26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6022 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 25 of 26
04 April 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
A quick update:
I am still trying to work my way through Le Norvégien Sans Peine. I am on Leksjon 70 of the passive phase. I tried
doing the active phase, but I just don't have enough time for both phases concurrently. Instead of the active phase,
I have just been downloading sentences into Anki and reviewing them when I have a spare moment.   

My impressions with Assimil have been mixed. I have found that reading Norwegian is hands down my best skill so
far. My comprehension is "OK" (podcasts, news broadcasts etc...) and my speaking/conversational skills are
horrible! I wonder if Assimil throws so much new vocabulary at the student in such a short time that there is no way
one can "pull the words out of the air" when trying to speak. When reading a passage on the other hand, it is easier
to figure out the words from context. I'm getting pretty burned out on it right now but I keep telling myself, "only
30 units to go!!"
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 26 of 26
04 April 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I always try to encourage people to finish their books, liddytime. I'm sure that once you've finished this Assimil Norvégien you will find other books much easier. You have the advantage of having English cognates for figuring out Norwegian words. If you had to rely on French, you'd have to deal with C2 French vocabulary, unaccessible even for my French level, like I told you. So, I can say was also suffering from burnout when I reached that lesson, having to translate a lot from French so I could understand the Norwegian.

Do you know what is coming next for your Norwegian? Any other resources in mind? Maybe you could proceed straight to native resources, or check out a grammar mostly for word order issues.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version