Joined 4513 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 185 of 251
24 January 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I don't know how sensible it is to learn the Russian declension
paradigms from charts. The point is that the declension of a Russian noun depends a lot
on phonological features of the noun stem, so I think it would be wiser to learn basic
patterns first and then elaborate on the variations of this pattern.

For example, feminine nouns ending in -я don't really decline differently from those
ending in -а.

I suspect we may be in "violent agreement" here. On the one hand, it did seem like
learning the two columns next to the column under -a was a bit redundant. However: 1) I
don't think there's any way around simply learning at least the first column, 2) the
time and effort required to memorize the next two columns was truly trivial, so why
not, and 3) my previous experience has been to start looking at the charts, see the
relationships, but then drown in a sea of tiny exceptions and end up forgetting
everything. It seemed easier to get my initial mental foothold by simply memorizing
them--once I found such an easy way to do that.

As a matter of practice, I'm sure when I am actually using these endings and actively
identifying them in my reading/listening that the relationship between these forms will
end up being how I remember them long term, just as you suggest.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4513 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 186 of 251
02 February 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
First Tadoku done, and the results are in: 210 pages of Russian read last month.

The overwhelming majority of that was Harry Potter. As essentially a rank beginner, I judge this to be a successful
effort. Now I may try to shift gears slightly in February and focus a bit more on intensive reading and Anki which
were neglected severely during January in favor of the Tadoku. Total Anki words learned is still just over 300--
which represents a big slowdown, but also is still a third of the way toward my goal of 1000.

For some perspective here, after checking out of the Tadoku for Russian this weekend, I picked up one of my
German-translated Star Trek novels again, and promptly read about 100 pages. Even when reading other German
books, or reading English, it normally takes a good while for me to read 100 pages, but in this case it was probably
only 2-3 hours. I suspect that the pages are shorter than my other books, for one. But the level of the prose also is
easier. I don't know every word in the book, but I often read 2 or 3 pages without running into a word that gives
me any real trouble. For comparison, it's fairly uncommon that I'll have a whole page in Das Cusanus Spiel with no
unknown words (the pages are noticeably longer, to be fair), and when unknown words come there, they come in
big bunches. Wolfgang Jeschke seems to use a more highbrow vocabulary than some other writers. I noticed this
effect with George R. R. Martin and the Song of Ice and Fire series. On the few occasions when I've peeked at an
English-language original from the series, I've seen a ton of words that I at least need to slow down for, and
certainly couldn't use in a sentence myself. For comparison, despite my much weaker vocabulary in Dutch, the
couple chapters I've read of Herman Koch's "Het Diner" didn't seem to pose any great vocabulary problems for me.

I've seen it suggested that my experience with the Star Trek novel this weekend is where the best vocabulary
acquisition occurs--lots of "easy" reading, as opposed to a little "hard" reading. At the same time, the most
obvious benefits for me have come at the rank beginner stage, where a little bit of really difficult extensive reading
can take me from beginner to intermediate understanding in a relatively minuscule amount of time. Anyone out
there have any opinions, anecdotes, etc. on this point?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4991 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 187 of 251
03 February 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I totally agree. I've tried to read hard texts in Georgian and, even with a translation
by its side, I couldn't make many words out of the context. I'd have to go for a few
essential words and make the Georgian-English match. When I tried an easier book, I knew
about half of the words. It was still not enough for an effective reading, but at least I
could focus on the remaining ones a bit more.

I'm going to start to read in German in a few months, and I want to focus on easier,
translated texts on familiar subjects first. My ultimate goal is to read about the native
language literature, but reading translated and even non-fiction word is a good
compromise in the beginning.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4513 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 188 of 251
23 February 2014 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Hey there! So February has been a bit of a vacation for my regularly scheduled TAC programming, but that doesn't
mean I've been idle, exactly. So what HAVE I been up to, aside from the handful of pages of Russian reading and
few hours of radio listening?

I read several hundred pages and finished two books in German that I started and abandoned ages ago; a Star Trek
novel and the first book of a German fantasy series, Das Geheimnis von Askir. I also read a couple more chapters in
the German translation of Tolkien's Return of the King. Someday I will finish the entire LoTR in German.

I did three weeks' worth of Assimil lessons for Polish, which had the side effect of letting me practice my French,
and occasionally even picked up some new insights into Russian. I see Polish as not even a side project, but more
of a diversion, but whatever I call it, it's been an enjoyable experience so far, and as a hobbyist, that's REALLY the
ultimate goal. I can tell that it has been MUCH easier for me to pick up Polish now that I've been working on
Russian intensively for a while. I'll probably drop it any day now--but who knows? That's what I said several times
about Dutch, and just earlier this month I found myself having an impromptu conversation with someone in Dutch.

I made a lot of progress in the Italian translation of Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring, and I may be able to finish
it soon. After doing all that intensive reading in Russian, coming back to Italian the reading is so easy by
comparison that it feels like I'm cheating somehow. Perhaps some things are clicking a little better for me in my
comprehension, too, as I get a little more experience. I also watched several hours of Italian TV and a few halves of
some Serie A games, as well.

But besides that, I guess I haven't been doing much with languages...

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4513 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 189 of 251
24 February 2014 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
It's back on the wagon for me, in a matter of speaking. I just officially resumed my run at Assimil Russian by
learning lesson 22. I'm hoping to make Assimil Russian a daily routine from here on out.

In other news, I did several hours of L-R with Polish Harry Potter today. (I think it was actually enough that when I
did my Russian lesson, I struggled with producing the Russian pronunciation for a little bit.) Still not planning to set
official goals for Polish, though.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4881 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 190 of 251
24 February 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:

As for the claim in the video of 57 different declension patterns, I'm sure that's technically
correct, but I wonder what that number really represents. For example, when there's a footnote
in the table that says "After a sibilant or a velar (г, к, or х) consonant, и is written,"
does that mean that this defines one more declension pattern, or is this an exception/lexical
rule that modifies a single declension pattern?

Are you talking about Czech or about Russian? Anyway, 57 declension types doesn't seem to be many if we take into account all the exceptions and special cases. In Russian the number of patterns is significantly increased by the shifting stress for example.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4513 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 191 of 251
24 February 2014 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

Are you talking about Czech or about Russian? Anyway, 57 declension types doesn't seem to be many if we take
into account all the exceptions and special cases. In Russian the number of patterns is significantly increased by
the shifting stress for example.

The video is talking about Czech of course--but I was trying to figure out what the equivalent number would be for
Russian.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4513 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 192 of 251
28 March 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Geruchten over mijn dood zijn sterk overdreven.

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version