Joined 6889 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 65 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Platiquemos wrote:
Nowhere in the sites I've cited will you find "fluent"--instead you'll find very detailed descriptions of what is needed at different proficiency levels.

Thanks for setting us straight on the issue!

luke wrote:

AML wrote:
I suggest that, for the purposes of these boards, we use this scale, whereas:

1= Beginner
2= Intermediate
3= Basic Fluency
4= Advanced Fluency
5= Native Fluency

I'm in total agreement.

So am I. Based on the Platiquemos’ descriptions of the proficiency levels I think a level 3 in listening/reading and a 2+ in speaking would still pass for the forum’s rating of Basic Fluency.

Edited by Farley on 19 September 2006 at 9:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6565 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 66 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Mostly to Charlie and Captain Haddock: If fluency for you only can be taken to mean the highest level of competence of speaking and writing that a non-native person can ever aspire to, then I suppose that the notion of basic fluency must be meaningless to you?

Yes, "basic fluency" as used on this site is meaningless, but there is a level of ability that is short of native ability, yet fluent. On the other hand, being able to stumble through a conversation is not fluency. It is called "competence", a word that allows for a qualitative range (basic competence, advanced competence, etc.). "Proficiency" is a similarly gradable word.

If someone says he's fluent in English, I expect to converse with him as effortlessly and smoothly as any native — without notable mistakes or pronunciation issues, and without resorting to simplified language. I expect him to know every word and idiom I use. That doesn't mean I expect him to have the same intuitive understanding of the language as a native; that bar is higher yet (and some do reach it).

There's no point in trying to redefine "fluent" as anything less than "fluent" unless someone's trying to claim an accolade he hasn't earned yet. I haven't earned the label "fluent" for any of my languages yet, and I don't need to redefine the word for my ego.

The word "fluent" is not useless or meaningless. It's just that people exaggerate or overestimate their skills. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 67 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
... there is a level of ability that is short of native ability, yet fluent.

The scale I use for myself is just "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced". "Beginning fluency" as used here is still "intermediate" to me.

What I see as the separating line between "intermediate" and "advanced" is when one no longer has to rephrase all the time, but can usually say what one wants the way one meant to say it. (There is plenty of work left even after one crosses that line.)

Edited by frenkeld on 19 September 2006 at 9:53pm

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6653 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 68 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I expect him to know every word and idiom I use. That doesn't mean I expect him to have the same intuitive understanding of the language as a native; that bar is higher yet (and some do reach it).

That already sounds like too high of a bar. Native English speakers from different regions misunderstand each other all the time due to a difference in words and idioms, yet nobody would claim the other isn't fluent. I would agree that misunderstandings should be minimal, but whenever such an occasion arises and a clarification is needed--the clarification should be understood.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6889 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 69 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
There's no point in trying to redefine "fluent" as anything less than "fluent" unless someone's trying to claim an accolade he hasn't earned yet. I haven't earned the label "fluent" for any of my languages yet, and I don't need to redefine the word for my ego.

Haddock, sorry for stirring the topic up again but… I made reference to this above on this topic a while back. Is the issue the use of Basic Fluency on this forum (as it relates to FSI proficiency levels)? Or is that you think that some of us are unjustly awarding ourselves badges and honors?

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6481 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 70 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
It seems more and more as if the problem isn't simply due to an imprecise definition of "the word", but due to the tendency of some to try to apply their impossibly-long metersticks to the rest of the language-learning world. People are creating impossible standards, and standing on top of them and declaring "you must do THIS and THIS and ESPECIALLY THIS OR ELSE you're not (the word)!!!" It's starting to seem quite childish.

This thread is nearly indistinguishable from the Ziad Fazah thread, where we have people arguing that one needs to know more words than those found in the collected works of Shakespeare in order to truly be "the word". If it isn't a word-count, it's the ability to "take college classes", or "debate in front of scholars", or "speak and understand without any errors", or "write university essays", or "speak for hours without tiring while standing on your head" other impractical qualifications 9 out of every 10 human beings on Earth would fail.

This to me suggests that the people battling so...eagerly...to turn "the word" into the linguistic equivalent of growing three heads makes me think it's sort of a wolf-in-the-manger issue - an "if I can't call myself (the word), I'm going to do my best to make sure no one else possibly can either" complex. And that's just silly. I know I should stay out of this thread, and I will after this, but I had to make my feelings known on the matter. Building straw towers and asking everyone else to climb them seems to run against the very spirit one should have in trying to learn a foreign language - or a dozen.

Edited by lengua on 19 September 2006 at 9:55pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 71 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
lengua wrote:
Building straw towers and asking everyone else to climb them seems to run against the very spirit one should have in trying to learn a foreign language - or a dozen.

It is not a straw tower to aim for near-native fluency. Whether one wants to do that is really a matter of choice, but it can and has been done, although most definitely not with a dozen languages.

Edited by frenkeld on 19 September 2006 at 9:56pm

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6481 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 72 of 106
19 September 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
lengua wrote:
Building straw towers and asking everyone else to climb them seems to run against the very spirit one should have in trying to learn a foreign language - or a dozen.

It is not a straw tower to aim for near-native fluency - it has been done. Whether one wants to do that is really a matter of choice, but it can be done, although most definitely not with a dozen languages.

However, this thread isn't about near-native fluency. It's titled "basic-fluency". This is what I'm talking about with the straw-tower issue. :^) If we apply the standards necessary for near-native fluency (whatever those are) to a discussion about what is needed for 'basic' fluency, then it becomes impossible to have a basic fluency in any language - because we're judging it by n-n fluency standards. If we're going to talk about n-n fluency, let's do so, but let's do so on a thread dedicated to the topic. Or else we have two groups of people talking about two completely different things, and neither will agree with the other.

And for the record, I fully believe it is possible to acquire near-native proficiency in a dozen languages.

Edited by lengua on 19 September 2006 at 11:01pm

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version