United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 9 of 57
07 January 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
French:

Comprehension is getting better and better everyday, whether it be a word/sentence. Very Bad Blagues still presents problems every so often. Sometimes, I catch very little, sometimes pretty much the whole thing. It depends. Generally on a rewatch, I get a lot more.

I've been listening to radio more often. 30-40 min/day every other day.

Italian:

Nothing lately.

Spanish:

Watched a few episodes of Amores Verdaderos. It's sort of boring though. I'm going to watch some movies sometime this week hopefully.

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 57
08 January 2013 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Very nice log beginning and a lot of inspiration. Thanks :-)

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 11 of 57
12 January 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot. No problem. :)

French:

Nothing lately. I haven't watched any shows yet because there are still some American series/movies I'm trying to get through. Once I finish those, I'm going to jump in to some. I've been listening to a lot of radio though while playing video games.

Italian:

Some radio. I find the radio is quite easy to understand and I can follow most of the conversations. Even the heated ones having to do with sports and i tifosi.

Spanish:

I watched Los ojos de Julia. Great movie. The subtitles were perfect too. Conjugations are getting easier & vocab acquisition is easier than when I first learned French.

I've been going through Le nouvel allemand sans peine because I know how useful German is in the business world. The problem is finding movies with subtitles to watch.

I'm also highly put off by the grammar. I have been thinking about keeping Italian strictly passive and replacing it with German, if I can muster up the motivation to deal with the grammar.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5586 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 12 of 57
12 January 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
C'est un bon début, bon chance pour la suite!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 13 of 57
15 January 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
merci. toi aussi. :)

French:

I listened to some French youtubers. I'm very happy with my comprehension. The radio seemed to help immensely it seems.

I'm looking to dive into more Quebecois these next few weeks. I'm kind of scared to start with 30 Vies because I don't want to be discouraged if I can't understand it. :(
Apparently colloquial Montreal French is a tough nut to crack for foreigners at times.

Italian:

I have 3 movies lined up with subs. I'm going to try to watch them + get some more before the end of this week. Really excited to find out about Italy's, albeit somewhat dead today, previous standing in cinema.

Spanish:

I started to discover a hidden love for this language within the last 2 days, haha. The accents of Spain are awesome. The "j" paired with the "c" & "z" is just incredible to listen to.

I'm really only interested in Spain/Argentina though. The other hispanophone countries don't interest me much.

I watched Medianeras today. I'm doing what I used to do with French movies. I find myself pausing every other sentence to look up words. ugh! Anyway, it was a good movie. It concentrated on contemporary urban life.

General:

I'm planning on discontinuing the use of subs earlier than I did with French in both Spanish & Italian because I believe that with using subs too much you sort of "baby" yourself. Plus, both languages are more true to their spelling when spoken.

I was mesmerized when I first discovered French cinema more in depth. I would have missed many great films had I not bothered to learn the language(Mainly La Haine, Amelie, Intouchables). Spanish and Italian will hopefully leave me feeling the same. This is going to be a great year!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 14 of 57
20 January 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
French:

No shows or movies still, lately. I'm going to take a break from French and focus on Italian & Spanish to get them to a decent level. Plus I still have some American movies/series to finish watching before I get sucked into a French show, still.

Italian:

I watched La Nostra Vita. I noticed that I still had a large amount of gaps, so I decided to return to Perfectionnement. Two lessons/day until I finish my other Perfectionnement OR three/lessons a day to finish the book. Haven't decided yet. The Perfectionnements are significantly more easier than when I stopped using them though so I suppose that's a good sign.

Spanish:

Tried to watch La Mujer sin Cabeza. Incredibly boring movie and one of the few I couldn't finish. Like Italian, I noticed some gaps in my comprehension so I'm returning to Perfectionnement. So far, I think Spanish is the hardest language out of my three in terms of vocabulary, comprehension, & grammar. Mainly the passive voice and the extensive use of reflexive verbs. I'm doing two lessons/day in Perfectionnement which should see me finished the book in about 23 or 24 days.

General:

My main goals with the Perfectionnement books are to get more familiar with conjugations, reflexive verbs, and the passive voice. My second priority is building up a bit more vocab. French has definitely helped me internalize the other two languages quite easier which should make everything else come naturally.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 15 of 57
22 January 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
French:

When I meant take a break, that was for shows/movies and speaking only!

I did listen to some radio and managed to get the news that way. I prefer European news for several reasons:

-They aren't as edited or under exaggerated like the US news
-They go in depth on international subjects
-They talk more about the US on radio than I see on TV

I'm going to have to keep remembering to tune into FranceInfo rather than rely on something elsewhere

Comprehension is still good, minus some words/phrases that are too specific to politics or economics. My natural listening is improving, I think

Italian:

I'm doing two lessons a day, but three if I land on a revision lesson. Comprehension is getting there. My reading is strong. I finished lessons 16/17 in Perfectionnement today.

Spanish:

I caught about 40-50% of the news on one of the Spanish channels yesterday. This is my weakest language right now. Finished Assimil 16/17.

General:

Nothing for now

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 16 of 57
24 January 2013 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
French:

Watched 4 episodes of 30 Vies. While I can get the main plot and watch it comfortably, I'm having trouble picking up the little details. There's some serious drama going on about who is who's dad, affairs, etc. I just wish I could find season 3. :(

The accent/pronunciation is difficult to understand at first because I never exposed myself to Quebec's French besides 3-4 subtitled movies. I guess radio too, but I won't count it since it's a formal register. The hardest thing to get used to so far is "pis" for "et". I'm understanding more and more, little by little.

Italian:

I love this language more and more everyday. The music, my god the music! I also love the contractions. I'm not sure why, but I think any language that uses a lot of contractions is cool. :P

I can't see myself using this language much though. Everyone around me, and most of the Italian speakers in the US/Canada speak in dialect. I'm sticking it out nonetheless. I'd rate myself around a B1 right now.

Spanish:

I've been watching more of the Spanish channels and I can follow telenovelas pretty well. I can communicate basic phrases, but I still can't express myself too well. Assimil is starting to get tiresome with the long lessons. I wish Assimil made Perfectionnement how they did with Italian. More lessons, less content. As with Italian, I feel like around a B1.

That's it for now.

For French speakers, this is hilarious:

http://www.zap-actu.fr/2011/12/10/very-bad-blagues-quand-on- se-drogue/

"WOOOOW, TU JOUES COMME UN DIEU, MEC!"

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version