Triglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 89 of 251
12 February 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
A clear and detailed explication of exactly what I'd been thinking! I've been wondering to what extent these
principles can be applied to more distant languages; my experience thus far has been with applying these
principles to Germanic and Romance languages that are similar in vocabulary and structure to my existing store of
language knowledge (which also means that this process seems to be speeding up almost exponentially as I gather
more and more such knowledge--there are only so many Germanic and Romance word stems floating around there
waiting to be learned).

BTW: "80 episodes of a TV show is a few weeks on the playground for a kid." I think you meant "a few weeks on the
couch!"
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 90 of 251
12 February 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I've been wondering to what extent these
principles can be applied to more distant languages;

Going by both the usual FSI numbers and by my own limited experience with Assimil's L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique and a glance at L'Espagnol, I'd say it probably the same process, but that everything takes 3 to 4 times as long without any cognates or roughly analogous grammar.

It's like an English speaker buys French at a 75% discount, or more specifically, as if that 75% discount is held in escrow and slowly doled out to you as you're working.

geoffw wrote:
BTW: "80 episodes of a TV show is a few weeks on the playground for a kid." I think you meant "a few weeks on the
couch!"

Nah, I was just unclear. :-) Kids mostly seem to learn from other kids, especially once they hit school age or have a sibling. 80 episodes of TV is about 60 hours, or 5 hours per day for 12 days spent watching and interacting with other kids on the playground. It's chump change, basically, in terms of childhood language acquisition. Yet it's enough to gain a CEFR level or so in listening comprehension, depending on where you are in the process.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 91 of 251
12 February 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
geoffw wrote:
I've been wondering to what extent these
principles can be applied to more distant languages;

Going by both the usual FSI numbers and by my own limited experience with Assimil's L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique and a glance at L'Espagnol, I'd say it probably the same process, but that everything takes 3 to 4 times as long without any cognates or roughly analogous grammar.
Depends on the language, or even more specifically where the "long words" come from. If they are made of the short roots (like in Finnish or German), that's easier than when they are loans from a language you don't speak (e.g. from Arabic or classical Chinese).

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 92 of 251
07 March 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 27-28 and French audio entries 43-46

Hey, I'm still alive! I guess this is where I say "life got in the way." I'm still moving through my reading and listening,
at least, though not as fast as before, and my Russian for the 6WC got shunted aside entirely. Not a huge deal
about the Russian, as that was really just meant to be an experiment, and I can pick it up again later if I want. When
there are so many languages that I can at least stumble through books in now and get comprehensible input
(German, French, Yiddish, Dutch, Italian, and to a lesser extent Hebrew and some other Germanic and Romance
languages), it's become REALLY hard to get good hours in studying one where I can't (Russian).

I think emk said something similar--I'm really starting to love French documentaries. Not that the French do them
best or anything, just that they are interesting, easy to follow, and on TV5MONDE they sometimes have (accurate!)
captions. I watched a two hour documentary on French cathedrals recently, and it was riveting. It had math,
physics, art, history, computer analysis, and I could follow almost everything (thanks mostly, though not entirely,
to the captions).

Projects in progress now include that I'm moving forward through Song of Ice and Fire in German again, and
making significant progress in the same in Italian. My French reading has been a bit neglected, as has my Assimil
study--practically none for two weeks. Given how that turned out with French before, I'm not too worried, but I
need to pay attention. I also am reading the special edition of Spektrum (German science magazine) dedicated to
LHC, Higgs, and the like. The article I've been reading most recently is about the discovery and analysis of the
Quark-Gluon Plasma. When I walked in on my wife watching "The Avengers" (ed.: Marvel Comics edition) and
someone said they needed "Irridium, which makes antiprotons," I just couldn't suspend disbelief. Now if they'd said
it makes antiELECTRONS, maybe...

BOOKS (Italian): 3. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian):

27. Serie A: Roma - Juventus
28. Serie A: Milan - Parma

BOOKS (French):

18. ...

FILMS, ETC. (French):

43. Phineas & Ferb Movie
44. RFI (90 min)
45. Game of Thrones Season 2, ep. 6 (55 minutes)
46. TV5MONDE (130 minutes - Les Cathédrales Dévoilés, etc.)

BOOKS (Dutch): 28. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch):

32. ...

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 12. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 54. ...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 93 of 251
07 March 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Wow these are from so long ago that I don't even remember whether I watched Milan-Parma.
Don't you watch the Champions League? atdhe pretty much always has streams in German ;)

sorry if this sounded discouraging!!! Yay for an update!!!

Edited by Serpent on 07 March 2013 at 8:51pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 94 of 251
07 March 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Wow these are from so long ago that I don't even remember whether I watched Milan-Parma.
Don't you watch the Champions League? atdhe pretty much always has streams in German ;)

Yeah, if I can't record it and watch it a little bit at a time whenever I have a minute, I don't watch it. I tried getting
through Milan-Inter from 2 weeks ago or so and finally gave up (only made it through one half). I do most of my
football viewing late at night on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (which, ironically, is ALMOST right for the recent CL
matches). In other news, I finally got set up to start recording Ligue 1 again. Looking forward to the next PSG
match.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 95 of 251
07 March 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
And yes, I know PSG are in CL, too (for now). I do watch the news on TV5MONDE.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 96 of 251
08 March 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Apart from the final, CL is always played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays :)

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version