Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 17 of 26
19 January 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on finishing Pimsleur and good luck with Assimil. Not everybody loves Assimil, but those who do and manage to go through with it generally end up learning quite a lot. I hope that will be the case with you!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4151 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 18 of 26
22 January 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
It is also fun following my fellow Vikings' logs. Even though the
majority of you seem to be studying Swedish or Danish, I can definitely follow along with
my ground level Norwegian! It is so exciting that by learning one Scandinavian language,
it is almost like getting "three for one"

I know that feeling, it's fun to be able to follow Norwegian/Danish logs as well!
You seem to go through your courses on a fast pace, keep it up!

Lykke til!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6023 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 26
24 January 2013 at 3:31am | IP Logged 

Mini Viking-Challenge #2 Write three sentences about who you have in your family:

OK, I was extra motivated today so I wrote a few more than three sentences!

God kveld alle sammen! Dette uken skal jeg snakke om familien min.   Jeg bor i Oregon men mor min og far min
bor i California. Jeg har ei kone og vi har vært gift i tretten år. Jeg har også en gutt og ei jente. Gutten min er seks
året og datteren min er ti året.   Mine barn liker skolen deres og også gjøre sport.

Her i dag det er kaldt og regn. Det er iskaldt. Kanskje det skal snø i dag her. Jeg vil gjerne gå på ski, men jeg må går
på jobben min istedenfor. Uff!

Edited by liddytime on 24 January 2013 at 5:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 26
24 January 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

Mini Viking-Challenge #2 Write three sentences about who you have in your family:

OK, I was extra motivated today so I wrote a few more than three sentences!

God kveld alle sammen! Dette uken skal jeg snakke om familien min.   Jeg bor i Oregon men mor min og far
min
bor i California. Jeg har ei kone og vi har vært gift i tretten år. Jeg har også en gutt og ei jente. Gutten min er
seks
året og datteren min er ti året.   Mine barn liker skolen deres og også gjøre sport.

Her i dag det er kaldt og regn. Det er iskaldt. Kanskje det skal snø i dag her. Jeg vil gjerne gå på ski, men jeg
må går
på jobben min istedenfor. Uff!

1 God kveld alle sammen!
2 DeNNe uken skal jeg snakke om familien min.   
3 Jeg bor i Oregon men morEN og farEN min bor i California.
4 Jeg har ei kone og vi har vært gift i tretten år.
5 Jeg har også en gutt og ei jente.
6 Gutten min er seks årXX og datteren min er ti årXX.   
7 Mine barn liker skolen SIN og også TRENE/DRIVE MED SPORT.

8 Her i dag det er kaldt og regn.
9 Det er iskaldt.
10 Kanskje det KOMMER snø HER i dag.
11 Jeg vil gjerne gå på ski, men jeg må gåX på jobben min istedenfor. Uff!

1 Perfect
2 DENNE because week is masculine/feminine. DETTE is only used for neuter.
3 You should use the definite form, or it sounds very stylted. It is not grammatically wrong, but I run it by one
of my colleagues who loves grammar and languages, and he said it sounds like something you would find in
an old fairy tale or a dialect, but it is not standard Bokmål.
4 Perfect (I would have used en kone, but ei kone is also correct)
5 Perfect
6 You must use the indefinite - or it would be like saying "My boy is the six years and my girl is the ten years
:-))
7 SIN not DERES. If the subject of the sentence and the owner of the object are the same you must always
use sin/sitt/sine.

Han kysset sin kone.
He kissed his wife (his own wife - subject(he) and owner of the "object" is the same.

Han kysset hans kone.
He kissed his wife(somebody else's wife) - subject (he) and owner of the "object" are two different persons.

I occasionally hear Norwegians make that sort of mistakes, but it usually gives us a good laugh, so it is better
avoided. You are unlikely to be accused of lying about which wife he kissed, given that you are a foreigner,
but it is a nice one to avoid.

8 Perfect
9 Perfect
10 KOMMER TIL Å is more frequent when it is an act outside your control, and you make known no wish.
The other one - (W.o.)
11 Infinitive and not present must be used in this sentence, or it sounds like "I must goes".

Amazing job, keep up the great work!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 24 January 2013 at 6:24pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 21 of 26
24 January 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Hei liddytime! Er du en viking ogsaa? Lykke til!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6023 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 22 of 26
10 February 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
A quick Norwegian update:

I am currently on Lesson 40 of the Assimil course. I had my doubts about how much material I was actually
retaining until I went back and listened to lessons 10-20. Unbelievable. I could understand everything perfectly.
It was a nice confidence boost as the dialogues are getting much more complex. The sentences are more like
“You won’t be able to make it back to shore. Don’t you remember last year when I had to schlep your mother
back to shore and I didn’t even want to swim!” (no joke - lesson 37!!) I need to work on my verbal skills very
badly, but I think this will come in time.

Many people have asked me how I am learning Assimil from a French course when my French is only at a VERY
basic level. The great thing about Norwegian is that it is probably the closest language to the “Germanic-side” of
English that I have studied. I have heard that around 60% of English words come directly from French. Thus, 60%
of Assimil is fairly easy to figure out from French/English cognates. As for the remaining 40%, most of these are
the Germanic words which remained in English. So even if I can’t figure out the French, by going to the
Norwegian side I can almost always figure it out. Example: the French word elan. I have no clue what that is.
But then, I see the Norwegian word is elg, AHA! ELK! (moose, actually, but close enough).

So, about my crazy, multilingual day. At work, I spoke some Lao. What? You speak Lao? Heck no! But I do
know some survival phrases in Thai, which is closely related to Lao. There was a Lao gentleman who spoke very
little English. I walked up to him, smiled and said in a loud, unapologetic voice “SABAI DII!!” (which means “Hi,
good day!” in both Thai and Lao). He looked up, completely shocked with a huge smile and started laughing while
vigorously shaking my hand. He then said something that must have been “Do you speak Lao?”, (I have no clue
whatsoever...). I said back in Thai “ I only speak a little Thai, very badly...”. He then tried to teach me some Lao
(which, unfortunately, I immediately forgot). He said in the years he has in in the US, that was the first time any
non-Lao had shown any interest in speaking Lao to him. The experience was fun for me and I’m sure I made his
day!

The day continued with me going through my Assimil lesson for the day in Norwegian. This was followed by
listening to some “easy-Norwegian-news” with the Klar-Tale podcast.

Norwegian was followed by some German. My 10 year old daughter has shown interest in learning German so I’m
doing a little experiment. I have the Assimil German course so the two of us are going through the course
together. We are only spending 10 minutes a day on it and we shall see how far she can come in 100 days.

Later that evening I read several pages of Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis which had been translated into Spanish.
Among other things, I discovered that hijab translates to pañuelo (who knew?)

The evening ended with another Assimil lesson; but this time it was Czech. Czech?!? Sigh.... I know, I know. I
got the Assimil Czech course for an absolute steal and it was looking really lonely sitting on my shelf … So I’m
taking 15 minutes a day and going through the Czech course in addition to Norwegian.

I know, I’m a hopeless language geek....

Edited by liddytime on 11 February 2013 at 1:02am

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6023 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 23 of 26
10 March 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
I'm still here!!!

Due to a crazy work schedule I haven't posted here in a while... but I'm still pluggin' along with Norwegian. I'm
currently on Leksjon 60 of Assimil.   I'm noticing that it is taking me much longer to get through a lesson since
lesson 50. It seems that the new vocabulary per lesson has doubled - I'm not even doing the active phase! I've
stopped the Czech as well....   just not enough time...

I've revised my goal by the end of the year for Norsk. I'm just trying to reach the goal of having a Norwegian
conversation with clear comprehension and minimal word searching. There's no way I will be fluent by the end of
the year: but that is OK. I'm having a blast and loving the Norwegian language!!!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 24 of 26
10 March 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Hey liddytime, maybe it's too early to revise your goals. I've felt the same with
Assimil, yet it's been 7 months that I've been learning Norwegian and I think by the end
of the year all will get better. Norwegian isn't an alien language after all, and you get
the advantage of so much daily life vocabulary that has a common Germanic root!

I suggest that you revise your goals again once you've finished Assimil and you are able
to try a second resource. Then you'll know how your skills will be.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version