someone asking me if I was "fluent", but always answer like "It depends on
what you call fluent, I can...".

I would say yes if I met my own criteria above. :) Otherwise I'd say "I can
get by" or something along those lines.

georgedick wrote:

I like the way of answering this in Spanish, "me puedo defender..." (I can
defend myself...)

And the Japanese way is to say you're not very good yet. Giving this
response (particularly in response to a compliment on one's Japanese)
usually informs the other person that you are, in fact, quite good in spite
of your humility. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

hagen
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6770 days ago

171 posts - 179 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 82 of 106
21 September 2006 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:

I would say yes if I met my own criteria above. :) Otherwise I'd say "I can get by" or something along those lines.

Well, meeting your definition of fluency as native-like proficiency obviously scales down to all other possible definitions... :-)

Captlemuel
Groupie
United States
Joined 6532 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 83 of 106
30 September 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Charlie said: "I just noticed this discussion while searching Google for 'I hate Pimsleur' (because I do).

"The definition of 'fluency' seems pretty simple to me. If you can enter a university and take classes in the target language (aside from language instruction courses), and pass, then you're fluent. If you can't do this, then you're not fluent.

"I live in Seoul, South Korea, and study full-time at Yonsei University's Korean Language Institute. I spend four hours a day in-class. I know how to tell when someone is 'fluent' in Korean, and when someone isn't. Most people who say they are 'fluent' are not fluent."

So, Charlie, you are saying that you know that the majority of people who say that they are fluent in Korean actually failed their classes taught in the Korean language? and that they are therefore not fluent? And to tell whether someone is fluent, you find out what his or her grades were?

Edited by Captlemuel on 02 October 2006 at 5:46pm

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6494 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 84 of 106
30 September 2006 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
There is also the issue of when to mark oneself as basic fluent on this very website. I like reading language profiles, and over the past hundred or so, I've come across people on one end of the spectrum with 'bf' after little more than Pimsleur 1, while on the other end, there are many people with more than 23 or 25 'skills' who still classify their languages as intermediate. In between, many declare 'bf' after 10, 15, or 20 skills. It may not be possible to commonly agree on what 'bf' means outside of this site, but I wonder if there was a particular number of skills intended to be completed under the current system before one 'bffed' oneself, or if it was always meant to be completely up to the person. I suspect the latter, but it's always fun to ask. :^)

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 85 of 106
01 October 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
lengua wrote:
It may not be possible to commonly agree on what 'bf' means outside of this site, but I wonder if there was a particular number of skills intended to be completed under the current system before one 'bffed' oneself, or if it was always meant to be completely up to the person. I suspect the latter, but it's always fun to ask. :^)

You suspect correctly. However, the numbers of skills posted is not the issue - it's the level of skills that matter.

For example, I'm unlikely to be concerned that someone who can "Always" do "Advanced Public Speaking" may not have fully mastered the material in Pimsleur I to III because they don't have it on their skill profile.

I have nothing below "Dictionary Use" on my French and Spanish profiles and even with that left in (because I got rid of some) I feel like I've ticked the "can tie own shoelaces" or "is able to eat soup without dribbling" box.

Andy.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 86 of 106
02 October 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Captlemuel (quoting Charlie) wrote:
'The definition of "fluency" seems pretty simple to me. If you can enter a university and take classes in the target language (aside from language instruction courses), and pass, then you're fluent. If you can't do this, then you're not fluent.

Sorry to seem negative, but there is no virtue in it being simple if it is dead wrong.

There are many problems with that definition:
- It puts no requirement on speaking abilites.
    ( You could probably pass in a subject like math
      with only elementary knowledge of the language.)
- Your skills, interest and talent for the subject
    matter being studied, completely unrelated to
    language skills, would influence whether you
    are "fluent" or not.
- Many other non-language related characteristics,
    are needed for successful university studies.
- Many native speakers would not qualify as "fluent".

EDIT: Captlemuel, I just noticed that those were not your words. You were quoting somebody else, though it was really hard to see that at first glance. It is better to use the standard format for quotes to avoid confusion. In any case, my comment is still valid.

Edited by Hencke on 02 October 2006 at 9:18pm

Charlie
Korea, South
geocities.com/charle
Joined 6451 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 87 of 106
02 October 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Captlemuel wrote:
Charlie said: 'I just noticed this discussion while searching Google for "I hate Pimsleur" (because I do).

'The definition of "fluency" seems pretty simple to me. If you can enter a university and take classes in the target language (aside from language instruction courses), and pass, then you're fluent. If you can't do this, then you're not fluent.

'I live in Seoul, South Korea, and study full-time at Yonsei University's Korean Language Institute. I spend four hours a day in-class. I know how to tell when someone is "fluent" in Korean, and when someone isn't. Most people who say they are "fluent" are not fluent.'

So, Charlie, you are saying that you know that the majority of people who say that they are fluent in Korean actually failed their classes taught in the Korean language? and that they are therefore not fluent? And to tell whether someone is fluent, you find out what his or her grades were?

You guys can continue to debate about semantics. It bothers me slightly that you guys have a problem with the concept of a "standard," but in the end, I know that employers and academic institutions look at results on paper, not a self-assessment. Yes, employers will ask for your grades. If they don't look at your grades, they'll look at whether or not you passed, or they'll see what kind of school you went to. If you got a diploma from a school in the language, many employers may consider that "fluent." However, there are some people in this forum who want to say "let's do away with standards entirely." Go ahead, think that way! Your lax standards will make it much easier for me to find a job, because while you're sitting on your laurels saying "I'm fluent," I'll be the one who gets the job because I showed concrete evidence.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 106
02 October 2006 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Charlie wrote:
However, there are some people in this forum who want to say "let's do away with standards entirely." Go ahead, think that way! Your lax standards will make it much easier for me to find a job, because while you're sitting on your laurels saying "I'm fluent," I'll be the one who gets the job because I showed concrete evidence.

This assumes that we are studying languages in order to obtain employment. A great deal of us have no real need to learn any language but we do so anyway for various other reasons.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version