United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 49 of 57
23 October 2013 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
French:

I plan to finish with Les particules in the next two days, then start 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami with the audiobook. This will probably be my last French L/R for awhile because I have a lot of other books to read and I need to get through my shows before next semester. I found the last 2 seasons of "Les Ch'tis..." which is basically the French version of the Jersey Shore. I didn't mention that last post.

I've been watching Maison Close Season 2 w/ English subs, and Un village francais with French subs, every episode, every season, and accurate. I was so happy when I found the subs. Now I can watch some good TV without feeling stressed to understand it all by myself. I'd like to get through some of the movies from Quebec. I've neglected it for awhile. I can understand talk shows from Quebec quite splendidly though, which didn't happen a couple of months ago.

Spanish:

More Camera Cafe, some reading. Dime quien soy ended up being boring so I had to drop it. On the bright side, I'm going to L/R the last books of the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson along with 1Q84 in French. Both have about the same length.

I have two movies on the back burner. Law of desire & 15 Years + 1 day.

I also found a couple of reality shows, and I found out that Spain has a more direct port of Jersey Shore than France's "Les Ch'tis" which is called Gandia Shore.

It's funny how shows you would never watch in your NL become your favorite in your TL.

Italian:

I opted for Italian over German. Not only because it's simpler, but I have more motivation for it. Yeah, Italian still won't get done for awhile. I'm not sure when it will.

General:

I think I need a language break. I'm starting to feel stressed out by watching & reading in 3 different languages each day. My brain blocks out the simplest of sentences in French right after I watch a show in Spanish for example. "Il est jeune" literally becomes "wegdsgwgsgaf" (ok maybe not literally, but just nothing nonetheless.)

Edited by sillygoose1 on 23 October 2013 at 4:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ramblurr
United States
binaryelysium.com
Joined 4133 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), German

Message 50 of 57
24 October 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you should switch to a "one language per day" type of routine??
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 51 of 57
27 October 2013 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I tried that before, but then I always feel like I'm missing out on something. It's probably just in my head, but I feel like I accomplish more when I do work in both of them each day.

Anyway, I took a two day break, then I got back down to it.

French:

Finished Les particules elementaires then got the movie. The movie is German though.

Watched more of Les Chtis a ibiza. I'm starting to get accustomed to their way of talking. They mumble, speak grammatically incorrect, and use some argot. I wanted to see what other French people thought of it, and some said they had trouble understanding them because of their accent and how they speak, so I feel better. The episodes being 25 min doesn't drain me so I can watch up to 4-5 episodes a day before getting bored.

I decided to save 1Q84 for another time because I heard it wasn't his usual style and since I never read anything from Murakami, I'd rather start with his best stuff.

Having said that, I'm diving back into shows. I'd like to finish Maison Close, then Un village francais, then push through 4 seasons of Les Chtis while finishing Kaamelott & Bref.

Songs are still difficult to understand sometimes such as Serge Gainsbourg, Stromae, and Soprano. (all start with S, crazy) I can get maybe 50% my first listen of any given song, except for rougher hip hop like Keny Arkana.

Spanish:

Finished 2 chapters of La chica que sonaba... by Stieg Larsson. L/R is starting to get more fluid for me. I still look up the odd word here and there, but I'm enjoying it. The books seem so much better than the movies, even though I only saw the English remake.

I think that I indefinitely gave up on 2666 by Bolano. Even though I love his other work and can't hear enough about how much of a masterpiece 2666 is, I just can't get hooked right now. books with 1000+ pages don't tend to keep my attention. I'm going to definitely read the rest of his other stuff like Amuleto & Estrella Distante. I also heard of Javier Marias and looked up his stuff. El corazon tan blanco seems up my alley. Hopefully it's good.

More Camera Cafe, and I finally hit the 80& comprehesion mark! (rough estimate) It was so nice to be able to keep up with some of the jokes and the full plot. Now I just need to aim for those pesky little details and slang.

Italian:

I'm going to start L/R with La Storia on Monday.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 52 of 57
07 November 2013 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
French:

Finished 1.5 seasons of Un village francais w/ French subs. Listening is advancing, but at a considerably much slower rate than usual.

I've also noticed that every time I have a language slump, my listening skyrockets to another level it seems like. Slump, then I understand a few more words, slump, I can start picking out new words in speech, and so on.

The English subs for Engrenages apparently came out a couple of months ago and considering that's my favorite show next to Braquo, I want to get into it asap. I'm going to aim to finish all 5 seasons of Un village + the last season of Maison Close first.

Spanish:

Watched La Ley del Deseo. Good movie. Antonio Banderas/Pedro Almodovar are awesome as usual.

I also watched Camera Cafe. As stated above, I've had a slump lately, then all of a sudden I watch Camera Cafe, and I understood a lot more than usual.

I've also been watching Mujeres Asesinas. The Argentine accent is so lovely. I really want to speak Spanish with it.

Read a chapter of Marina by Zafon.

Italian:

L/Red some of La Storia, but the audio/text doesn't match. I'm just going to read a Harry Potter book to get me enough vocab to watch movies + read Roberto Bolano in Italian - what I couldn't find in Spanish nor French.

General:

I'd like to read at least a chapter of each language a day, while focusing on extensive listening in French + Spanish.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 53 of 57
11 November 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
French:

Finished the first episode of season 3 of Un village francais. It's getting easier and easier to understand.

Watched the first episode of Maison Close. This one is still a little difficult because of some 19th century phrases/words, and because it has a weird production effect where there's some sort of echo that makes it hard to hear words. I can't explain it, but it's the same thing they have in Homeland and newer movies.

Anyway, I can understand most words fine. I even watched some clips of La haine which I wouldn't have dreamed of understanding without subs, and now most of the words are clearer. Still some problem areas, though. But in a movie like La haine, I don't think I'd be able to get everything unless I was a native.

The last problem I have to overcome is linking everything in very rapid succession. I still get lost sometimes when people are talking rapidly one after the other about complex topics with new words thrown in. But that mainly only happens once inawhile in some comedies or action films.

Spanish:

Comprehension getting a lot better, but still not where I want to be. I still need more vocab and more listening practice. The Andalusian accent is especially troublesome at times.

Camera Cafe is getting a lot better. Jokes are starting to come to me now. Sometimes when I miss a sentence I sort of doze off and miss the next, then eventually I miss the whole skit trying to understand what I missed.

About 2/3 the way through the second book of the Millennium trilogy. I'm still pausing once in awhile because a sentence didn't connect or due to new vocab. Sometimes a 40-60 min long chapter can take 60-80 minutes respectively because I have to look up new phrases & vocab. I think that'll pass soon.

Finished episode 1 of season 5 of Aguila Roja + 3 episodes of Mujeres Asesinas.

Italian:

Read a bit, watched some dubbed shows. Nothing much. Much of the language is even more transparent to me than when I dabbled in it a few months back. I'm dropping reading indefinitely in favor of a movie approach because by the time my Spanish gets to my French level, it should be cake and I won't need to read to get to the level I want to be.

I'd like to check out Donne Assassine, the Italian version of Mujeres Asesinas, or Killer Women.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 11 November 2013 at 9:18pm

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 54 of 57
13 November 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
French:

After watching clips, I had the urge to re-watch La haine with shady French subs. The movie put me back in my place a little because of how they talked and all of that verlan. I can't believe how much I missed since a year ago when I watched it with English subs.

So. much. verlan. I didn't know verbs could be "verlanized". Il a trouve' became Il a ve-trou. Rigoler becomes "gole-ri", and so forth.

Another that surprised me was "ca" becoming "ac". I never thought about that one.

I always thought verlan was for nouns or adjectives. Like bizarre becoming zar-bi, mec = keum.

Anyway, I'm really done with books for now. I swear. I need to worry more about perfecting my comprehension than reading.

Spanish:

More Mujeres Asesinas. La chica etc is on hold. I want to get through some movies, season 5 of Aguila Roja, & 6 seasons of Fisica o quimica.

I really do notice a comprehension improvement even though I just wrote that 2 days ago. I'm surprised how much Fisica o quimica I can understand.

Italian:

Some dubbed episodes of Family Guy.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 55 of 57
02 December 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
French:

I finished Maison Close & all 5 seasons of Un village francais awhile back. The second season of Maison was a lot better than the first. I still didn't understand what they were trying to get at with the plot, but it was cool nonetheless.

Un village francais is probably one of the best shows I've ever seen. The first 2 seasons are pretty much character development, the but 3rd starts getting good, the 4th better, and the 5th is heart crushing. I think they're doing one more season which is coming out next year.

I'm reading more. I've started Misericorde by Jussi Adler Olsen. Seriously, the Scandinavians are the masters in police novels. Stieg Larrson, Henning Mankell, Jussi Olsen, etc.

I'm in the middle of season 4 of Engrenages. Most of the speech I understand, but there are still some gaps. It's so much easier compared to last year when I watched the first 3. I still have some work to do however.

I watched a movie without subs yesterday, the first one in awhile. "Tout ce qui brille". I didn't get as much as I wanted because it was kind of boring. It didn't hold my attention. I need to start watching more raw movies. Probably after Engrenages.

Spanish:

I have 2 more chapters left in the 2nd Stieg Larsson book. I'm getting a lot of vocab still which is good. There's not really much suspense, but what he lacks in it, he makes up for with great writing. I can't wait to read the 3rd book.

I finished the 5th season of Aguila Roja. Listening still isn't exactly my strong suit in Spanish quite yet. Most of the season was boring filler though which s disappointing. The end was pretty good though.

Right now I'm watching the first season of Profugos, a crime show from Chile. I'm 2 episodes in and it's great so far.

Also, I saw Todo sobre mi madre by Almodovar. One of my missing Almodovar movies.

Italian:

I tried to read some more complex material, but I couldn't keep up. Besides that, nothing much

German:

I had to satisfy wanderlust, so I've been reading half of a chapter a day of Harry Potter.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 56 of 57
02 December 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
It's really good to hear some enthusiastic recommendations for some French shows - I'll be sure to check
them out! Thanks!

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version