日本語の勉強は三年前始まりました。 false beginner は無という意味です。 アニメの分かりはまだまだですよ。

Edited by Takato on 21 December 2012 at 1:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4954 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 26
20 December 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Thought I'd drop by to say Hi. Can't help you with Japanese, but if it's Mandarin you
need, I'm at your service. And we can struggle through Arabic together... :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 6 of 26
20 December 2012 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Hello double Team mate! :)

Good luck with your three languages!

I'm really curious how you studied your 1000 Chinese characters. Also, do you have any study plans apart from watching animation? Not that I want to spoil your fun, but I think you'll make more progress (and in turn enjoy the animations more) if you include some grammar and vocabulary study.

Edited by druckfehler on 20 December 2012 at 10:12pm

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4829 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 7 of 26
21 December 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Doing 3 beginner languages [...] be some challenge (especially considering the differences)

Difference leaves no time for boredom. :)

@yuhakko @strikingstar @druckfehler Thanks.

druckfehler wrote:
I'm really curious how you studied your 1000 Chinese characters.

I studied like 200 kanji of the book Remembering the Kanji, then I did the following, alongside with RTK up to lesson 22 (640 kanji or so as a total):

I downloaded a deck called "Mandarin Chinese - Very Basic" in Anki, put it to Mnemosyne, then to MnemoJojo (StupidPhone version of Mnemo) and learned it. I added hanzi appearing in Chinese subtitled anime one or two months later (trying to memorize them while adding them to the deck) and learned them (in AnkiDroid), then the deck grew big (1200 or 1400 characters) and I stopped using AnkiDroid.

By the way watching a 21+3 minutes long episode (only the 21 minutes were of me learning Chinese because the other 3 minutes were just me watching the opening/ending with no actual study) initially took 6 hours, probably because I just added whatever hanzi with no real effort of me remembering what they meant in a word. Then I tried to remember the words as well, so I got better familiarized with them and I could watch an episode in just 4 hours.

It's worth noting I never really learned the pronunciation part, only the meaning of the hanzi. (I might know the toneless pinyin of 100 hanzi.) Due to this, I had to write the unknown characters by hand (that's why I ordered a SmartPhone from China; to have a touchscreen phone with Pleco).

Just to be clear, I love to write characters by hand because I think writing characters by hand is part of the language in both Chinese and Japanese. That's why I don't like JLPT too much; apparently, it doesn't test the writing of kanji at all.

druckfehler wrote:
do you have any study plans apart from watching animation? [...] you'll make more progress (and in turn enjoy the animations more) if you include some grammar and vocabulary study.

I was planning to make a thorough first post next week, but it seems all (wo)men are posting in others' logs before the Unseen Horizon arrives (which is supposed to happen at 6 AM 22.12.2012 UK time), so as it came to this, here's the deal:

I learned as much Japanese grammar as I could at the time (last year) but I still can't watch anime without subs, so I'm not sure learning grammar early on is the best choice. As for vocabulary, I've thought of it. I edited the first post so you can see it there. (I'll edit the non-Chinese part later.)

Edited by Takato on 23 December 2012 at 4:36pm

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4829 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 8 of 26
03 January 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Arabic
I spent 2 h 8 min on the kullu tamam! book and haven't gotten to the first lesson yet. I was doing the introduction about the pronunciation and am currently trying to memorize the greetings (issalāmu ٤alēkum, ŝukṛan) and what not.
Mandarin
I did 35 minutes hanzi reps in Anki. It was mostly made up of reviewing them, not too many new hanzi so far (170 hanzi or so).

I wanted to make the first update on the 7th, but I feel like I don't learn enough. I certainly haven't touched Japanese yet. When I want to make a small break in my learning, I end up with a 5 hours long break or so, and feeling that I'm not finished for today yet, I go to sleep at 7 AM, waking up with only 10 hours left of the day. The last time I learned the most in one day (on 14.8.2012, learning 10 hours with only a lunch break), I burned out (only learning 1 hour the next day, and not learning anything a week later). So I would be pleased to get some ideas about fixing that.

Also, counting the study time is a bit troublesome, but some of you seem to be enjoying it. Is it okay if I don't count the time?

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version