Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 65 of 66
17 December 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Today I am alternating between listening to spoken Hungarian and spoken Finnish. I am doing this to avoid burnout from listening to one language for a long time and it is working. I have also noticed that, although both languages place stress on the first syllable of every word, Hungarian sounds more flowing which was something I didn't expect and I actually slightly prefer the rhythmic cadence of Finnish... then again it could be that my very lazy brain really likes hearing a language it understands (somewhat) since I know far more words in Finnish.

Nice try, brain! Thought you could fool me into neglecting to learn Hungarian in favor of just passively listening to spoken Finnish, did you? :) HAH! If I allowed my subconscious to have total control your plan would have worked, but the subconscious part of my brain is not in charge here. Because you wanted to be lazy no Finnish for you until 2014. Take that!

What I really mean by the previous paragraph is that after a while my plan of alternating spoken Hungarian and spoken Finnish stopped working well, so I listened mostly to Hungarian. I also stopped doing the 6WC, I wasn't keeping good records of how much study time I was logging and decided it was better if I just dropped out.

Viszlát
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 17 December 2013 at 11:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 66 of 66
07 January 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
This is my final message in this log and will be a very short summary of my language learning in 2013.

I have read my log in the last few days and noticed that I started off strong in January but was wildly erratic the rest of the year and didn't maintain my focus on languages. There were no serious personal or family issues that caused this, I was inconsistent (I write that a lot, maybe I need to learn another word) but I did learn some Swedish, Italian and Finnish vocabulary which I need to make use of by writing in those languages. Spanish and Afrikaans almost disappeared altogether from my studies and so I will have review what I have already learned. Hungarian is still at a low level but that's not a surprise.

This log is now done and my new log is here

Thanks to all who commented in my log and I wish everyone all the best in 2014!
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 07 January 2014 at 8:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version